|This article is about the TV Series character. You may be looking for his Comic Series counterpart or the Road to Survival character.|
Carter is a former antagonist and a survivor of the outbreak in AMC's The Walking Dead. He is a resident of the Alexandria Safe-Zone. Carter is also part of the construction crew alongside Abraham Ford, Bruce, Francine, Tommy, and Tobin. He served as the primary antagonist of the episode "First Time Again".
Nothing is known about Carter's life prior to or as the outbreak began.
At some point in the apocalypse, Carter joined a community called the Alexandria Safe-Zone where, upon being interviewed by Deanna, he was appointed as a member of the construction crew. He also helped Reg build the walls surrounding the community in the first months.
Over time, Carter aided his crew in gathering materials from a nearby mall construction site to be used for the upcoming expansion of the community's walls, which lasted for around eight weeks.
Carter attends the meeting at Deanna's house regarding how to handle the mega herd at the quarry where he expresses his concerns about Rick's plan, while accusing him of his erratic behavior days earlier, before being forced to accept it on Deanna's orders. However, still angry at Rick's presence in the community, he organizes a secret meeting a few days later with Olivia, Spencer, Francine, and Tobin with the intention of exiling him from Alexandria. When Eugene is caught spying on them, Carter tries to cover up the complot by killing him when suddenly Rick, Daryl, and Morgan enter the pantry after hearing noise and Rick reduces Carter to his knees but eventually decides to spare him after hearing his pathetic pleas.
In the following days, Carter is among the volunteers to help build the wall on one of the roads to deter the mega herd in the operation to lure it away from Alexandria. One day as they are in mid-construction, he and the other Alexandrians are almost bitten by walkers until Morgan saves them after ignoring Rick's suggestion of forcing the scared residents to learn how to defend themselves. When the plan is set into motion and works successfully, he realizes that Rick was right and makes peace with him. While running through the forest alone to check the north side of the herd, Carter is surprised by a lone walker and is bitten in the cheek. As he starts screaming in shock, Rick arrives and stabs him in order to relieve his suffering and to not attract any walker.
- Killed By
- Zombies (Caused)
While Carter is rushing to the front of the herd, a stray walker grabs him and bites him on the cheek. He begins screaming out of sheer pain and visceral fear and by doing so attracts more walkers.
- Rick Grimes (Out of Mercy)
Out of mercy and necessity, Rick is forced to stab him through the back of his neck to stop him from screaming, and to relieve him of his suffering.
This list shows the victims Carter has killed:
- Possibly numerous counts of zombies
The two seem to have a fairly poor relationship with each other. At the beginning of "First Time Again", he tells Rick that they are not ready for this, and with the other Alexandrians at the scene, flee in fear. Several scenes later on show that he did not like Rick's presence in the community. Rick even tells Morgan that people like Carter would always die regardless of what happens as they are too inexperienced to deal with walker situations. Carter seems to distrust Rick, since he attempted to convince Spencer, Francine, Tobin, and Olivia to make a plan to take down Rick, showing that they have a strained relationship. At the end of the episode, a few moments before finally meeting his fate, however, Carter shows signs of regretting his actions towards Rick, as he tries to make peace with him by finally accepting that he was right and offers a hand shake which Rick accepts. When he gets bitten by a walker, Rick shows sympathy for him by trying to calm him down, but with his death inevitable due to the bite wound being on his face, Rick stabs him in the back of the end to put him out of his misery, and to prevent any walkers being attracted from the screams.
- The casting call for this character used the name Tucker.
- Carter was described as "Mid 30s. A hardworking man with tough fairness. He's a guy who can also be articulate and feel like a leader. When push comes to shove, he's willing to take extreme measures to protect what he has, even if it gets him in over his head."
- Carter is the first character to die in Season 6.
- Ethan Embry's character was first revealed at the San Diego Comic Con in June 2015 and had a few lines in the Season 6 trailer.
- On July 29, 2015, his character was officially revealed: "Gimple says Carter serves as a composite of different people from the original comic. “Ethan plays a combo of a few characters that we actually haven't hit yet or weren't able to hit in other characters,” says Gimple. “He is an Alexandrian, and has been there the whole time, just quite busy.” From the looks of the season 6 trailer that was released at Comic-Con, Carter now looks like he'll be busy trying to turn the community against Rick for all the violence that has come to town. We'll see how that pans out for him."
- Ethan Embry is a huge fan of the show and has auditioned for other characters, including Shane and Rick.