"Mourning Cloak" is the tenth episode of the seventh season of AMC's Fear the Walking Dead. It is the ninety-fifth episode of the series overall. It premiered on April 24, 2022. It was written by Nazrin Choudhury & Calaya Michelle Stallworth and directed by Lennie James.
When Charlie shows up at the Tower unexpectedly, Howard recruits a young ranger in training to determine the reason for her visit. As they journey beyond the Tower together, Charlie's true motives are revealed.
- Garcia (Alive)
- Muhammad (Confirmed Fate)
- Thomse (Zombified)
- Ali (Alive)
- 2 unnamed Tower residents (Off-Screen)
- 5 unnamed Stalkers
- First (and last) appearance of Ali.
- First (and last) appearance of Garcia.
- First (and last) appearance of Muhammad. (Photograph)
- First (and last) appearance of Thomse. (Zombified)
- The title of the episode, "Mourning Cloak", refers to the type of butterfly that Howard sends Ali to find and get for him.
- It's also a reference to Charlie herself in her current condition as revealed in the episode's Inside Look because, like the Mourning Cloak, she only has a short time to live and intends to live it as much as she can.
- This episode was made available for streaming to subscribers of AMC Premiere on April 17, 2022.
- The Stalkers are shown to refer to the crater as "The Pit".
- Charlie turns 13 during this episode.
- Charlie is sent by Morgan to infiltrate Strand's Tower and falls in love with Ali.
- Strand is revealed to be sending his people to the crater for some reason.
- Charlie reveals that she actually intends to run away in order to find the normal life that she was never able to have.
- After Charlie collapses, she is diagnosed with terminal radiation sickness by June and Grace.
- Strand's people have encountered a number of radioactive walkers like the ones seen in "Six Hours" and "Follow Me", as do Charlie and Ali.
- After going to turn off the Tower's beacon in Charlie's place, Ali is murdered by Howard for his betrayal and June puts Charlie under her protection to save Charlie, causing tensions to rise between her and Howard.
- John Sr. plans to get close to Strand in order to act as his voice of reason while June plots to do whatever it takes in order to take Strand down.