Nothing is known about this hitchhiker's life prior to or as the outbreak began.
This survivor is seen hitchhiking along the side of the highway, eventually spotting Rick Grimes, Michonne Hawthorne, and Carl Grimes in a car driving past him. He yells for their help, but is ignored and continues to try and run after Rick's car, but stops and falls on his knees, realizing they aren't stopping for him.
The car shortly stalls at a pile-up. Rick, Michonne, and Carl get out to release the car. They ignore the hitchhiker's cries for help, despite the fact that they are slowly getting louder. After releasing the car, the three get back into the car and drive away. The hitchhiker, having run towards the group after seeing them stop, falls to the ground again.
On the drive back to the West Georgia Correctional Facility - their base - Rick, Carl, and Michonne pass the pile-up and notice a corpse and streak of blood on the ground, ending at the hitchhiker's distinctive orange backpack. The car backs up, and Carl hops out to grab the backpack before they drive away.
- Killed By
Somehow after being denied help, this man is attacked and devoured by walkers.
This list shows the victims this survivor has killed:
- Possibly numerous counts of zombies
- This character is credited as Man in "Clear".
- This survivor is nicknamed the Backpack Guy in the In Memoriam clip for the Talking Dead segment for "Clear".
- The hitchhiker's backpack makes several appearances throughout Season 4, including when Carl uses the backpack in "Isolation" and when Glenn Rhee gathers supplies from the ruined prison in "Inmates". It is spotted by Rick as stolen goods at Terminus in "A" and returns to the group in Season 5 after they massacre the Hunters, who escaped from the ruined Terminus with it, in Father Gabriel Stokes' church. It also appears in Season 8, when Rick and Michonne flee Alexandria after it being overrun and Rick takes it with him.
- In "What We Become", Michonne has a hallucination that she is the hitchhiker during the events of "Clear" and is left behind by Rick and Daryl as they travel to King County.