|This article is about the New Frontier doctor. You may be looking for the Hilltop resident in the Comic Series, TV Series, Video Game, Road to Survival or No Man's Land, the Woodbury soldier, the Webisodes character, the Alexandria Safe-Zone resident, the Savior, the Here's Negan character, the Companion Series character, the Social Game character, the Dead Reckoning character, the author, the producer, or the actor.|
- "Don't remind me. I'm not going to say thank you for keeping me alive. But I'm going to try and find something out there that might make me say thank you... some day."
- —Lingard to Javier and Clementine. (Determinant)[src]
Paul Lingard is an original character who first appears in Telltale Games' The Walking Dead: Season Three. He is a doctor and one of the four leaders of the New Frontier, alongside, Joan, Clinton Barnes, and David García. Paul is a friend of David and is one of his close confidants alongside Ava. As a result, not only does Paul support David but he also finds reason to live because of him. Though a regular user of drugs and his own medicine, Paul is still a skilled doctor. However, after David is removed from his position and Joan becomes far more strict and dictatorial over her leadership, Paul remains reluctant to get involved and stays neutral, leading to a bout of depression and his own assisted suicide. (Determinant) Paul is also an affiliate of Clementine, and is the only man who knows the location of Alvin Jr.
Prior to the outbreak, Paul was a world-class oncologist, and a respected faculty member of the University of Virginia School of Medicine. His profession and medical knowledge carried over into the apocalypse.
After the outbreak, many of Paul's colleagues fled for safety, leaving him on his own. Undeterred, Lingard sought out the sick and the injured, attempting to help whenever and however he could.
Unfortunately, the state of the world eventually began to take its toll on Lingard's mind, which led to substance abuse as a method of coping, chiefly his own medicine supply.
Eventually, a man came across the weary Lingard, wracked by addiction and his inner demons, and helped him overcome his addiction, as well as find purpose in life. Sometime later, Lingard, along with David, Clint and Joan formed the New Frontier.
The first time we see Paul is in Richmond's hospital where Kate is. He was amazed by Eleanor's doctor skills and wants to keep her in Richmond. Before Javi and David leave Paul vouches for Eleanor to be released from quarantine. In the Clementine flashback after she finds the vancomycin and is about to inject AJ, Paul wakes up and tells Clementine not to inject AJ because its the last of the vancomycin and will cost someone else's life in the future. After David/Ava notices Clementine, Paul takes AJ and she has the option to say goodbye to AJ or spit in David's face. His last appearance is in the end of the episode when Javi reveals that Joan was ordering raiding and looting on other settlements.
After Javi, Gabe and Ava steal from the armory, Javier goes to Lingard's office to find Lingard unconscious. When Dr. Lingard awakens, he informs Javier that he doesn't want to live anymore. If you agree to kill him, he will tell Clem where Alvin Junior is located. If you refuse, however, Lingard will cancel the deal. If Lingard is killed, Joan would later use Lingard's death in an attempt to turn the residents of Richmond against Javier and David and she questions Javier why he would kill the only doctor in Richmond.
Paul will appear in this episode if he was not killed in the previous episode, towards its ending. He will refuse to thank Javier for sparing his life, but will try to make it up to him by continuing to help lives within Richmond as he did before. He also reveals to Clem AJ's last known location before he takes off, leading Clementine on a journey to find him once again.
If Paul was killed in the previous episode, a photo of him will appear on the memorial wall, the image depicting him sitting down in his office.
- Himself (Caused)
- Javier García (Caused, Out of Mercy) and/or (Before Reanimation, Determinant)
- Clementine (Caused, Out of Mercy) and/or (Before Reanimation, Determinant)
When Javier returns to the hospital to see Dr. Lingard regarding his stab wound, Lingard is unconscious as a result of drug use. When he recovers, albeit delusional, he solemnly acknowledges that Joan's autocracy and David's arrest will not bode well for him, asking Javier to kill him and prevent him from reanimating - all in exchange for Alvin Jr.'s location. If the player decides to assist in Dr. Lingard's suicide, Javier will inject a large dose of medicine into his arm, overdosing him in the process. If the player chooses silence, Clementine will inject Lingard. Regardless, Javier will prevent Lingard from reanimating by stabbing him in the head. If the player takes too long on this also, Javier will hand the knife to Clem and she will violently stab Lingard in the head.
This list shows the victims Paul has killed:
- Possibly numerous counts of unnamed patients. (Caused; Direct, Out of Mercy)
- Numerous counts of unnamed people (Indirectly Caused)
- Possibly numerous counts of zombies.
- Paul is the fifth character known to use drugs recreationally, the others being Bonnie, Wyatt, Eddie, and Kate.
- Paul is the seventh doctor to appear in the video game, the others being Diana, Vernon, Carlos, Logan, Jonas and Eleanor.
- Out of the four New Frontier leaders, Paul is the only one to not have an antagonistic role at any point of the game.
- Paul’s facial expressions and animations do not work or show his emotion. This was fixed with a patch that also changed the colour of his subtitles.
- Lingard’s model was originally created to be a man named Mason, who was the mastermind of the New Frontier group in an early iteration of the story.