|This article is about the Video Game character. You may be looking for the TV Series character, the Fear character, the Rise of the Governor character, the Road to Woodbury character, the Social Game character, the Survival Instinct character, the Prison extra, or the actresses Sarah Wayne Callies, Sarah Benoit and Sarah McCreanor.|
Sarah is a main character who first appears in Telltale Games' The Walking Dead: Season Two. She is a member of the Cabin Group, along with her father Carlos. Despite being kindhearted, innocent, and liked by others, Sarah's anxiety problems and lack of knowledge of the outside world due to her dad's sheltering often puts her in danger. Furthermore, due to the fact that Sarah spent the majority of her time in the apocalypse in the safety of Howe's Hardware (run by William Carver), Sarah had very little experience with dealing with walkers and lacked the practical skills for surviving in the outside world.
Sarah does not have bad intentions, but often puts others in danger due to her lack of awareness for the world's current state. But her ignorance is not entirely her fault. Her dad Carlos shelters her from seeing or knowing any gruesome or troubling events, causing her to completely rely on her father. She is very kind-hearted and will help those around if given the chance. She has expressed a great interest in books, and even offered Clem a book to read in the cabin.
It is hinted throughout Season Two that she might have had some anxiety issues. In "All That Remains", Carlos says, "If she ever knew how bad the world is... what it's really like out there... she would cease to function", which ironically enough, resulted her death later on.
Although, it is implied throughout the season that Sarah is stronger and less ignorant than her dad gives her credit for. This is supported by Sarah's determination to learn how to use a weapon (determinant), her knowledge of wind turbines and its uses, and standing up to Carver when he struck Clementine across the face (determinant). It is mainly assumed that she has some kind of anxiety disorder. This mental disorder is further evidenced during "Amid The Ruins" when she, if Clementine saved her at the house, will remark that she is waiting for her dad to return; this implies she is either unaware of the fact that he died, or that she was actively in denial over his death.
Nothing is known about Sarah's life prior to or as the outbreak began. However, Sarah's overall attitude and her father's rigid sheltering of her, along with the comment that if Sarah knew of the outside world in-depth she would "cease to function", implies that Sarah possibly lived a highly sheltered life before the outbreak.
Sarah was a member of Carver's community at Howe's Hardware along with her dad Carlos, Rebecca, Alvin, Luke, Nick, Pete, Reggie, and Nick's Mother. She followed her dad as the group decided to leave the community as it was an unsafe living environment, due to the continuous conflict between Carver and other members of the group.
Sarah is first seen inquiring about the ensuing chaos outside the cabin surrounding a mysterious bitten girl, Clementine, who was found in the forest. Her father strictly tells her to return to the inside of the house, to which she does.
Sarah's next appearance is after she is discovered by Clementine, who had been searching the house for hydrogen peroxide to disinfect her dog bite. After Clementine enters her bedroom, Sarah is initially reluctant to offer the medication at the risk of getting in trouble from her father. Despite this, she complies to Clementine's request after seeing a chance of friendship in Clementine.
She is not seen after that, though her father does warn Clementine not to interact with her at the expense of exposing Sarah to the harsh environment of the outside world.
Clementine is left alone to watch over Sarah and "keep her busy" while the rest of the group searches for missing members. The player has several choices they can make when interacting with Sarah at the start of the episode, choosing whether or not to humor Sarah about taking her picture and whether to "train" Sarah on how to use an empty handgun she managed to find. Should Clementine refuse for the latter, Sarah will point the gun at Clementine and ask if she's using it right, causing Clementine to duck and scold her, sending Sarah into a temporary panic.
Regardless, Sarah points out that there is a man outside. When he enters, Sarah goes into hiding to avoid being found. Later, she inquires her father about Carver. Upon realizing they are being stalked, the group decides to head north into the mountains to elude Carver.
Sarah has a minimal role for the rest of the chapter until the discovery of the survivors at the Ski Lodge. There, she helps to decorate a Christmas tree with Sarita and has dinner with the rest of the survivors. Later that night though, Carver and his followers find the survivors and take the majority of them hostage. Angered that Rebecca will not show herself, Carver begins to viciously beat Sarah's father Carlos, forcing her to watch as she pleads for mercy.
Sarah, along with the rest of the survivors, is hauled off to Carver's camp at the episode's conclusion.
The episode begins with Clementine and Sarah going to the bathroom near a tree, supervised by Troy. Troy then loads them back on the truck with Kenny, Sarita, Carlos, Rebecca, Alvin (Determinant) and Nick (Determinant). During a verbal argument between Kenny and the cabin survivors, Sarah breaks down in tears, with Rebecca comforting her. The truck then arrives at Howe's Hardware. Walking to their confinement, Carlos is taken by one of Carver's guards to help wounded survivors, making Sarah become uneasy, stating that she needs her father.
After the first night during Carver's briefing, Sarah talks to Clementine and Carver becomes angry, forcing Carlos to "discipline" her by slapping her mouth in front of all the survivors. He does so, although roughly, knocking Sarah to the ground. She is later seen hiding in the greenhouse, sobbing once more, prompting Clementine to comfort her. After comforting her, Reggie shows up to show them their job: to cut berries from the plants growing. Clementine is willing to do her job, but Sarah only holds her shears anxiously, scared that she will make a mistake. Clementine can either comfort Sarah and help her do her job, or Clementine can leave her alone, in which case she gets her job done but Sarah does not. Either choice will result in one of the girl's not doing their job, causing Carver to get angry and murder Reggie by pushing him off the roof.
At the end of the episode, she reluctantly allows Carlos and Clementine to smear walker entrails on her to escape through the herd alongside them. As she follows behind her father, she begins to go into a panic, with Carlos asking Clementine to say something to her. Before she is able to, Carlos gets fatally shot in the neck, stumbles over, and is grabbed by a walker and bitten. "Ceasing to function", Sarah becomes hysterical and begins to scream and she runs away and disappears.
Sarah is first seen within a caravan with Luke at a mobile home, hiding and shivering in shock. After coming across her, Clementine can decide whether to save Sarah or leave her behind. Clementine talks to her about protecting others in an attempt to get her to move, but time begins to run out as walkers completely surround the trailer. Having done little to ease her out of her panic attack, Clementine's speech ultimately fails to get Sarah to get up. Clementine can then choose to slap Sarah, or leave her to the walkers. If Clementine chooses to leave Sarah, the latter will cry out for Clementine in confusion, reaching out to her moments before being devoured. If Clementine slaps her, Sarah will suddenly spring into action and haul up out of the sky roof in the caravan, thus being saved.
Sarah is not seen interacting much afterwards, due to both the aftershock of her anxiety attack and being depressed about her father's death. She will remark that she is waiting for her father to return, showing that Sarah is either losing her grip on reality or that she is clinging to the idea that her father is alive for comfort. Either way, her denial of Carlos' death raises concern regarding her sanity.
Later, after the group has moved to the observation deck to escape the herd of walkers pursuing them, Luke and Clementine will push a cannon towards the gate blocking the entrance to the deck in an attempt to keep the walkers from getting in. The plan fails, for the added weight of the cannon causes part of the observation deck to collapse, taking Sarah down with it. Clementine then has to decide between saving Sarah, who is trapped beneath the rubble, or Jane, who is holding on to the broken deck. Clementine can send Jane down to where Sarah is trapped to try to save her; however, a plank from the damaged deck will fall and strike Jane as she is attempting to lift the rubble off of Sarah. Dazed, Jane stumbles away, and is too late to save Sarah from being devoured by the time she regains consciousness.
- Killed By
- Herself (Caused)
- Luke (Indirectly Caused)
- Clementine (Indirectly Caused)
- Jane (Indirectly Caused)
After Clementine, Luke, and Jane find a way out of the trailer, Clementine tries to convince Sarah to leave with them. Jane then tells Clementine to leave Sarah behind if she doesn't wish to join the others. If Clementine chooses to leave Sarah behind in the trailer, the walkers will break in and devour her, just as she starts to snap out of her sorrow and scream for Clementine's name. Given that her brain wasn't destroyed, it is unknown if she was able to reanimate.
- Killed By
- Luke (Caused, Accidental)
- Clementine (Caused, Accidental)
- Jane (Indirectly Caused, Determinant)
- Rebecca (Indirectly Caused, Accidental)
If Sarah was rescued from the trailer park, her death will occur later in the episode. As Clementine and Luke try to push a cannon towards the door, the observation deck will crumble under the weight of the moving cannon. Sarah falls and is trapped under the rubble. Jane, if told to save Sarah, will try to convince Clementine that Sarah is beyond saving, telling the girl to help pull her up. She will be devoured by walkers -that were attracted by Rebecca's scream- regardless of your choice to save her or Jane. Given that her brain wasn't destroyed, it is unknown if she was able to reanimate and was put down by the group after the observation deck collapses or her brain was crushed by the collapsing deck.
This list shows the victims Sarah has killed:
- Reggie (Indirectly Caused)
- Sarita (Indirectly Caused, Alive)
- Nick (Indirectly Caused, Determinant)
- Herself (Caused, Determinant)
- Sarah's red glasses may be a reference to the term "Rose Tinted Glasses", which refers to those who look at an untrue and positive perspective, as she is protected from a harsh reality.
- After losing her glasses in "Amid The Ruins", this symbolizes Sarah losing her protection from the harsh reality of her world.
- In "A House Divided", Clementine has the option of showing Sarah how to use a gun, similarly to how Lee taught Clementine in "Long Road Ahead".
- Clementine will repeat the advice Lee gave her, referring to the gun as "just a thing", and instructing Sarah to steadily squeeze the trigger, aim for the target's head, or to hold her breath before shooting, depending on the player's choice in "Long Road Ahead".
- If Lee remained silent when Clementine asked if there was anything else she should know, Clem herself does not respond when Sarah's asks what to do. In this case, the camera changes to Sarah's POV and she playfully says, "Bang".
- Though Sarah may be trained to use a gun, she never gets the chance to use one in a real situation.
- In an interview with GameInformer, Telltale's president Kevin Bruner states that Sarah's behavior was the result of PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder) or something similar which was caused by exposure to the harsh world she lives in; it's also at least part of the reason for Carlos' highly protective behavior regarding Sarah.
- Sarah was not completely oblivious to the apocalypse as she was aware of walkers. This is evident when Clem and her first meet, Clementine has the option of asking Sarah if she wants to see her bitten arm and Sarah will ask, "It really wasn't one of them?"
- Sarah appears to suffer from some kind of anxiety disorder.
- This is first noted by Carlos in "All That Remains", in his words: "She is not like you... If she knew how bad the world is out there... she would cease to function."
- This is seen in "A House Divided" when Clementine talks to her about the events taking place after reaching the house. After hearing the news, she enters an anxiety breakdown for a few seconds, and then returns to her usual optimistic behavior.
- It is also evident in "A House Divided" when Sarah panics and says "Clem, I can't breathe... I-I can't breathe!" after spotting Carver by the cabin door.
- In the beginning of "In Harm's Way", Sarah sits silently by herself in order to avoid "getting in trouble."
- After Carver forces Carlos to smack Sarah, she can be found sitting in the green house crying to herself. She also freezes up during her assignment to cut the berries in the green house in "In Harm's Way" due to the fear of "messing up" and being disciplined again.
- It is seen towards the end of "In Harm's Way", as they were escaping Howe's Hardware through a herd of walkers, she started to panic.
- In "Amid The Ruins", Sarah can be heard screaming from the trailer Luke found her in. Clementine and Jane eventually find her sitting on the ground, frozen in shock and fear. She also goes into a heavy anxiety attack shortly before being devoured by walkers.
- If you convince Sarah to leave the trailer and check on her once the group reunites, she will break down after you tell her that her father won't come back. (Determinant)
- Shortly after convincing Sarah to leave the trailer, she will later fall after the observation deck collapses beneath her. If you send Jane down to help her, Sarah can be heard screaming in fright as Jane tries to lift the rubble off of her while the walkers draw near. She will then proceed into a heavy anxiety attack shortly before the walkers devour her.