- "My dad doesn't think we're safe. He helped make this place, and he doesn't think it's safe. I've never seen him scared, not even when the dead rose. But he is. (...) He said he should have known, that it would never end, that violence begets violence. (...) He said it's just starting. He wants to go. He wants to leave the ranch. I'm scared. (...) Well, he doesn't believe that. He knows a colony in Colorado. Dad says the Rockies will be safe, at elevation. (...) Anyone who will listen. He feels responsible. He's a founder."
- —Gretchen to Madison about her father, Vernon.[src]
Gretchen Trimbol is a survivor of the outbreak in AMC's Fear The Walking Dead. She is a resident of the Broke Jaw Ranch community, alongside her parents Kathy Trimbol and Vernon Trimbol and her brother Mike Trimbol.
Gretchen is first seen in Charlene's memorial service. After the memorial service Gretchen introduces herself to Madison and Alicia and offers them her condolences for Travis' death, she then invites Alicia to join Bible study. Later, Gretchen, Alicia, Gabe, and Terrance go to the underground hangout spot where they drink, smoke from a bong, and talk. She listens intently as Alicia shares her experiences outside the ranch. Later that evening, Gretchen and the others return to the main part of the ranch in good spirits.
Gretchen enters the Clark's bunkhouse, and asks for Alicia. Madison tells her she's busy and asks about Mike. Gretchen reveals that Mike credits Madison for saving his life. Her entire family is scared of Walker. Her father helped create this place and he is scared enough to want to leave for a colony in Colorado.
The Trimbol family load supplies onto the back of a truck. Troy guards the pantry and forbids residents from leaving the ranch with supplies. Then Vernon tells him that they already spoke with Jeremiah.
When they attempt to leave, Troy charges toward the gate and insists they keep it closed. He tells Vernon to open to the door. They won't open it. Troy approaches and insists they can't leave with ranch property. They have some of the ranch's gas and supplies. Jake tries to stop him but ultimately punches him. Jeremiah rushes in and punches Troy as a result and Madison breaks it up. The gate is opened and Vernon's family leaves with Gretchen waving farewell to Alicia.
Jeremiah, Madison, and Nick exit their truck having found Vernon's RV. It's been shot and ravaged. There is a zombie slamming around inside. Jeremiah puts two down with two shots. Nick examines gun shot on the side of the RV. The zombies inside were Vernon and Kathy. Mike is dead behind the RV. Behind the RV, Gretchen and other walkers are eating a horse on the trailer. Madison freezes. Nick puts Gretchen down. Moments later, they have gathered the bodies. Madison is taken back by the fact that Gretchen is Alicia's age.
- Killed By
- Troy Otto (Alive, Off-Screen)
Troy catches up with the Trimbol's RV and attempts to talk to Mike. The situation escalates and Troy ends up killing the entire family, including Gretchen.
- Nicholas Clark (Zombified)
After finding them, a zombified Gretchen is shot in the head by Nick.
This list shows the victims Gretchen has killed:
- 1 unnamed horse (Infected, Caused)
- Possibly numerous counts of zombies