|This article is about the Comic Series character. You may be looking for his TV Series, Social Game, Road to Survival or The Escapists counterparts.|
- "You let that killer out and he almost killed you--and then--then you was gonna let them two--them two kick alla us outta here. You sided against us with--with--a couple n*ggers. I just want you to know I ain't talkin' ta you neither. Yer dead to me."
- —Otis to Patricia about her siding with Dexter and Andrew over the group.[src]
Otis is a character first encountered in Issue 9 of Image Comics' The Walking Dead. He is the boyfriend of Patricia, and a farm hand of Hershel Greene and his family. A well meaning, if somewhat prejudiced man, he had a good relationship with most people at the prison. He was also a loving boyfriend to Patricia until he discovered she freed Thomas and sided with Dexter and Andrew to kick the group out of the prison, causing a rift between them and resulting in Otis dumping her, though eventually they made amends and agreed to be friends.
Very little is known about Otis before or as the outbreak began, except that Otis and his girlfriend Patricia narrowly escaped from Wiltshire Estates. Hershel Greene allowed them to stay at his farm.
Being a good-natured person, he took it extremely hard when he shot and almost killed Rick's son, Carl. Otis shot Carl thinking he was a zombie. Following the new-coming group's arrival on the farm, he associated himself with Tyreese in particular.
Otis remained at the farm to look after the livestock while the surviving members of the Greene family left to join Rick's group at the prison. Otis would later follow, only to be stopped and ambushed by a massive amount of zombies. He would most certainly have died had Michonne not been roaming around looking for refuge. Michonne slaughtered the surrounding zombies until she and Otis were permitted access into the prison. Once he was safe, Otis joined the group; however, he was forced to end his relationship with Patricia after learning of her part in Dexter's attempted coup. He was later obligated to apologize to Patricia, seeing that he possibly wouldn't find another woman in his life. This was the last that we saw of Otis until his death.
- Killed By
Somehow as the Prison is overrun, Otis is devoured by walkers.
- Rick Grimes (Zombified)
After Rick finds Otis' mutilated and reanimated corpse when he returns from Woodbury, he puts him down.
This list shows the victims Otis has killed:
- Numerous counts of zombies
- In an interview with UGO, Kirkman stated: "I think [Otis' racism] came about after he was introduced because I started to notice that all the characters were pretty nice except for an evil character that kills kids sometimes. I wanted to throw in some people that aren't evil but aren't so nice either. I've got some stuff planned for Otis now that should be pretty cool. But I realized that I had made a mistake in making everybody too friendly."
- Otis is one of the few characters to die (and/or reanimate) off-panel.
- Robert Kirkman about Otis' death: "Otis wasn't buried because he didn't have much left of him and didn't die at a time when the burying would have been easy to do. There were tons of zombies to clean up...and Otis was a zombie...Allen and Carol weren't zombies." This is an error, as Carol did in fact turn, although she was put down immediately after reanimation, so her body was mostly intact.
- Although he was staying with Hershel, Otis didn't share the same belief that zombies could be cured as he was willing to kill Carl, thinking he was a zombie.