- "We're all fucking dead because of you! You blew a hole in our wall! Got my little girl killed! Got my whole fucking family killed! Richmond was fine until your stupid ass showed up! We're dead fucking meat, David! Might as well take out this asshole whilst I can! Ida was my baby!"
- —Fern to Javier and the group (Determinant)[src]
Fern is an original character and an antagonist who first appears in Telltale Games' The Walking Dead: Season Three. She is a quarantine guard for the New Frontier, and also the wife of Rufus and the mother of Ida.
Nothing is known about Fern's life prior to or as the outbreak began, other than that she married Rufus and has a child, Ida. Fern may have lived in or near Richmond at the time.
Not much us known about Ferns time at The New Frontier other than she witnessed a bite victim being successfully amputated and living afterwards.
Fern is first seen rushing to Javier's group, telling them that they have to follow their procedures and regulations. Fern and Tripp argue and determinatly Javier can too. She escortes all the group to the quarantine holding area. Eleanor is reunited with the group meaning that Fern most likely took her there herself. Fern then locks the group in the quarantine holding area.
Fern confirms that she witnessed the death of Joan (Determinant). She was most likely in the crowd whilst Joan giving her speech to the audience.
During the madness and mayhem, Fern was shot in the arm and she confirms that her daughter was behind her but fell behind and died. She is seen beside her dying husband Rufus in Eleanor's apartment where she is treating him. When Javi and his group enter the room, she becomes hysterical and points a gun at him, blaming him for her family's deaths and the walkers invading Richmond. With the help of Kate, Javi helps Fern lower the trigger and out of nowhere, David breaks her arm to ensure she doesn't do it again. Scared and wounded, Fern stumbles back away from David, who thinks she's reaching for a gun, and nearly kills her without his son Gabe's intervention. She is last seen dazed and tearful, a freshly widowed and childless woman, as she's looked after by Eleanor.
When Richmond is restored, her fate is unknown, but it can be implied she stayed in Richmond.
This list shows the victims Fern has killed:
- Rufus (Indirectly Caused, Out of Mercy, Determinant)
- Numerous counts of zombies and possibly unnamed people
- Fern's name is confirmed in the credits of "Above The Law".
- Fern is one of five characters who survive Season 3 regardless of the player's choices. The others being Clementine, Paul Monroe, Javier García and Eleanor.
- She's the only character introduced as a resident of Richmond to survive regardless.
- Fern's facial expressions and animations originally did not work properly, resulting in a blank, emotionless expression in her scenes in "From The Gallows". This was fixed with a new patch, which also changed the color of her subtitles from white (usually used for minor and/or unnamed characters) to turquoise.
- She is credited in "Thicker Than Water" but does not appear in the episode.
- Fern is one of six characters confirmed to have outlived their children, the others being Kenny, Vernon, the stranger, Rufus (Determinant) and Conrad.
- Originally Fern was on the memorial wall near the end of Episode 5, seen in early concept art. Her death was scrapped for unknown reasons.