The "Helicopter Group" refers to an unknown group of survivors first introduced in Season 8 of AMC's The Walking Dead. The group possesses one or multiple helicopters that are used as transportation to collect new survivors and search for supplies. Their whereabouts and motives are currently unknown.
Nothing is known about the members of this group before or as the outbreak began, nor whether they were a previously existing organization. According the Anne, this group is situated somewhere very far away, so presumably their base of operations is not within Virginia.
At some point following the outbreak, this group came into possession of at least one helicopter that was utilized as a means of long distance transportation and was likely used to scavenge areas for valuable supplies and resources. It is not known how many helicopters this group possesses.
Eventually, this group encountered a large group of survivors situated in a junkyard in Virginia and made a deal with their leader Anne (under the alias "Jadis") that, in exchange for bringing them strong survivors, they would supply her and her people with much needed resources and Anne agreed. It is not known how many survivors were given to the helicopter group by Anne and her people and what fate befell them after they were taken away by the helicopter group. The grading system the group used for captured survivors was marking them as an "A" or "B" which Anne would assign to the captives herself before delivery, though the reason for the use of these letters is unknown. It is not known if the group made similar arrangements with other survivor groups or settlements. One notable survivor captured by Anne and her people was Heath, a supply runner from the Alexandria Safe- Zone who was separated from his ally, Tara, while on a scouting mission and was taken away by the helicopter group to an unknown fate.
Anne would later reveal that she was planning on trading Gabriel Stokes to this group after he was captured by her lieutenant Tamiel, though he was rescued by his own group before this could occur. It is highly likely that Anne made a deal with Negan and the Saviors to help fight back against Rick and his people in order to obtain 12 new survivors to be traded to the helicopter group for supplies. This however never occurred.
While traveling to the Junkyard to confront Anne and her people to enlist their help in fighting against the Saviors, Rick Grimes spots a black helicopter flying away from the junkyard (presumably after trading supplies for survivors captured and delivered by the Scavengers). After it flies away, Rick continues on his way confused over the helicopter.
After capturing Negan, Anne plans on trading him to the helicopter group. Her watch beeps. She leaves Negan alone for a moment and returns with a walker tied to a cart. Negan fires at her with a gun he managed to get hold of, and threatens to burn a pile of sentimental photos with a flare that he found in her bag. Her watch beeps again. She rams the walker into Negan and wrestles the flare away. To her dismay, the flare falls in a puddle of water and the flame is snuffed. A helicopter appears overhead and hovers. Anne runs to get another flare, but by the time she ignites it, the helicopter turns and leaves. A few days later, Anne is invited to live in the Alexandria Safe-Zone, she agrees and cuts off contact with the helicopter group.
About 19 months after cutting off contact with the group, while on a guard post, Anne spots the helicopter flying above and looks on very nervous.
After fleeing from her allies, Anne returns to the junkyard and retrieves a long-range walkie-talkie. She radios the unknown man from the helicopter. He asks her if she has an "A or a B". She asks for an extraction for herself and claims she's paid her dues but the man says for their deal to be on she'll need an A, and she promises them one the next day.
On the road, Anne's van breaks down and her helicopter contact radios to see if she has the "A". She lies and confirms she does, saying they're ready for transport. Abandoning her vehicle, Anne continues on to the meeting spot on foot.
Later, Anne hears panicked radio calls about Rick apparently blowing himself up to stop a herd at the bridge and Anne spots walkers floating down the nearby river. The helicopter arrives to pick up Anne and her supposed "A" and she pulls out her gun but suddenly spots a wounded Rick on the riverbank, still alive. She quickly radios that she has a "B" but he's strong and needs help immediately. She promises it's not a trick and explains she's just trying to save a friend who once saved her. They agree to her deal and lower the helicopter.
Inside the helicopter, Anne assures Rick that he'll be fine and that "they" will save him. Rick falls asleep as the helicopter flies away into the unknown.
The Helicopter group will appear this season.
- Possibly numerous counts of zombies and unnamed people
- Angela Kang has confirmed this group is responsible for the abduction and disappearance of Heath. This is proven when the RV he and Tara used in "Swear" is seen in the Junkyard multiple times, and Anne used this same RV in "What Comes After" to reach the rendezvous point with the helicopter.
- While unconfirmed, their helicopter may be the same one spotted by Rick in "Days Gone By" while in Atlanta and the one that drew the herd out of Atlanta in a flashback in "Beside the Dying Fire." By the time Rick saw the helicopter in the former case, there were no known helicopters flying as stated by Jacqui in "Guts" who dismissed Rick's sighting as a hallucination.
- Aside from the helicopter's brief mysterious appearance in "The Big Scary U," Anne's contact with this group is hinted at in "The Lost and the Plunderers" when Simon questions Anne about the helicopter landing pad in the Junkyard and she brushes it off.
- The appearance of "A"'s throughout the show suggests that the Scavengers may not be the only group encountered by the main characters who have had contact with this group.
- The difference between an "A" and a "B" for this group has not been explained, yet.
- This is currently the only group on The Walking Dead in which a single original member of it hasn't physically appeared onscreen.
|Groups (TV Series)|
|Bank Robbers • Rick's Group • The Vatos Gang • The Living • Michonne's Group • The Prisoners • Woodbury Army • Tyreese Williams' Group • The Governor's Militia • Abraham's Group • The Claimers • The Wolves • The Saviors • Oceanside • The Scavengers • The Militia • Helicopter Group • Georgie's Group • Magna's Group • The Whisperers • The Highwaymen • Jocelyn's Group • The Coalition|
<ref>tags exist, but no
<references/>tag was found