"On the Inside" is the sixth episode of the eleventh season of AMC's The Walking Dead. It is the one-hundred and fifty-ninth episode of the series overall. It premiered on September 26, 2021. It was written by Kevin Deiboldt and directed by Greg Nicotero.
Escaping from walkers, Connie and Virgil hide in a house occupied by mysterious creatures. Pope tests Daryl's loyalty to the Reapers with a conflicting mission. Kelly leaves Alexandria in search of Connie.
Connie and Virgil race up to a house. Connie pushes the front door open, and they hide inside. Walkers swarm the front door.
Kelly gallops down a road on horseback to find Connie on her own.
Connie and Virgil search the house and reconvene in the living room. Virgil tells Connie that the house is empty, but Connie shakes her head. Virgil reminds Connie that she hasn't slept in days and urges her to sleep, but Connie worries that the house is unsafe. She decides to search the house again.
In Meridian, Carver tortures Frost and demands to know where his people are. Frost says nothing. Pope orders Daryl to take a turn interrogating Carver. Daryl puts Frost in a chokehold and orders him to give up his friends' location. Frost refuses. Daryl chops off Frost's finger and again demands to know the location of his friends. Frost finally reveals the location of the supply depot. Pope dispatches Leah to scout the location with a crew of Reapers.
Connie searches the house. She opens a medicine cabinet and sees a pair of wild eyes staring back at her through a slot in the wall. She races back to Virgil and tells him they're not alone.
Daryl, Leah, Carver, and a crew of Reapers approach the supply depot. Daryl quietly shakes a hanging telephone wire to warn Maggie of their arrival.
Maggie looks out the window and sees the wire swaying.
The Reapers burst into the supply depot and search the house. No one is there. Leah orders them to search the entire town.
Kelly finds Connie's abandoned camp in the woods. She reads Connie's notebook and cries.
Virgil checks the medicine cabinet and doesn't see anything. He wonders if Connie was hallucinating. Connie refuses to stay in the house and leaves the room. Someone slams a door behind her, cutting her off from Virgil. A feral human scrambles toward her on all fours. Connie flees into a room and slams the door behind her. The feral bangs against the door.
The Reapers search another house. Leah finds some wet, bloody bandages, indicating someone was recently there. Daryl notices a trap door under a rug and quietly slides the rug over the door. He offers to track Maggie's group outside. Carver suspects something and quarrels with Daryl. Leah sends Carver upstairs to sweep the rooms one more time and warns Daryl not to anger Carver. Maggie, Negan, Gabriel, and Elijah listen from the basement.
Carol, Rosita, and Magna find Kelly in the woods. Kelly tells them she found Connie's camp. Magna reads Connie's notebook, which reveals that Connie and Virgil were being followed. They continue their search.
Connie holds the door shut until the feral quiets down on the other side. She enters the basement and sees human bones littered all over the floor. The shelves rattle as the feral wakes up and bursts into the room. Connie hides in a crawl space between the walls.
Virgil escapes into a room and slams the door shut. A feral pummels the door on the other side.
Connie peers through a hole in the wall and sees Virgil in the next room. She pounds on the wall, drawing Virgil's attention. A feral sneaks up on Virgil and attacks him.
Virgil fights the feral. "Hungry!" it screeches. Connie pounds on the wall, momentarily distracting the feral. Virgil stabs it in the chest. Connie continues pounding on the wall. Virgil plunges his knife into the wall, nearly stabbing Connie. Connie punches her arm through the wall. Virgil realizes it's Connie and pulls her through.
Daryl and Carver argue. Daryl criticizes the Reapers' plan of attack and slyly incorporates intel about the Reapers as he talks, knowing that Maggie's group is listening. Carver accuses Daryl of being disloyal. Daryl admits that the only reason he joined the Reapers is because he cares about Leah, but says he will follow Pope out of fear. Carver notices the trap door and opens it. The basement is empty.
Maggie's group quietly sneaks out of the basement and escapes.
Carol's group searches for Connie into the night. They reach a crossroads. Kelly picks a direction.
Injured and weak, Virgil gives Connie his knife and urges her to make a run for it. Connie refuses to abandon him. They hear the creatures stir upstairs and rush out the room with weapons blazing. Ferals attack from all directions and Virgil is stabbed by one of them. Getting an idea, Connie lathers herself in walker guts then flings the front door open, letting all of the walkers inside. The walkers devour the ferals while ignoring Connie, who is blocking Virgil in a corner with her own body, and Virgil due to the walker guts.
Connie and Virgil stumble outside and collapse. Two ferals escape the house. Kelly shoots it with her slingshot and tearfully reunites with Connie.
The Reapers return to Meridian. Carver tells Pope that Maggie's group got away. Pope reveals that he continued to interrogate Frost after they left and got all the information he needed. They see Frost tied to a post: he is now a walker. Pope confers privately with Carver as they head inside. Leah looks at Daryl.
- Brandon Heath Jones as Feral Survivor
- Chelsea Reuter Goddard as Feral Survivor
- Alex Hill as Feral Survivor
- Frost (Alive, Off-Screen)
- Several unnamed ferals' victims (Confirmed Fate)
- 8 unnamed feral survivors
- 1 horse
- First (and last) appearance of the Ferals.
- Last appearance of Frost.
- The title of the episode, "On the Inside", refers to Daryl's true allegiances i.e. who he really is "on the inside."
- This episode was made available for streaming to subscribers of AMC Premiere on September 19, 2021.
- In this episode, Margot Bingham (Max Mercer) is billed before Josh Hamilton (Lance Hornsby) under "Also Starring".
- This episode marks Jeffrey Dean Morgan's 50th appearance on the TV Series.
- Connie and Virgil running through the field is a homage to Night of the Living Dead.
- In an early draft of this episode, Virgil would've been secretly bitten and eventually reveal it to Connie, using his little time as his motivation to get her out of the house.
- Connie's notebook reveals that she was forced to walk with the herd for days after the collapse of part of Alpha's Cave with no light or food and very little water.
- According to Connie's notebook, Virgil doesn't know where Michonne has gone other than that she was looking for someone. He was also hoping to find her when he came back to the area.
- It's revealed that the reason that Connie didn't return to Alexandria following Virgil finding her is that they didn't know where it is and they were trying to find it. Ironically, according to the location given by Keith in "Out of the Ashes", they weren't far away.
- This is presumably because Virgil only ever saw Oceanside which was abandoned when he returned to it and Connie's only known excursions to Alexandria were when she was accompanied by Judith Grimes and Daryl in "Who Are You Now?" and "Scars" respectively. Most of the time that Connie had spent in the area was around the Hilltop rather than close to Alexandria.
- Connie uses the walker guts trick once again to hide herself and Virgil before letting a herd in to deal with the Ferals. While Virgil doesn't use it, Connie covering him with her own body in a corner is enough for the walkers to ignore him.