|This article is about the father of Tara and Lilly Chambler in the TV Series. You may be looking for his Novel Series counterpart, the other Novel Series character, the Hilltop character in Road to Survival, the Train Fuel Depot survivor in Road to Survival, the Savior in Road to Survival, the Hunter in the Comic Series, the Alexandrian resident in the Comic Series, the Hilltop resident in the Comic Series, the Savior in the Comic Series, the prison resident in the TV Series, the Alexandrian resident in the TV Series, the Video Game character, the actor, the photographer, or the screenwriter.|
- "When my girls were born, that's when I finally figured out what it was to be a man... you know a real man. You protect them, you keep them safe. You just try to make them stronger until they can look out for themselves. But this here, I... I never counted on this."
- —David to Philip Blake regarding fatherhood and cancer.[src]
Little is known about David's life prior to or as the outbreak began, except that he has two daughters, Tara and Lilly, and a young granddaughter, Meghan. David once served in a war and worked as a Gorbelli's food truck driver. At some point before the outbreak, he was diagnosed with lung cancer. When he first heard about the outbreak, he was working and managed to pick up Meghan, Lilly, and Tara before barricading them inside an apartment building in a small town.
Lilly mentioned to the Governor, at this time known as the pseudonym Brian Heriot, that, when the outbreak first began, David drove his food truck to pick-up his daughters and granddaughter from their work and school and the family was able to survive off of the non-perishable foods that were in David's truck at the time.
Following the apocalypse, David lived with his daughters Tara and Lilly, and his granddaughter, Meghan. He had lung cancer and was not expected to live as long as he had. He died in bed at home. Due to their seclusion and consequent inexperience with walkers, his daughters were not aware that everyone turns regardless of the cause of death, so he turned and attacked Tara. The Governor put him down. After that, they buried his body and left the apartment.
- Killed By
- Lung Cancer (Alive)
David dies from his lung cancer.
- The Governor (Zombified)
After he reanimates, he tries to attack Tara, before the Governor smashes his head in using one of his oxygen tanks.
This list shows the victims David has killed:
- Possibly a few zombies
Lilly seemed to have cared for her father and took care of him when he was sick of lung cancer.
Tara was seen to be very protective of her father. When he died, Tara held his hand until he turned and tried to bite her.
Lilly told the Governor that David was the only one that can make Meghan smile. When his zombie was killed by the Governor, it caused Meghan to stop trusting The Governor.
It can be assumed that these two were good friends, as David referred to Bill as his "war buddy."
David seemed to have a good relationship with Philip, especially when David asked Philip to get the board game and to kill his buddy, Bill. Phillip also risked his life to get oxygen tanks for David, which he was very grateful for.
- "Live Bait" (Flashback)
- The casting call for this character used the name Don.
- David was described as "A sometimes grumpy man between the age of 50 and 70 years old who has a granddaughter."
- He is one of the few people to have died of natural causes.
- It is possible that David served in the military alongside Bill Jenkins as he refers to him as his "war buddy" and a photo of them can be seen in uniform in Bill's apartment.
- He is the only person the Governor shows remorse for after killing.
- David is one of five known cancer patients in the TV Series, with Michael Coleman, Molly, Lucille, and Ezekiel being the other four.