|This article is about the TV Series character. You may be looking for his Social Game counterpart. For other pages with the same name, see: Randall|
- "The hell is this? Oh, come on, don't be stupid. I owe you guys. I can help protect what you've got. Why would you save my life just to kill me by leaving me here? One guy-- one guy can't make it alone. That's why I was with those dudes-- I was alone. Don't be stupid! I'm not like them! I'm just some guy! I used to watch football and screw around on the Internet. I lived with my mom! I lost her like you lost people. I went to school with Maggie for God's sake!"
- —Randall to Rick Grimes and Shane Walsh, pleading for his life.[src]
Randall Culver is an antagonist and a survivor of the outbreak in AMC's The Walking Dead. He is a member of the Living. During a shootout, he is taken hostage by Rick Grimes' group. He served as the secondary antagonist of the episode "Triggerfinger".
- 1 Overview
- 2 Pre-Apocalypse
- 3 Post-Apocalypse
- 4 Death
- 5 Killed Victims
- 6 Relationships
- 7 Appearances
- 8 Trivia
In contrast to the other members of his dangerous group, Randall did not outwardly appear to be a completely bad person, however he did display antagonistic traits such as attempting to shoot Rick, Glenn, and Hershel in order to avenge Dave and Tony's deaths and also encouraging Rick to leave Shane behind while he was trapped in a bus.
Randall did however seem to have good relationships with his fellow group members as he showed concern for Dave and Tony and also Sean. Randall however admitted to witnessing the cruelty of his group, though it is unknown if he himself partook in the same acts of cruelty. He firmly stated he did not participate, though there is a possibility he lied and he did hint a few times that he enjoyed the group he was a part of, and did not seem to be disgusted at his group's actions. Even after being left to die by his group he still seemed to show some admiration for them as implied by comments to Shane and appeared to want to re-join his allies.
Randall was also shown to be a sly and cunning person as shown by his attempt to convince Rick's son Carl to release him from his chains, claiming he was innocent and the members of his group are good people, showing that he could be untrustworthy and a liar. He was shown to have a strong desire to live as he begs Rick numerous times to not kill him or allow Shane to kill him. He also seems not to be very good at hiding his emotions, crying numerous times during his captivity. Although it was never revealed of Randall's true nature, good or bad, Shane took no chances and violently murdered him to ensure he would cause no harm to the group.
Not much is known about Randall's life prior to or as the outbreak began, except that he attended school with Maggie Greene and was on the varsity baseball team. He also lived with his mother and brother, whom he lost in the outbreak. He talks about having a normal life as "just some guy". He also enjoyed watching football and "screwing around on the internet".
At some point following the outbreak, Randall's entire family was killed and for a period of time he was all alone. He eventually encountered a group of about 30 survivors known only as "The Living" and became a member in which he assisted in scouting missions and protecting the group. Randall himself claimed that he witnessed the atrocities of his group. One incident in particular in which his group gang raped two teenaged girls while they forced their father to watch, but kept them alive. Randall claimed he did not partake in the group's violence though he may have lied. He claimed the only reason he joined the group was to survive.
Randall was first seen by Rick Grimes, Hershel Greene, and Glenn Rhee standing on a roof across the street from The Carriage Bar, trying to shoot them. Nate, in their truck, told Randall to jump down, but when he attempted to jump, he slid down the nearby roof and into an alley. He screamed for the rest of his group to help him, but they took off, abandoning him. Thinking that he was consumed by walkers, Rick, Glenn, and Hershel ran over to their vehicle and found that he had fallen onto a railing-pike, impaling his leg. They negotiated on whether to save him or not, but they agreed to help. They were unable to get the leg out, so the suggestion was made that they cut off Randall's leg. Randall begged them not to amputate his leg, and Rick used his strength to rip him out of the spiked-fence as he screamed in agony. The three then proceeded to put him in the car and blindfolded him so he couldn't know where the farm is. Randall still unable to walk, Hershel insisted that he should perform surgery on his leg. Shane was visibly angered at Rick and Hershel's decision to operate on Randall, and both Andrea and Shane claimed that once freed he will lead his group back to the farm, causing a war and possible slaughter.
Rick and Shane Walsh brought Randall bound and gagged with them to collect supplies and to leave him behind. However, Rick and Shane were shocked when Randall revealed that he went to school with Maggie Greene and knew who Hershel was. He also most likely knew where the farm is. Shane attempts to shoot him, but Rick intervened, causing the pair to fight and leaving Randall lying on the ground tied up. Shane accidentally caused a horde of walkers to be released, which attacked the survivors. Randall was able to cut the ropes with a knife and was about to escape when he is stopped by Rick. Randall told him to leave Shane behind and promised Rick he wasn't going to say anything to his group, but Rick just told him to shut up. Reluctantly, they decided to leave Shane behind as he is trapped inside a school bus. However, at the last minute they changed their minds and drove past the horde in Shane's car, killing many walkers and rescuing Shane. Even though Randall helped save Shane's life, he is once again bound and gagged and thrown in the back of the car. Rick said they will leave him in the barn overnight upon return to the farm, and that he would most likely be killed.
Randall was brutally interrogated by Daryl Dixon to find out where his group was. At first, Randall refused to tell Daryl anything. However, after Daryl stabbed him in the leg with a knife, he revealed that he joined a large group of 30 survivors hoping to ensure his survival. He also alluded to this group carrying out violent raids and gang rapes, prompting a repulsed Daryl to beat him even more furiously. The rest of the group decided that releasing Randall would be dangerous and decided to execute him. They left him in the barn, saying they will kill him at night. Rick's son Carl finds a way into the barn, and Randall talked to him, asking him to set him free. Carl approached Randall slowly, not talking, but Shane entered the barn and saw Carl there. Shane took Carl out of the barn. Despite Dale Horvath's attempts to convince the group otherwise, Rick decided to take Randall to the other barn to be shot. However, when he was about to shoot Randall, he saw that Carl was watching. Carl encouraged him to shoot Randall, horrifying Rick, who subsequently changed his mind. Daryl takes Randall back to the first barn and ties him up, and then leaves Randall alone in the barn after hearing Dale's screams.
The decision of what to do with Randall was still left on hold for Rick and the group, mostly due to mourning over Dale. Shane was very persistent with Rick to "handle" the problem with Randall, but Rick was still reluctant. Later on, Rick decided to soon handle it, but with news of Carl's confession, Shane urged him to talk to Carl first. Though Rick reminded him that Shane, himself, told him to deal with Randall, he claimed to do it "later". While everyone was distracted, Shane snuck into the barn and makes several attempts to kill Randall or at least frighten him into submission. Shane then decided to take Randall out into the woods and claimed he wanted to join his "group". However, it was only a distraction as Shane proceeds to murder Randall by snapping his neck, and then slammed his own head into the tree to appear as if he was assaulted by Randall. He then went running back to the farm, claiming Randall attacked him and ran off. Later, it was shown that this was obviously a trap to kill Rick, while the group was distracted, trying to capture Randall. Daryl and Glenn would later run into Randall, reanimated as a zombie. The two had a fight with him but eventually kill him. They examined that there were no bite marks on his body and questioned why he became a walker without getting bit.
- Killed By
- Shane Walsh (Alive, Off-Screen)
After Shane sets Randall free, the two wander off into the woods, talking about the possibility of Shane joining Randall's group. Once Shane felt that they've reached a far enough point away from the farm, Shane snaps Randall's neck, instantly killing him.
- Glenn Rhee (Zombified)
Later, Daryl and Glenn find a zombified Randall in the woods. Daryl fires a bolt at him but misses, so he pins him to the ground, where Glenn slashes him in the head, putting him down.
This list shows the victims Randall has killed:
- Numerous counts of zombies
|✔||Appears||✔||Voice is heard|
|👁||Appears with no lines||✔||Appears in a flashback|
|✔||Appears as a walker||🖼||Appears in a photograph/video|
|✔||Appears as a corpse||✔||Appears in a hallucination/dream|
- In the Talking Dead following the episode "Judge, Jury, Executioner", episode director Gregory Nicotero confirmed that he had initially shot Daryl and Randall's final confrontation in the barn to where that Daryl was going to kill Randall himself until he heard Dale's desperate screams for help.
- Randall is the third character in the TV Series known to reanimate without receiving a bite wound (the first were two Mert County Deputies in "18 Miles Out", who had been scratched).
- However, he is the first one to reanimate with absolutely no damage sustained by walkers.
- A broken neck is fatal if it severs the spinal cord, because it consequently blocks the neural connections between the brain and the rest of the body - heart, lungs, but most relevantly, limbs. Despite the fact that Shane killed Randall by breaking his neck, a zombified Randall was somehow able to get up and attack Daryl and Glenn just like a regular walker would. This was probably a plot oversight.
- Randall was initially scripted to kill Hershel Greene in the Season 2 episode "Better Angels", but the producers eventually decided against it.
- It is revealed in a deleted scene that Randall's last name is Culver, and Maggie discovers Randall went to the same high school as her when she looks through her high school book and finds his picture. Randall's brother also attended that school.
- Despite sharing the same last name, it is unlikely that he and Annabel Culver are related.
- Damian Stavros voices Randall in the Spanish (Latin America) dub.
- Óscar Castellanos voices Randall in the Spanish (Spain) dub.
- Sebastian Fitzner voices Randall in the German dub.
- Stéphane Marais voices Randall in the French dub.
- Gabriele Patriarca voices Randall in the Italian dub.
- Gabriele also voices Christopher Manawa in the Italian dub of Fear The Walking Dead.