Nothing is known about Quan's life before or as the outbreak began, except that he may have lived in the Virginia area.
Quan is seen living at the Sanctuary as a worker.
Quan is among the many workers and Saviors to flee to the upper floors of the Sanctuary after the horde of zombies break into the Sanctuary.
From the upper windows of the Sanctuary, Quan is among the Saviors and workers to help shoot at the zombies as a way to clear the Sanctuary of the horde that was lured there by the militia.
A few days later, Quan is outside gardening with Laura and the other surviving Saviors. He and another young resident open the gates as Tara, Rosita, Eduardo, and other volunteers from Hilltop arrive with panes of glass to help repair the windows of the Sanctuary.
Sometime after the events of the bridge's destruction and the 6 year time jump, Quan moved to the Hilltop Colony. He may have moved prior to the fall of the Sanctuary, or he possibly chose to move beforehand.
Quan walks around Hilltop carrying a barrel of moonshine along with Papa Bear.
Quan can be seen socializing with fellow residents at Hilltop.
Quan and another Hilltop guard escort Connie and Kelly back to Hilltop when the Whisperers suddenly arrive. He prevents Kelly from running after Connie, who is lagging behind, and gets Kelly inside the gates to safety.
After witnessing the commotion that ensued when the Whisperers arrived, he remains armed with a spear and joins the other residents at the front gate.
In the Kingdom, Quan watches from the crowd as Ezekiel declares they've finally accomplished Rick, Carl, and Jesus' dreams of reuniting the communities. “Let the fair of a new beginning begin!” Ezekiel says as everyone celebrates and applauds. He then sells moonshine and other beverages from his booth with Papa Bear to the fair attendees.
The next day, in the Kingdom, Quan listens from the crowd as Siddiq delivers the tragic news, tells them how brave everyone was in their final moments and how he was intentionally kept alive to tell this very story. He encourages everyone to remember the fallen.
This list shows the victims Quan has killed:
- Possibly numerous counts of zombies
- "Hostiles and Calamities" (No Lines)
- "Stradivarius" (No Lines)
- "Evolution" (No Lines)
- "Omega" (No Lines)
- "Bounty" (No Lines)
- "The Calm Before" (No Lines)
- While his name has not been mentioned in dialogue nor has the character been credited, the name Quan comes from a chalkboard displaying his name at the moonshine booth in "The Calm Before". The chalkboard reads "Hilltop Hooch + Papa Quan's Lightnin Shine. Mmm good!" Quan is named after the actor who portrays him, Quandae Stewart, while "Papa" refers to Jamel Vaughn's character name from the set, Papa Bear.
- As of "The Calm Before", Quan is one of only six named former Saviors confirmed to be alive, the others being Negan, Laura, Eugene, Alden, and Gracie.