- "I didn't see... I didn't see the man... the man... the man at all... at all... at all. I saw upon the stair he wasn't there there again today. Oh, how I wish he stayed away. When I came home tonight at 3:00... Today, I didn't see the man at all. I saw... I wish he stayed away. Today, when I looked around the hall, I couldn't see him there at all. I saw, when I went up the stair, a little man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. I wish, I wish he stayed away. When I came home tonight at 3:00, the man was waiting there for me."
- —Phil reciting a poem which are his last words.[src]
Nothing is known about Phil's life prior to or as the outbreak began, except that he helped to build the Broke Jaw Ranch community. It can be inferred he enjoyed poetry, as he has memorized the Antigonish.
Phil is discovered by Madison, Troy and a few other men. He is tied up to a chair and recites the poem Antigonish (repeating the same lines over and over) as a crow eats bits of his brain. Madison uses Troy's knife to put him down.
Phil's body is finally buried by Troy after he seeks refuge at his outpost.
- Killed By
- Qaletaqa Walker (Caused)
Following an attack on his outpost by Qaletaqa Walker and his men, Phil is tied to a chair on Qaletaqa's orders and then has his head scalped in order for him to die a slow, painful death by being eaten by crows.
- Madison Clark (Out of Mercy)
After discovering the massacre at the outpost and Phil tied to a chair, Madison puts him down by stabbing him in the brain.
This list shows the victims Phil has killed:
- Qaletaqa Walker's Uncle (Alongside Jeremiah, Vernon, and Russell, Pre-Apocalypse)
- 2 unnamed Black Hat Reservation residents (Alongside Jeremiah, Vernon, and Russell, Pre-Apocalypse)
- Possibly numerous counts of zombies and unnamed people
- According to Troy Otto, he has a penchant for using weapons in .22 (5.56mm) caliber.
- The poem he is reciting after he's been scalped is "Antigonish" by William Hughes Mearns.