Season 10 of AMC's The Walking Dead premiered on October 6, 2019, and concluded on April 4, 2021, consisting of 22 episodes. Developed for television by Frank Darabont, the series is based on the eponymous series of comic books by Robert Kirkman, Tony Moore, and Charlie Adlard. The executive producers are Kirkman, David Alpert, Scott Gimple, Angela Kang, Greg Nicotero, Joe Incaprera, Denise Huth, and Gale Anne Hurd, with Kang as showrunner for the second consecutive season.
Set several months after the massacre perpetrated by Alpha (Samantha Morton) during the community fair, the season focuses on the united communities as they initiate a fight in order to end the threat of the Whisperers.
At Oceanside, the Coalition trains to fight in case the Whisperers return. They are alerted when R.J. discovers a Whisperer mask, and radios Alexandria. While Michonne tells them to simply stay on alert, Gabriel decides to go on lock-down after Negan advises him to do so.
Meanwhile, Michonne and Aaron lead a scouting mission and debate on how to best proceed, when they discover more evidence of Whisperer activity. Back on the beach, Daryl welcomes Carol from months on at the sea and the two have a heart-to-heart conversation. When a Soviet satellite crash-lands in the nearby woods, the survivors are forced to cross into Whisperer territory in order to put out the fire. Later, Daryl and Carol investigate the location of the Whisperers' herd. While the herd is now gone, Alpha emerges from the trees and stares down Carol.
A Whisperer holds resentment towards Alpha for forcing her to abandon her child; she attacks Alpha in the midst of a walker herd but her sister, Gamma, kills her, earning Alpha's respect. Beta discovers a shrine that Alpha has dedicated to Lydia, where Alpha reveals that she lied to the Whisperers about killing Lydia; Alpha destroys the shrine to prove that Lydia is "dead" to her. Beta informs Alpha of the satellite crash, leading Alpha to return to the border to investigate; she spots Carol from a distance. Flashbacks detail how Alpha met Beta and formed the basis for the Whisperers.
The group in Alexandria defends the community against constant waves of walkers, leading the survivors to suspect that Alpha is sending the walkers. Negan earns Aaron's trust after saving him from walkers riddled with hogweed. Gamma arrives in Alexandria and tells the group to meet Alpha at the border, where Alpha demands more land as punishment for crossing into her territory; Carol tries to kill Alpha after she boasts about Henry's death, but Michonne and Daryl stop her.
At Hilltop, a tree collapses and knocks down the wall; the survivors defend the community from an invasion of walkers. As it is believed that the tree was knocked over by the Whisperers, Lydia is attacked by a group of Alexandrians; Negan saves her, accidentally killing one of the attackers in the process. The council is conflicted on what to do with Negan, but Negan goes missing, putting the community on high alert. A depressed Ezekiel nearly attempts suicide, but Michonne intervenes. Michonne, Judith, Luke, and others travel to Oceanside to help the community with walkers.
Kelly becomes disoriented due to her hearing loss and gets lost in the woods, but is later found by Daryl, Connie, and Magna. Aaron encounters Gamma and offers her bandages after she cuts her hand; Gamma flees and informs Alpha of their interaction. Negan is found and joined by Brandon; Brandon murders a mother and her son in an effort to impress Negan, leading Negan to kill him. At Hilltop, the community works to rebuild the wall, while Ezekiel reveals to Siddiq that he has thyroid cancer. Magna reveals to Yumiko that she killed a man who attacked her young cousin, causing a rift between the two. Negan crosses into the Whisperers' territory and is attacked by Beta.
Carol and Daryl set out to destroy Alpha's walker horde; after Carol captures a Whisperer, Daryl becomes skeptical of Carol's intentions. At Alexandria, Rosita and several other survivors become ill after Gamma contaminates Alexandria's water supply with walker blood. Eugene talks to a stranger from an unknown community over the radio, but insists that he will keep their communication a secret for the safety of both parties. Negan is put through tests by Beta to prove his worth; he later vows his loyalty to Alpha and is seemingly accepted into the group.
Carol interrogates the captured Whisperer, during which the Whisperer praises Alpha for claiming to have killed Lydia; he is later poisoned to death by Dante. Carol plans to turn the Whisperers against Alpha for lying about Lydia's death. Gamma meets Aaron at the border, where she holds him at knifepoint; Carol and Lydia arrive, leading Gamma to flee in shock over Lydia's survival. Lydia flees into the woods after realizing that Carol used her. Siddiq suddenly recognizes Dante as a Whisperer present during the pike beheadings, leading Dante to strangle Siddiq to death to protect his identity.
Dante's identity as a Whisperer spy is exposed after he attacks Rosita; he is revealed to be responsible for many recent incidents within the community. Dante is imprisoned for his actions, but Gabriel later murders him in his cell. Oceanside encounters a man named Virgil, whom they initially suspect to be a Whisperer; Virgil eventually offers to lead Michonne to a naval base containing valuable weapons. While searching for Alpha's horde alongside Daryl, Aaron, Magna, Connie, Kelly, and Jerry, Carol spots and chases after Alpha; the group follows behind, where they are lured into a cave, surrounded by Alpha's horde.
The group navigates through the cave, fending off walkers and Whisperers as they search for an exit; Kelly finds a crate full of faulty dynamite, which Carol recklessly detonates in hopes of destroying the horde. Daryl, Carol, Aaron, Jerry, and Kelly eventually escape, but Connie and Magna are trapped inside the cave after the exit collapses from the dynamite blast. Alpha becomes skeptical of Gamma's loyalty after Negan suggests that she might be a spy for Alexandria, leading Alpha to send Beta to track her down; Alpha "rewards" Negan for his intel by having sex with him.
Gamma arrives in Alexandria to inform the group of what happened in the cave; despite her honesty, Gabriel and Rosita are skeptical and lock her in the cell. While searching for another entrance to the cave, Daryl spots Alpha and attacks her; the two brawl and both wind up critically wounded. Daryl is rescued by Lydia, but Alpha is left behind. Beta invades Alexandria through a secret tunnel created by Dante, killing several Alexandrians in the process. Upon finding Gamma, Beta is attacked by Rosita, but he overpowers her; Gamma offers to leave with Beta in order to save Rosita's life, but Beta flees after being outnumbered. Alpha recovers and declares that she is now stronger than ever.
Over the radio, the stranger, Stephanie, finally reveals her name and location to Eugene; they plan to meet in one week. Alpha and the Whisperers plan to attack Hilltop with the horde, forcing the community to start planning for battle; before the battle, Daryl reconciles with Carol. That night, Negan works with the Whisperers to lead the horde to Hilltop; the group fights back, but the Whisperers begin to burn the community using flammable tree sap.
As Hilltop burns to the ground, the survivors scatter into groups in search of safety. While fighting walkers that breached in, Judith becomes shocked after accidentally killing a Whisperer, only snapping out of it when Earl takes her away. Magna escapes from the cave by blending in with the horde, but Connie's fate remains unknown. While luring walkers away from Alden and Kelly, Gamma is found and killed by Beta. After getting the children to safety, Earl succumbs to a walker bite and is put down by Judith. Negan lures Alpha to a cabin after falsely claiming that Lydia is inside; he kills Alpha by slitting her throat and severing her head. Negan is then approached by Carol, revealing that the two were working together to kill Alpha.
Michonne arrives at the naval base with Virgil but finds no weapons, soon realizing it's a trap. Virgil locks her up, and she finds out that there are other captives on the island. Virgil then drugs her, and she experiences hallucinogenic visions of Andrea and Siddiq, and of what her life would have been like if she had sided with Negan and the Saviors. As she comes to, she stabs Virgil, escapes, and frees the others. She chases Virgil to the armory where she finds evidence that Rick Grimes may still be alive. Allowing Virgil to live, she takes leave of the others and contacts Judith via walkie-talkie to tell of her intent to find Rick; she later comes across stragglers who need help catching up to a large group of organized troops marching ahead of them.
Flashbacks show Carol freeing Negan from his cell after he agrees to kill Alpha; in present day, Carol hallucinates Alpha, who taunts her about her morality and her past. Negan struggles to convince Daryl that he killed Alpha; a group of Whisperers ambush the duo and appoint Negan as the new Alpha, but Negan kills them in an effort to prove his loyalty to Daryl. Beta's past identity as a famous country singer is revealed; he plays his own records at high volume, luring walkers to his location. Eugene, Yumiko, and Ezekiel travel to meet Stephanie; on the road, they encounter a quirky and flamboyant survivor. Beta skins Alpha's face and attaches it to his mask before leading the horde of walkers to parts unknown.
After introducing herself to Eugene, Ezekiel, and Yumiko, Princess accidentally scares away their horses and offers to lead them to transportation. She takes them on a roundabout path as she wants to endear herself to them, having been alone for numerous years. Beta, hearing voices in his head, leads the horde of walkers he has gathered to Alexandria to find it empty. Alden and Aaron, hiding in the windmill, report on the movements to the rest of Alexandrians who have sheltered in a nearby hospital. Beta and the horde head towards the hospital.
With the hospital surrounded, Daryl and other survivors sneak through the horde and lead it away using a wagon and loud music; Beatrice is killed on the way. Several Whisperers make it into the hospital where Gabriel remains behind to allow the others to escape. Maggie and a masked survivor rescue Gabriel, having received Carol's letters and then saving Alden and Aaron. The Whisperers destroy the makeshift sound system, forcing Daryl's group to infiltrate the horde and kill the Whisperers one by one. After a fight with Negan, Beta is wounded by Daryl and consumed by the walkers. Lydia and Carol lead the horde over a cliff. Meanwhile, Eugene's group is captured by armed soldiers while trying to make his rendezvous, and Virgil finds an exhausted Connie near Oceanside.
Maggie discovers that Negan has been released and Carol explains she released him and that he was the one who killed Alpha. Maggie then learns that the Hilltop had been burned and destroyed from an attack by the Whisperers. Maggie, Daryl and the others seek refuge for the night and later return to Maggie's groups safe haven to find two of their members dead and Maggie's son Hershel missing. Cole, a member of Maggie's group, explains who the Reapers are and that they destroyed their home. While searching for Hershel, Maggie and the others are attacked by a Reaper who ends up killing three members of Maggie's group. Maggie and Daryl manage to find the attacker and subdue him, but he commits suicide with a grenade before they can interrogate him. Soon after, Maggie finds Hershel is safe. The group then returns to Alexandria, where the walls are being repaired that the Whisperers destroyed.
Daryl prepares to go hunting for food in the woods and reluctantly allows Carol to tag along. While hunting, Daryl's dog locates an abandoned cabin. In the cabin, Carol finds a note which Daryl remembers. In flashbacks to five years ago, shortly after Rick's supposed death, Daryl wanders alone in the woods to find him. Daryl meets his dog's owner who at first takes Daryl hostage and interrogates him. The owner sets him free and the two have occasional run-ins. Eventually, the owner introduces herself as Leah and the two begin a relationship. 10 months later, Daryl returns to find Leah gone after an argument. In hopes that they would run into each other again, Daryl writes a note requesting for Leah to find him. In the present day, Daryl blames Carol for what happened to Connie and the pair have a fight that ends with them going their separate ways.
While on a supply run, Aaron and Gabriel find an apparently abandoned warehouse and spend the night. The next day, Aaron is missing and a gunman named Mays approaches Gabriel who tells him that this is his safehouse and that Gabriel and Aaron have taken his supplies. Mays reveals a tied-up Aaron and forces him and Gabriel to play Russian roulette. Gabriel and Aaron try to convince him that not all people are bad, but he refuses and confesses what he did to his family. When Aaron is about to pull the trigger on himself, Mays tells him to stop. When Mays unties them, Gabriel kills him with the mace from Aaron's prosthetic arm. They then discover Mays' captive brother, along with the corpses of his family, in the attic. Aaron and Gabriel try to free him but he kills himself.
Eugene, Princess, Yumiko, and Ezekiel are imprisoned in separate boxcars by a group of masked soldiers. While imprisoned, Princess is able to make contact with Yumiko before the latter is taken by soldiers. When Princess gets a splinter, she begins to suffer from PTSD. The following day, she discovers a way out to Eugene's boxcar. Eugene informs Princess to go back to her boxcar and follow the community's protocols. Princess is then interrogated by one of the soldiers, although she refuses to answer the questions, forcing her back to her boxcar. Princess attempts to see Eugene again, only to find him gone. Ezekiel then enters her boxcar, and the two have a brief argument. One of the soldiers then enters the boxcar. Princess and Ezekiel interrogate the soldier who reveals he is only just following protocol. However, Ezekiel beats up the soldier only for Princess to realize she was hallucinating Ezekiel the whole time. Princess escapes and confronts another hallucination of Ezekiel who attempts to convince her to leave, but Princess refuses in the end and returns back to her boxcar. There, she frees the soldier and completes the interrogation, only for her and the group to be captured again.
Daryl and Carol go their separate ways; Carol returns to Alexandria with Dog and Daryl goes off into the woods. Carol, wanting to feel useful, tries to make soup for the community with the limited resources available. Carol also makes a mousetrap in an attempt catch a rat that had been in the grain and fixes the solar panels that were not working. In the woods, Daryl's motorbike breaks down and he scavenges a vehicle for parts to fix it. Daryl realizes he is unable to fix it without the knife that he had previously given to Carol. Daryl comes across a group of walkers wearing military gear, and he is able to kill them and take supplies, including a knife needed to fix his bike. Daryl returns to Alexandria and they ask each other about their difficult day. Their friendship is still strained and they again go their separate ways.
With increasing tensions between Negan and Maggie, Carol decides to banish Negan to Leah's cabin for his safety. Negan reflects on his past, where he was a deadbeat and unfaithful husband to his wife Lucille, who shares to him that she has cancer and asks him to stay until she dies. Negan refuses to give up on her and continues to treat her as the apocalypse begins, but he is forced to search for medicine when their stash is spoiled. Six weeks later, he meets a doctor named Franklin and his daughter Laura who gives him medicine after hearing his story, but he is captured by a biker gang on the way home. He is released with the medicine after giving up Franklin's location, but returns home only to see that Lucille had killed herself in his absence. After burning their house alongside Lucille, he returns to the biker gang, kills them, and rescues Franklin and Laura. In the present, he digs up his Lucille baseball bat which is destroyed after killing a walker in self-defense. Burning the rest of the bat and at peace with his past, he returns to Alexandria and accepts whatever fate befalls him.
- Main article: Title Screens (TV Series)
- Norman Reedus as Daryl Dixon (20/22)
- Danai Gurira as Michonne Grimes (6/22)
- Melissa McBride as Carol Peletier (17/22)
- Lauren Cohan as Maggie Rhee (4/22)
- Christian Serratos as Rosita Espinosa (12/22)
- Josh McDermitt as Eugene Porter (13/22)
- Seth Gilliam as Gabriel Stokes (9/22)
- Ross Marquand as Aaron (14/22)
- Khary Payton as Ezekiel Sutton (10/22)
- Ryan Hurst as Beta (11/22)
- Samantha Morton as Dee (13/22)
- Jeffrey Dean Morgan as Negan Smith (14/22)
- Also Starring
- Callan McAuliffe as Alden (7/22)
- Avi Nash as Siddiq (8/22)
- Eleanor Matsuura as Yumiko Okumura (9/22)
- Cooper Andrews as Jerry (10/22)
- Nadia Hilker as Magna (9/22)
- Cailey Fleming as Judith Grimes (11/22)
- Cassady McClincy as Lydia (10/22)
- Lauren Ridloff as Connie (7/22)
- Dan Fogler as Luke (7/22)
- John Finn as Earl Sutton (5/22)
- Sydney Park as Cyndie (2/22)
- Juan Javier Cardenas as Dante (7/22)
- Kerry Cahill as Dianne (8/22)
- Lindsley Register as Laura (7/22)
- Angel Theory as Kelly (10/22)
- Avianna Mynhier as Rachel Ward (5/22)
- Blaine Kern III as Brandon (3/22)
- Thora Birch as Mary (10/22)
- Kenric Green as Scott (4/22)
- Nadine Marissa as Nabila (7/22)
- James Parks as Captured Whisperer (2/22)
- Margot Bingham as Max Mercer (2/22)
- Kevin Carroll as Virgil (3/22)
- Karen Ceesay as Bertie (3/22)
- Paola Lázaro as Juanita Sanchez (4/22)
- Juliet Brett as Frances (3/22)
- Havana Blum as Younger Lydia (1/22)
- Eve Gordon as Celeste (1/22)
- Taylor Nichols as Jeremiah (1/22)
- Olivia Stambouliah as Lucy (1/22)
- Breeda Wool as Aiden (1/22)
- Andrew Bachelor as Bailey (1/22)
- Mark Sivertsen as Rufus (1/22)
- Jessica Pohly as Dark Haired Whisperer (1/22)
- James Devoti as Cole (1/22)
- Lynn Collins as Leah Shaw (1/22)
- Robert Patrick as Mays (1/22)
- Jessejames Locorriere as Interrogation Trooper (2/22)
- Cameron Roberts as Tyler Davis (2/22)
- Hilarie Burton Morgan as Lucille Smith (1/22)
- Miles Mussenden as Franklin (1/22)
- Rod Rowland as Craven (1/22)
- Anthony Lopez as Oscar (5/22)
- Gustavo Gomez as Marco (6/22)
- Jackson Pace as Gage (3/22)
- Antony Azor as R.J. Grimes (9/22)
- Tamara Austin as Nora (4/22)
- Anabelle Holloway as Gracie (6/22)
- Jerri Tubbs as Margo (3/22)
- David Shae as Alfred (3/22)
- Alex Sgambati as Jules (4/22)
- Heather Gilliland as Teacher (1/22)
- Seth Dousman as Male Whisperer (1/22)
- Kristin Erickson as Whisperer Woman (1/22)
- Erica Frene as Injured Woman (1/22)
- Matt Lintz as Henry (2/22)
- Austin Freeman as Alex (1/22)
- Camille Robinson as Brianna (1/22)
- Virginia Newcomb as Amelia (1/22)
- Roman Spink as Milo (1/22)
- Ross Crain as Whisperer (1/22)
- Rebecca Koon as Cheryl (3/22)
- Matt Mangum as D.J. (2/22)
- Mandi Christine Kerr as Barbara (3/22)
- Rae Olivier as Jen (1/22)
- Vince Foster as Wayne (1/22)
- Nick DeKay as Guard (1/22)
- Pamela Gold as Panicked Woman (1/22)
- William Gregory Lee as Chanting Whisperer (2/22)
- Alex Livinalli as Shotgun Whisperer (1/22)
- Philip Fornah as Whisperer (1/22)
- Stefan Rollins as Rifle Whisperer (1/22)
- Louis Zehner as Talking Charred Hero Walker (1/22)
- Briana Venskus as Beatrice (1/22)
- Grace Toso as Rotted Female Whisperer (1/22)
- Okea Eme-Akwari as Elijah (2/22)
- Brianna Butler as Maya (1/22)
- Kien Michael Spiller as Hershel Rhee (2/22)
- David Atkinson as Gus (1/22)
- Haley Leary as Ainsley (1/22)
- Mike Whinnet as Montanio (1/22)
- Erik Bello as Examining Trooper (2/22)
- Seven as Dog
- Marvin Lee as Kyle
- Micah King as Ezra
- Autumn Azul as Aliyah
- Maya & Delaney Timber as Mariam
- Katelyn Nacon & Unknown as Enid (Flashback)
- Quandae Stewart as Quan
- Andrew Douglass as Troy
- Madison Lintz as Sophia Peletier (Hallucination, Photograph)
- Brighton Sharbino as Lizzie Samuels (Hallucination, Photograph)
- Kyla Kenedy as Mika Samuels (Hallucination, Photograph)
- Major Dodson as Sam Anderson (Hallucination, Photograph)
- Gianni Biasetti Jr. as Felix
- Kristin Reyelt as Penny
- Laurie Holden as Andrea (Archive Footage)
- Steven Yeun as Glenn Rhee (Archive Footage)
- Corey Hawkins as Heath (Archive Footage)
- Andrew Lincoln as Rick Grimes (Archive Footage)
- Chandler Riggs as Carl Grimes (Archive Footage)
- Michael Cudlitz as Abraham Ford (Archive Footage)
- Sonequa Martin-Green as Sasha Williams (Archive Footage)
- Steven Ogg as Simon (Archive Footage)
- Austin Amelio as Dwight (Archive Footage)
- Nathan Hicks as Keno (Archive Footage)
- Erin Leigh Bushko as Erin (Archive Footage)
- Denisha Gillespie as Lisa
- Terri Joe Kennedy as Theresa
- Moses J. Moseley as Mike
- Theshay West as Terry
- Gloria DeWeese as Kim
- Barbara Hooper as Mays' Sister-in-Law (Photograph/Corpse)
- Jason Fernandes as Livits & Viper 3
- Carl as Young Dog
- David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick as Radio Announcer
- Prop as Jen
- Prop as Billy
- Unknown as Female Whisperer
- Unknown as Socorro Espinosa
- Unknown as Adam Sutton
- Unknown as Matthew Shaw (Flashback, Photograph)
- Unknown as Mays' Niece (Photograph/Corpse)
- Unknown as Viper 1
- Ryan D. Olson as Viper 2
- Jason White as Jonah's Father
- Jamel Vaughn as Papa Bear
- London Pigott as Breakfast Girl (Photograph)
- Jimmy McAfee as Alexandria Guard
- Elizabeth as Alexandria Resident
- Patrick Croce as Whisperer Hunter
- Shellane Demarest as Alexandria Resident
- Russ Milheim as Alexandria Resident
- Jon Arthur as Alexandria Resident
- Mario Williams as Alexandria Resident
- Andrew S. McMillan as Alexandria Resident
- Anthony Porrey as Alexandria Resident
- Brennan Kerr as Alexandria Resident
- Bruce Greene as Alexandria Resident
- Calen Edwards as Alexandria Resident
- Chris Brittain as Alexandria Resident
- Chris Hodge as Alexandria Resident
- Chuck Hollywood as Alexandria Resident
- Dan Parro as Alexandria Resident
- Dani Lyman as Alexandria Resident
- Dana Lee Rampy as Alexandria Resident
- Darian Fisher as Alexandria Resident
- Jack Orrell as Alexandria Resident
- Jackie Chlebowski as Alexandria Resident
- Jason Phillips as Alexandria Resident
- Jeff Stancil as Alexandria Resident
- Joe Fink as Alexandria Resident
- John Prozny as Alexandria Resident
- Kristen DeSantis as Alexandria Resident
- Laura L. Anderson Weber as Alexandria Resident
- Leslie Henry Fox as Alexandria Resident
- Mason Beard as Alexandria Resident
- Mason Pike as Alexandria Resident
- Michelle Hartwig Rich as Alexandria Resident
- Michelle Morano as Alexandria Resident
- Mike Gamez as Alexandria Resident
- Reba Varnadoe as Alexandria Resident
- Rebecca Hardy as Alexandria Resident
- Scott Lomas as Alexandria Resident
- Teri Stewart as Alexandria Resident
- Tia Davis as Alexandria Resident
- Tim Carr as Alexandria Resident
- Tonya Lee as Alexandria Resident
- Tyler Thouviner as Alexandria Resident
- William Herlth as Alexandria Resident
- Brandon Stoker as Alexandria Resident
- Gia as Alexandria Resident
- Aden Stay as Hilltop Resident
- Aja Lacy as Hilltop Resident
- Arianna Nuckolls as Hilltop Resident
- Austin Green as Hilltop Resident
- Beth Merritt as Hilltop Resident
- Billy Massingale as Hilltop Resident
- Bissette Williams as Hilltop Resident
- Bob Melton as Hilltop Resident
- Brad Bradley as Hilltop Resident
- Brandon Hardison as Hilltop Resident
- Brandon Pagel as Hilltop Resident
- Brenden Eason as Hilltop Resident
- Carol Parente as Hilltop Resident
- Chikako Nakajima as Hilltop Resident
- Claire Johnson as Hilltop Resident
- Dalton Baxter as Hilltop Resident
- Danny Evans as Hilltop Resident
- Darren Baylor as Hilltop Resident
- David Aird as Hilltop Resident
- David Jones as Hilltop Resident
- Diane Weaver as Hilltop Resident
- Elizabeth Hale as Hilltop Resident
- George McLean as Hilltop Resident
- Henry Cambron as Hilltop Resident
- Jack Kidd as Hilltop Resident
- Jennifer Angel as Hilltop Resident
- Joey Renfroe as Hilltop Resident
- John Gettier as Hilltop Resident
- Jordan Ling as Hilltop Resident
- Keely Rose McDonald as Hilltop Resident
- Kevin Harrison as Hilltop Resident
- Kinney M. Lee as Hilltop Resident
- Laura Kelly as Hilltop Resident
- Maggie Holmes as Hilltop Resident
- Maria Z. Wilson as Hilltop Resident
- Mary Ann as Hilltop Resident
- Mary DoCoteau as Hilltop Resident
- Matthew Czarnowsky as Hilltop Resident
- Melody Causer as Hilltop Resident
- Meredith Hale as Hilltop Resident
- Michelle Couch as Hilltop Resident
- Nelson Padilla as Hilltop Resident
- Nick Bruno as Hilltop Resident
- Phil Washington as Hilltop Resident
- Radney Galvez as Hilltop Resident
- Ryan Smith as Hilltop Resident
- Sooki Martinsen as Hilltop Resident
- Stephen Phillips as Hilltop Resident
- Stephen Holohan as Hilltop Resident
- Susan Boone as Hilltop Resident
- Timm Kruecker as Hilltop Resident
- Tom Taaffe as Hilltop Resident
- Tyrone Neal as Hilltop Resident
- Warren Franks as Hilltop Resident
- William F. Bell as Hilltop Resident
- Corey Gupton as Hilltop Resident
- Zack Harper as Hilltop Resident
- Lindsay Monihan as Hilltop Resident
- Alan James Weber as Oceanside Resident
- Allena Paget as Oceanside Resident
- Angelia Stewart as Oceanside Resident
- Christopher Brown as Oceanside Resident
- Christopher Carson as Oceanside Resident
- Candace Knight as Oceanside Resident
- Cindy Strickland Ralston as Oceanside Resident
- David Hernandez as Oceanside Resident
- Dee Parra as Oceanside Resident
- Dej'a Johnson as Oceanside Resident
- Ellen A. Lewis as Oceanside Resident
- Ember Brown as Oceanside Resident
- Esther Pittman as Oceanside Resident
- Gloria DeWeese as Oceanside Resident
- James Hutt as Oceanside Resident
- Jessica Prichard as Oceanside Resident
- Jenni Brown as Oceanside Resident
- Kady Carter as Oceanside Resident
- Karly Rampy as Oceanside Resident
- Kathryn Spratlin as Oceanside Resident
- Keely McAllister as Oceanside Resident
- Lara Lee Slaughter as Oceanside Resident
- Lisa Shirley as Oceanside Resident
- Marisol Correa as Oceanside Resident
- Mary Kaye as Oceanside Resident
- Nicole Marines as Oceanside Resident
- Rachel Foster as Oceanside Resident
- Rachel Hernandez as Oceanside Resident
- Rick Crumbley as Oceanside Resident
- Robin Cox as Oceanside Resident
- Sarah McCunney as Oceanside Resident
- Injured Woman (Flashback)
- Beta's Best Friend (Zombified, Flashback)
- Dante's entire military squad (Confirmed Fate)
- Brandon's Mother (Confirmed Fate)
- Brandon's Father (Confirmed Fate)
- Magna's Cousin's Rapist (Confirmed Fate)
- Aaron's Brother (Confirmed Fate)
- Siddiq (Alive and Zombified)
- Jimmy (Confirmed Fate)
- Jimmy's Assailant (Confirmed Fate)
- Alfred (Alive and Zombified)
- Felix (Alive and Zombified)
- Penny (Alive and Zombified)
- Troy (Alive)
- Mary (Alive and Zombified)
- Earl Sutton (Alive and Zombified)
- Dee (Alive and Zombified)
- Lisa (Alive, Confirmed Fate; Zombified)
- Jasmine (Alive, Confirmed Fate; Zombified)
- Bobby (Alive, Confirmed Fate; Zombified)
- Josephine (Alive, Confirmed Fate)
- Matty (Confirmed Fate)
- Matthew's Mother (Confirmed Fate)
- Dog's Mother (Confirmed Fate)
- Matthew Shaw (Confirmed Fate)
- Tommy Franklin (Confirmed Fate)
- Mays' Brother
- Mays' Sister-in-Law (Confirmed Fate)
- Mays' Niece (Confirmed Fate)
- Lucille Smith (Alive and Zombified, Flashback)
- Craven (Flashback)
- 4 unnamed campers (Confirmed Fate)
- 2 deers
- At least 68 unnamed Whisperers
- 3 boars
- At least 12 unnamed Alexandria residents
- At least 4 unnamed Oceanside residents
- 2 unknown animals (Confirmed Fate)
- 27 unnamed Bloodsworth Island survivors (Confirmed Fate)
- 2 unnamed Grand Hotel survivors (Confirmed Fate)
- 3 horses
- 1 possum
- 9 unnamed people (Confirmed Fate)
- At least 5 unnamed Valak's Vipers (Flashback)
- Many unnamed Hilltop residents
- Numerous fish
In February 2019, the series was renewed for a tenth season. Filming began in May 2019. Andrew Lincoln expressed interest in directing an episode for season 10, however, he was not able to due to scheduling conflicts. Michael Cudlitz, who directed an episode in season 9, returned to direct the fourth and seventh episodes of season 10. Production for the original 16-episode order of season 10 was completed in November 2019. Production resumed in October 2020, for the six additional episodes for season 10. The series moved from shooting on 16 mm film to digital beginning with the six bonus episodes. This changed was prompted due to the COVID-19 pandemic and safety precautions with there being less "touch points" with digital than film.
In February 2019, it was announced that Danai Gurira, who portrays Michonne, would exit the series in the tenth season. Gurira appeared in a limited capacity, in a handful of episodes that was interspersed throughout the season. Later, in July 2019, Gurira confirmed her exit at a panel at the San Diego Comic-Con, and stated:
I can confirm this is the last season I'll be on this amazing TV show as Michonne. I would just like to say this has been one of the purest joys in my life. I am very very thankful for the experience I've had in ways that I can't even express right now. My heart does not leave... it doesn't ever end, the connection between us never ends. It was a very difficult decision. It was about my calling and other things I feel called to... as a creator of work. All I'm filled with is a lot of pain about leaving and a lot of gratitude and to all of you. I love you guys. TWD family is forever.
In July 2019, it was announced that Thora Birch and Kevin Carroll had been cast; Birch plays Gamma, the third-in-command of the Whisperers, and Carroll plays Virgil, a survivor looking for his family. Regarding Lauren Cohan's status on the show as Maggie Rhee, showrunner Angela Kang remarked in July 2019, "I'll just say that we're working on it." Cohan left The Walking Dead in its ninth season to star in the TV series Whiskey Cavalier, however that series was canceled after one season. In October 2019, Kang affirmed Cohan would return as a series regular in season 11, but also hinted towards her appearance in the second half of season 10. Kang said that in developing season, even before knowing of Cohan's return, they had kept seeding that Maggie was still considered part of the ongoing narrative so that they could work in her return if she had the opportunity. The teaser trailer for "A Certain Doom", airing after the broadcast of "The Tower", confirmed Maggie's return to the series.
As part of the extended episodes for Season 10, one focuses on Negan's backstory and introduces his wife Lucille, who is played by Morgan's real-life wife, Hilarie Burton Morgan. On November 19, 2020, it was announced that Robert Patrick and Okea Eme-Akwari had been cast for the extended episodes as new characters Mays and Elijah, respectively.
The trailer was released on July 19, 2019, at the San Diego Comic-Con. The season premiere was made available for streaming to subscribers of AMC Premiere on September 29, 2019.
AMC announced in March 2020 that due to the COVID-19 pandemic, post-production on the season finale could not be completed by its planned April 12, 2020, airdate, and instead would air on October 4, 2020, with an additional six episodes added to the tenth season to broadcast through early 2021. Showrunner Angela Kang stated that the delay on post-production was related with coordination of the worldwide production studios doing their special effects before the state issued its shutdown orders that effectively shuttered their California production studio to combine those into the final episode package. "Home Sweet Home" premiered a week early on February 21, 2021, on AMC+ before its televised air date and subsequent episodes were released every Thursday ahead of its AMC linear premiere on Sunday.
The tenth season of The Walking Dead has received generally positive reviews. On Rotten Tomatoes, the season holds a score of 77% with an average rating of 7 out of 10, based on 6 reviews. The critical consensus reads: "A few changes in front of and behind the camera allow TWD create space for compelling new stories and some seriously scary new adversaries." Commenting on the season premiere, Brandon Davis of Comicbook.com called it a "perfect return" while Alex Zalben of Decider wrote that the episode is "gross, scary, and big budget storytelling the way only Walking Dead can do. Season 10 is already off to a promising start". Writing for Den of Geek, Ron Hogan gave the season premiere 4 out of 5 stars, calling it a "solid episode". Paul Tassi of Forbes praised the writing and direction, writing: "The writing remains on point, the direction is solid. The show is still in a good place."
In further reviews based upon the first three episodes available to critics, Tassi wrote that "they're all good episodes, and I think I liked each one more than the last" and "they're very solid and continue my confidence in the Angela Kang era of the show, showing that season 9 wasn't a fluke. The show is genuinely good now, and I can't wait to see what's next". Cameron Bonomolo of Comicbook.com praised the episodes for its horror elements, writing: "The Walking Dead Season 10 recaptures the same tone of raw realism established by first-season showrunner Frank Darabont, expanding on it with a flavoring that is deliciously eerie. Not only is The Walking Dead straight-up scary, it often feels like a genuine horror movie, a feat achieved either through atmosphere and tension-building or pop-up spooks."
The tenth season of The Walking Dead received five nominations for the upcoming 46th Saturn Awards—Best Horror Television Series (the series' fifth consecutive nomination, with four consecutive wins), Best Supporting Actor on a Television Series for Norman Reedus (his fourth nomination), Best Supporting Actress on a Television Series for Melissa McBride (her seventh consecutive nomination, with two consecutive wins), Best Performance by a Younger Actor on a Television Series for Cassady McClincy, and Best Guest Starring Performance on a Television Series for Jeffrey Dean Morgan (his fourth consecutive nomination, with two wins).
At the inaugural Critics' Choice Super Awards, the season was also nominated for Best Horror Series and Best Villain in a Series for Samantha Morton. The first half of the season was nominated for Outstanding Action Performance by a Stunt Ensemble a Comedy or Drama Series at the 26th Screen Actors Guild Awards (the series' eighth consecutive nomination). Additionally, Danai Gurira won the Gracie Award for Outstanding Female Actor in a Leading Role in a Drama.
Home Media Releases
The 22-episode tenth season was released on Blu-ray and DVD on July 20, 2021, with special features including multiple audio commentaries and an "In Memoriam" featurette.
- This season is mainly based on "Volume 25: No Turning Back", "Volume 26: Call To Arms", "Volume 27: The Whisperer War", "Volume 28: A Certain Doom" and "Volume 29: Lines We Cross" from the Comic Series.
- On April 4, 2019, Angela Kang confirmed that there is another time jump this season.
- Below are the changes made to the main cast in this season:
- Following their characters' deaths in the previous season, Alanna Masterson (Tara Chambler) and Katelyn Nacon (Enid) have been removed from the opening credits.
- This is Danai Gurira's final season portraying Michonne Grimes.
- She appeared only in a "limited capacity", described as a "handful of episodes that will be interspersed throughout Season 10".
- On July 19, 2019, during San Diego Comic-Con, Danai confirmed that she would not be returning after Season 10.
- Angela Kang confirmed that she is "working on" bringing Lauren Cohan back to the show this season. In October, Cohan was officially confirmed to return later in the season at NYCC.
- She makes her return as Maggie Rhee in episode 16, "A Certain Doom" as a special guest star.
- She is reinstated to the opening credits in "Home Sweet Home".
- Callan McAuliffe (Alden) and Avi Nash (Siddiq) are still listed under "Also Starring", despite being credited as series regulars in the previous season.
- Following his character's death in "Open Your Eyes", Avi Nash is no longer listed under "Also Starring". He is later reinstated under "Also Starring" in "What We Become" due to Michonne's hallucination sequence.
- Ryan Hurst (Beta), Eleanor Matsuura (Yumiko Okumura), Cooper Andrews (Jerry), Nadia Hilker (Magna), Cailey Fleming (Judith Grimes), Cassady McClincy (Lydia), and Lauren Ridloff (Connie) have been upgraded to series regulars after recurring appearances.
- Ryan Hurst has been added to the opening credits.
- Following his character's death in "A Certain Doom", Ryan Hurst has been removed from the opening credits.
- Despite their status as series regulars, Eleanor Matsuura, Cooper Andrews, Nadia Hilker, Cailey Fleming, Cassady McClincy, and Lauren Ridloff are listed under "Also Starring".
- Ryan Hurst has been added to the opening credits.
- Following her character's death in "Walk With Us", Samantha Morton (Dee) has been removed from the opening credits, although she was still credited in the two subsequent episodes, "What We Become" and "Look at the Flowers".
- Michael Cudlitz, who portrayed Abraham Ford, directed two episodes of this season.
- On March 24, 2020, AMC announced that due to the COVID-19 pandemic, post-production on the sixteenth episode could not be completed by its planned April 12, 2020 airdate. Instead, it was later released as a special episode on October 4, 2020.
- This is the first time an episode of the Original TV Series has been postponed.
- This season is tied with Season 3 with killing off the second most main cast characters, with three regulars killed off: Siddiq, Alpha and Beta.
- This season is extended with an additional six episodes, upping the episode count from 16 to 22.
- This makes Season 10 the second longest season of the TV Series to date.
- This is the first time a season of the Original TV Series has been extended, with the second being Season 11.
- This is also the first season that is divided into three parts instead of the usual two.
- This is the first season since Season 2 to not have 16 episodes.
- This is the fifth consecutive season which Robert Kirkman wrote none of the episodes since Season 5.
- The second-part finale of this season of The Walking Dead is featured on the same night as the season premiere of Season 1 of The Walking Dead: World Beyond.
- This marks the first time a new episode of The Walking Dead and The Walking Dead: World Beyond have been aired the on same night.