Athena Mukherjee is a survivor of the outbreak in AMC's Fear The Walking Dead. She appears both as a hallucinated version of Grace's unborn child approximately 16 years into the future as well as a newborn baby in present day.
Athena saves Grace's life killing the walker with a fighting stick. She offers to bring Grace to her community. Athena takes Grace to Valley Town. Morgan greets them outside, but he is much older and does not recognize Grace. Morgan takes Grace to her grave and says that she died in labor, due to her radiation exposure. He says that Athena is her child. Morgan says that everyone reunited after Athena was born.
Althea, Morgan and Grace go out on a run. Athena listens to music on a cassette player and says it's the only thing she has left from her mother. They see a rusty car painted with the words, "The End." The car explodes, throwing Grace to the ground where she experiences several flashbacks, including of her lover Matthew. Grace wakes up and screams Morgan's name. Athena helps her as walkers show up. Grace and Athena flee from the walkers.
Grace tells Athena that they're in trouble. Grace asks Athena to take her to the vet's office in the hopes that it will help her wake up. Riley's gang finds Athena and Grace on the road. Athena and Grace both double over in pain. Grace reveals to Athena that she is her mother, and that she needs to wake up so that Athena can be born. Grace laments that it's taking too long to reach the vet's office. A white horse shows up out of nowhere. Grace describes Athena's father as they ride the horse toward the vet's office. They hear Morgan's voice as they get closer.
Athena and Grace arrive at the barn. Grace tells Athena that she will die soon due to radiation poisoning, but predicts that Athena will unite everyone and inspire hope at Valley Town. Riley's gang arrives at the barn. Grace tells Athena to hide, but Athena insists on fighting. Riley's gang approaches. Grace and Athena fight Riley's gang. Grace sees the key on Athena's necklace. Athena says that Morgan gave it to her as a reminder of the cost of peace. Grace drops to the ground. Riley grabs Athena and slams her against a wall. He grabs the key from her neck. However, Morgan appears and puts Riley down with his staff, saving Athena.
Grace hugs Athena and says that she will always be with her. She steps toward the barn doors. Grace regains consciousness and tells Morgan that she saw the future in a dream. She says that she is going to die in labor but that Athena will make everything okay.
In reality, Grace records songs for Athena to listen to. Riley holds them at gunpoint and demands the key. Grace urges Morgan to hand over the key and says that the future lies in Athena, not the key. Morgan hands the key over. Riley leaves. Grace assures Morgan that Athena will unite everyone. Grace goes into labor. Morgan delivers the baby, but she is stillborn. Grace cradles Athena and cries. She realizes that her dream was about Athena's final moments, not her own. She says that her hopes for the future were just a dream.
Athena will appear in this episode.
- Killed By
- Reactor Meltdown (Indirectly Caused)
Due to absorbing deadly radiation from her mother's body in utero, Athena was stillborn.
- Morgan Jones (Presumably, Before Reanimation)
Morgan presumably destroyed her brain before she reanimated.
- "Six Hours" (Archive Footage)
- Athena, being stillborn, is the youngest named character to die in the Fear The Walking Dead.
- Aside from Esmerelda Ortiz who was killed while Amelia was pregnant with her, Athena is the youngest character across The Walking Dead franchise to die.
- Athena was mentioned in "USS Pennsylvania" when Morgan tells Grace she is alive for a reason.
- It's confirmed in "Acheron: Part II" that even unborn children can turn into walkers, meaning that either Morgan or Grace put Athena down off-screen.
|Language||Dubber||Other Characters Voiced|
|Spanish (Latin America)||N/A||N/A|
|Spanish (Spain)||Cristal Barreyro||N/A|
- In "In Dreams" Inside Look on AMC Premiere, the writers explained that Athena had died because of absorbing the deadly radiation in her mother's body, something that Grace knew was a possibility and had told Morgan that she had feared happening.