Not much is known about Beckett's life prior to or as the outbreak began, except that he and his family owned a cabin on the banks of the Pigeon River in the Great Smoky Mountains, so it is possible he lived near the Tennessee or North Carolina area.
At some point during the outbreak, Beckett joined a group known as the Civic Republic Military. While working with Isabelle and Dennis, he would often tell them about his family's cabin, and the incredible view that it had. He also carried the key to said cabin around with him. While in Texas on one of the CRM's first resource runs, Beckett served as the lead on their mission. He and Isabelle witnessed the aftermath of a nearby power plant meltdown and the radioactive walkers that it had created. Beckett cracked after seeing the radioactive walkers and went crazy at the thought of ending up like them. Despite protocol, Isabelle hesitated to kill her friend and partner, leading to them exchanging fire. Beckett was ultimately shot and killed by Isabelle, but she failed to put him down. As a result, Beckett reanimated and joined a herd.
Following a plane crashing nearby, a zombified Beckett is lured to the crash site and is amongst the herd that attacks Morgan's group. He goes after Al who is unable to stab him in the head due to his helmet. She manages to fling him backwards, impaling Beckett on the landing gear and records him with her video camera, interested in his black armor. That night, Al returns to the crash site to investigate more about the zombified Beckett. She pulls off his mask, puts him down, and starts recording. She discovers the outfit has some wires on and finds some laminated documents with maps with a three-circled symbol and the initials "CRM" written on it. She radios Morgan to tell him there's a story here until she's tasered from behind. She falls down unconscious as Isabelle stands over her.
When John Dorie returns to the crash site, he finds Beckett's body gone, suggesting that his group removed it after capturing Al. Unaware that Al had put him down, John speculates that he slipped free in the rain and got away, possibly chased by Al.
Shortly after being kidnapped by Isabelle, Al witnesses Isabelle pour gunpowder on Beckett's corpse and then set it on fire. Al takes the opportunity created by Beckett's cremation to escape. Later, while Isabelle is on the radio, Beckett is revealed to have been the leader of the two who Isabelle states is KIA due to a breach of protocol and not hostiles. Isabelle eventually explains to Al what had happened to Beckett and shows her the key to the cabin Beckett had always told her about. Instead of keeping the key, Isabelle tosses it off of a cliff.
- Killed By
- Himself (Caused)
- Isabelle (Alive, Off-Screen)
After Beckett went insane, Isabelle was forced to shoot and kill him.
- Althea Szewczyk-Przygocki (Zombified)
Upon rediscovering the zombified Beckett, Al stabs him in the head.
This list shows the victims Beckett has killed:
- Himself (Caused, Alive)
- Possibly numerous counts of zombies and unnamed people
- Beckett is the first named member of Civic Republic Military to appear in the TV universe.
- He is also the first member of the Civic Republic Military confirmed dead on-screen.
- It's unknown why Isabelle failed to put him down before reanimation, particularly as she took the time to cremate his body later to keep anyone from knowing about the Civic Republic Military's presence in the area.
- In the World Beyond series finale, "The Last Light", Dennis Graham mentions Beckett and his cabin while talking to Huck. It's revealed that he and Dennis were friends and that Dennis doesn't know what became of Beckett.
- This indicates that the CRM covered up the details of his fate for unknown reasons.