Montanio (first name unknown) is an antagonist and a survivor of the outbreak in AMC's The Walking Dead. He is a member of the Reapers. He served as the primary antagonist of the episode "Home Sweet Home".
Prior to the outbreak, Montanio was fighting in Afghanistan along with the rest of his squad which included a lot of members that would eventually become the Reapers. Upon returning from war, he struggled to find jobs or deal with trauma, but the relationship between him and his comrades remained strong. He then decided to become a mercenary.
At some point, Montanio and his group eventually attacked a group of survivors led by Maggie Rhee despite having no previous hostilities with her group and succeeded in destroying their camp and killing numerous members of her group, causing them to flee to Virginia. He and his group eventually followed them to finish them all off due to his leader, Pope marking Maggie's group.
Montanio is responsible for killing Maggie's group, including Gus and Ainsley. The man takes a shot at Daryl's group, also killing Maya. He lunges at Maggie with a knife, but she dodges and stabs him in the chest. Despite this, he shrugs off the injury, pushes her to the ground, and pulls the knife from his chest. He tries to kill Maggie by throwing the knife, but she ducks out of the way in time. As he advances towards her, Maggie backs up into a trap and is strung up on a tree. Before he can kill her, Daryl shoots him in the side with his crossbow, before charging him. He once again shrugs off the injury and effortlessly tosses Daryl into a tree, knocking him out. Fortunately, this buys Maggie enough time to free herself. Just as she is about to face him once more, he is shot in the chest with an arrow, and quickly surrounded by Kelly, Elijah, Cole, and the remaining members of Maggie's group. Maggie furiously questions him about his identity and his group, but he says nothing. Maggie threatens to kill him, as she knows he is alone, and inquires about his motive for attacking the group. Montanio calmly tosses his weapon to the ground and simply says "Pope marked you", before pulling a pin from a grenade and blowing himself up as the others dive for cover.
- Killed By
- Himself (Suicide)
This list shows the victims Montanio has killed:
- Himself (Suicide)
- Numerous counts of enemy combatants (Pre-Apocalypse)
- Possibly some unnamed contracted victims (Pre-Apocalypse)
- Possibly some unnamed Wardens
- Numerous counts of zombies and unnamed people
- This character is credited as The Attacker in "Home Sweet Home".
- He is later identified as Montanio through dialogue in "Rendition".
- Montanio is the first named member of the Reapers to appear.
- Montanio is also the first named Reaper to be killed.
- Mike Whinnet also portrayed an unnamed Savior in Season 7. His character was not seen killed off in the All Out War up until the end of Season 8, suggesting his character may have survived and over time joined the Reapers. This is unlikely, however, seeing as how most, if not all, of the Reapers knew each other before the apocalypse.