Issue 22 is the twenty-second issue of Image Comics' The Walking Dead and the fourth part of Volume 4: The Heart's Desire. It was originally published on October 15, 2005. The deluxe colored version was released September 1, 2021.
Andrea briefly confronts Michonne about Michonne talking to no one, but Michonne shrugs her off. Upset over seeing Michonne pleasure Tyreese, Carol first tries to do the same but ultimately tells him to take his things and leave the next day. Maggie and Glenn meet up with Hershel who is waiting in their cell. Hershel informs them of the news about Allen, and later gives Maggie permission to be in a relationship with Glenn.
The next day, Dale looks at Rick's broken hand as Tyreese is finding a new cell. Rick finds out from Carol that they split up, and she tearfully embraces him.
While Axel, Billy, and Hershel are farming outside and the Greenes forming a friendship with Axel, they share a conversation about the nature of zombies. With Axel showing pity and curiosity about their lives before turning. He feels bad for them because they were once everyday people, just like the ones inside the prison. Hershel expresses general disinterest and keeps them on task.
The next day, Michonne and Lori share a conversation about pregnancy and children which Rick cuts short, asking Lori to talk to Carol to help her feel better. Upon arriving at her cell, they find her lying on the bed with her wrists slit, as Sophia sits in the corner, horrified by what she witnessed her mother do.
Michonne entices Tyreese as he's moved into his new cell, but they are interrupted when Rick, going to inform him of Carol's attempted suicide, finds them together. Rick continuously yells at a worried and pensive Tyreese who asks to be left alone, causing them to get into first a verbal fight. Rick goes so far to say that Carol's life is on his hands, causing Tyreese to punch Rick in frustration.
- Rick Grimes
- Lori Grimes
- Carl Grimes
- Maggie Greene
- Hershel Greene
- Billy Greene
- Michonne Hawthorne
- Last appearance of Allen.
- Rick getting his hand checked was originally going to be in his cell and Lori waking up instead of Andrea.
- There was originally going to be a cafeteria meeting, but it was cut in order to make room for Carol's suicide attempt.
- The scene with Dale, Andrea, and the twins was going to be them bonding with each other.
- A scene of Tyreese and Andrea fighting was cut.
- A scene of Rick and Tyreese going to A block was cut.
- A scene of Glenn and Billy cleaning off the fence was cut.
- Scenes of Lori and Carol watching the kids and Rick and Tyreese talking were cut for the Carol's suicide attempt.
- Everyone was originally going to be watch Rick and Tyreese fight.
- The Walking Dead #22, IGN, Hilary Goldstein, (October 19, 2005).
- October 2005 Comic Book Sales Figures - Ranked #105 Overall