Brett was born in Montgomery, Alabama, the eldest of five sisters. She was the star of the ABC television show Grace Under Fire from 1993 to 1998. In February 1998, due to her erratic behavior stemming from substance abuse, she was dismissed from the show and the series was canceled.
She moved out of Los Angeles and onto a farm in Georgia where she lived with 15 pets. In 2008, she headlined at an arts fundraiser and spoke freely with a reporter about her depression, past drug addiction, television work, and current life on a farm. She also expressed interest in writing another book.
- Grace Under Fire
- The Young an the Restless
- Anger Management
- The Comedian
- How To Get Away With Murder
- Her trademark is her baritone speaking-voice
- She has four younger sisters named Tana, Toren, Kristen and Katy.
- She was named after Lady Brett Ashley in The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway. Her mother's remarriage to Bob Butler when Brett was six changed her surname from Anderson to Butler.