- "Good morning, students. The district has decided today will be a half day. Repeat, today will be a half day. When the bell rings, proceed to your buses... (...) in a calm, orderly fashion."
- —Art to the high school students over the intercom.[src]
Art was shown to care deeply about the school, as well as his students, as seen when he dismissed school early as a safety precaution. He stayed at the school up until his demise.
Nothing is known about Art's life prior to the outbreak, except that he serves as the principal of Paul R. Williams High School in Los Angeles.
Art is often seen greeting students and staff at the beginning of each school day. When one student, Tobias, triggers the metal detectors, Art tries to stop him, but Madison Clark intervenes and pats him down, stating his loose change must have set off the alarm. Later, Art is observed listening in on classroom discussions as a part of teacher evaluations. During another school day, Art sees many of his faculty and staff watching a video regarding a walker attacking emergency services. At the start of a new school day, Art is shocked to see only five students get off of a school bus, due to the flu. With such a low attendance at school, Art contacts the district office and decides to dismiss the school early.
Art is first seen walking in a hallway at the high school, talking to another staff member over the walkie-talkie. He hears a noise and turns. Eventually, Madison and Tobias encounter him as they leave the school, discovering that he's undead. Madison tries to talk to him, saying that she can get him help, but an undead Art attacks her. Tobias attempts to attack him with his knife, but he is unfazed by the attack (as Tobias hits his torso and not the head) and the two tumble down some stairs. Art tries to bite Tobias, but Madison grabs a fire extinguisher and hits him several times on the head, eventually killing him.
- Killed By
- Zombies (Alive, Off-Screen)
Somehow, as Art is walking around the school, he is attacked and bitten by a walker.
- Madison Clark (Zombified)
While escaping the school with medicine for Nick, Madison and Tobias encounter a zombified Art.
After Madison tries to tell him they'll get him help, he attacks, only for Tobias to intervene and attempt to put him down with his knife. The two tumble down a flight of stairs with Tobias struggling to push off the zombified man, however he is saved when Madison uses a fire extinguisher to bash Art's head in.
- The casting call for this character used the name Canning.
- Art was described as "30s. Hispanic. He is an Alpha male that loves his family. He is from a gritty neighborhood."
- During the "In Memoriam" segment of the Talking Dead episode for the season finale of Season 1 his surname was misspelled as "Caster".
- http://spoilthedead.com/forum/showthread.php/18968-Five-New-Roles-for-FTWD-Eric-Tanner-Cullen-Canning-Dr-Mason - Spoil the Dead.com (May 15, 2015)