|This article is about the New Frontier doctor. You may be looking for the Hilltop resident in the Comic Series, TV Series, Video Game, Road to Survival or No Man's Land, the Woodbury soldier, the Webisodes character, the Alexandria Safe-Zone resident, the Savior, the Here's Negan character, the Fear character, the Social Game character, the Dead Reckoning character, the author, the producer, or the actor.|
- "Don't remind me. I'm not going to say thank you for keeping me alive, but I'm going to try and find something out there that might make me say thank you... some day. (..) He's at McCarroll Ranch. It's not too far from here. That's...that's where we left him at least."
- —Paul to Javier and Clementine about sparing his life and about AJ's last known location. (Determinant)[src]
Paul Lingard is an original character who first appears in Telltale Games' The Walking Dead: Season Three. He is a doctor and one of the four leaders of the New Frontier, alongside, Joan, Clinton Barnes, and David García. Paul is a friend of David and is one of his close confidants alongside Ava. As a result, not only does Paul support David but he also finds reason to live because of him. Though a regular user of drugs and his own medicine, Paul is still a skilled doctor. However, after David is removed from his position and Joan becomes far more strict and dictatorial over her leadership, Paul remains reluctant to get involved and stays neutral, leading to a bout of depression and his own assisted suicide. (Determinant) Paul is also an affiliate of Clementine, and is the only man who knows the location of Alvin Jr.
Prior to the outbreak, Paul was a world-class oncologist, and a respected faculty member of the University of Virginia School of Medicine. His profession and medical knowledge carried over into the apocalypse.
After the outbreak, many of Paul's colleagues fled for safety, leaving him on his own. Undeterred, Lingard sought out the sick and the injured, attempting to help whenever and however he could.
Unfortunately, the state of the world eventually began to take its toll on Lingard's mind, which led to substance abuse as a method of coping, chiefly his own medicine supply.
Eventually, a man came across the weary Lingard, wracked by addiction and his inner demons, and helped him overcome his addiction, as well as find purpose in life. Sometime later, Lingard, along with David, Clint, and Joan formed the New Frontier.
The first time we see Paul is in Richmond's hospital where Kate is. He was amazed by Eleanor's doctor skills and wants to keep her in Richmond. Before Javi and David leave Paul vouches for Eleanor to be released from quarantine. In the Clementine flashback after she finds the vancomycin and is about to inject AJ, Paul wakes up and tells Clementine not to inject AJ because it's the last of the vancomycin and will consequently cost someone else's life in the future. After David/Ava notices Clementine, Paul takes AJ and she has the option to say goodbye to AJ or spit in David's face. His last appearance is in the end of the episode when Javi reveals that Joan was ordering raiding and looting on other settlements.
After Javi, Gabe, and Ava steal from the armory, Javier goes to Lingard's office to find Lingard unconscious. When Dr. Lingard awakens, he is dazed and informs Javier that he doesn't want to live anymore. When asked why he couldn't do it himself, Lingard admits that he is too cowardly to go through with it. After explaining the positive qualities of David and how he is a good person despite his faults, he figures that Clementine was sent by David to ask him about AJ's location. He then asks Javier and Clementine to kill him in exchange for AJ's location. Regardless of the case, he will also inform Javier and Clementine about Joan's plans to establish control by executing anyone she deems a traitor.
Kill Lingard (Dead): If you agree to kill him, he will tell Clem where Alvin Jr. is located. Javier will then inject Lingard with a lethal dose of drugs, which Lingard tells him to stick around for the "after-part", as he begs them not to let him turn into a walker. He then drifts off to sleep and dies, warning them about Joan's plan. Javier will then stab him in the head after he dies to prevent reanimation.
If Lingard is killed, Joan will later use Lingard's death in an attempt to turn the residents of Richmond against Javier and David and she both questions and criticizes Javier on why he would kill the only doctor in Richmond.
Refuse (Alive): If you refuse to kill him, Lingard will cancel the deal, much to Clementine's dismay. Bitterly admitting his disappointment at Javier refusing to make the hard call, he tells them that they are making a mistake, especially now that Joan is putting her plans into motion. He then drifts off to sleep as Javier and Clementine leaves the room.
No Choice (Dead): If you do not make a choice, then Clementine will volunteer to kill him instead, understanding Javier's inability to make a decision. The scene will then play out as if Javier volunteers to do it, and Lingard dies the same way. If Javier takes too long to put him down before reanimation, Clementine will be given the knife and she will viciously stab him in the head instead.
Paul will appear in this episode if he was not killed in the previous episode, towards its ending. He will politely refuse to thank Javier for sparing his life, but will try to make it up to him by continuing to help lives within Richmond as he did before. After Clementine reiterated her question about AJ, Paul hesitates, so Javier convinces him to make it up to her now as part of thanking him for saving his life. Feeling that he owes them, he also reveals to Clem AJ's last known location before he walks off on good terms, leading Clementine on a journey to find him once again.
If Paul was killed in the previous episode, a photo of him will appear on the memorial wall, the image depicting him sitting down in his office.
- Killed By
- Himself (Caused, Alive)
- Javier García (Out of Mercy, Alive) and/or (Before Reanimation)
- Clementine (Out of Mercy, Alive) and/or (Before Reanimation)
When Javier returns to the hospital to see Dr. Lingard regarding his stab wound, Lingard is unconscious as a result of drug use. When he recovers, albeit weary and delusional, he solemnly acknowledges that Joan's autocracy and David's arrest will not bode well for him, asking Javier to kill him and prevent him from reanimating - all in exchange for Alvin Jr.'s location. If the player decides to assist in Dr. Lingard's suicide, Javier will inject a large dose of medicine into his arm, overdosing him in the process. If the player chooses silence, Clementine will inject Lingard. Regardless, Javier will prevent Lingard from reanimating by stabbing him in the head. If the player takes too long on this also, Javier will hand the knife to Clem and she will lunge forward and violently stab Lingard in the head.
This list shows the victims Paul has killed:
- Himself (Caused, Alive, Determinant)
- Numerous counts of unnamed people (Indirectly Caused)
- Possibly numerous counts of unnamed patients (Caused; Direct, Out of Mercy)
- Possibly numerous counts of zombies
- Paul is the fifth character known to use drugs recreationally, the others being Bonnie, Wyatt, Eddie, and Kate.
- Paul is the seventh doctor to appear in the video game, the others being Diana, Vernon, Carlos, Logan, Jonas, and Eleanor.
- Regardless of whether Paul dies or lives, he has the same ending line before he falls asleep (and potentially dies) and Javier and Clementine leaves: "You better... hope she doesn't... Find you...", which will be also be his final words if he is overdosed.
- Out of the four New Frontier leaders, Paul and Clint are the only two to not have any antagonistic moments at any point of the game.
- Paul’s facial expressions and animations do not work or show his emotion. This was fixed with a patch that also changed the color of his subtitles.
- Lingard’s model was originally created to be a man named Mason, who was the mastermind of the New Frontier group in an early iteration of the story.
- It is confirmed that Paul is still alive if he was spared in "Thicker Than Water".