|This article is about the fourth season of the Fear TV Series. You may be looking for the fourth season of the Original TV Series or the fourth season of the Video Game.|
Season 4 of AMC's Fear The Walking Dead consists of sixteen episodes, that first aired with on April 15, 2018. The show was renewed on April 14, 2017. Production of the season started on November 16, 2017, with new showrunners Andrew Chambliss and Ian Goldberg taking over from Dave Erickson.
Morgan Jones decides to leave Virginia to escape from people and ends up in Texas where he meets John Dorie. They are both captured and are eventually rescued by Althea thanks to her armored SWAT truck rigged with machine guns. Morgan is injured during the scuffle. She offers them both rides in exchange for their stories of how they became what they are now. Morgan, still distant, tries to continue alone and is once more saved by the two. Morgan agrees to stay with them until his leg heals. Later, they come across Alicia's group consisting of Strand, Nick, and Luciana where her group holds them at gunpoint.
In the past, Madison's group live in a baseball stadium with a larger group and it thrives until their crops are overrun with weevils. Madison and Alicia meet Naomi on a run who tries to steal their car only to fall through the roof of an oil tower. Madison rescues her despite the previous threat and offers her a place at the stadium. Naomi agrees. Later that night, a group of raiders in caravans show up and give them an ultimatum, leave or they will wait for them to die off. They know about the weevils thanks to Charlie; a little girl Madison took in who secretly spied on them. Madison refuses the offer and leaves the group outside.
In present, Alicia's group tells Morgan's group about the Vultures after they find one of their flags in the truck. They demand to know where Al found it.
Al unsuccessfully tries to extract info from the hostile group and take back her truck which ends up crashing. While the others look for a tow truck, Nick and Morgan stay behind. An El Camerio appears and Nick chases after it. He briefly remembers his mother as he passes a patch of bluebonnets and kneels beside them and is saved by Morgan from Walkers. Morgan tries to tell him that killing the people hurt him won't make it any better and even tries to convince the driver, Ennis, to run. However, Nick charges and kills Ennis. Later, Nick is shot by Charlie who runs as the rest of the group rush to save but he bleeds out.
Al finally manages to coax info out of Alicia's group where they reveal the Vultures attempted to starve them out of the stadium. They share regrets of the choices they made which led them to the path they're on now because it led to Nick's death. They arrive at a spot where Alicia's group buried a cash of weapons. One of the guns is shown to be Naomi's and the one he gave to woman named Laura. He deduces they are the same person and decides to search for her on foot with Morgan accompanying him.
In the past, Luciana and Nick go on a run and find an atlas to help the group expand their supply runs and find locations the Vultures don't know about. Alicia and Naomi's run involves the latter attempting to flee on several occasions as she doesn't believe that the stadium will survive.
Before meeting Morgan, John Dorie lives alone in his cabin until he comes across Naomi, who uses the pseudonym Laura, and John nurses her back to health. She helps him with her nurse's experience on how to patch her up. He welcomes her to stay as long as she'd like. Naomi insists she will leave as soon as she is better. As time passes though, she grows fond of him. After surviving a home invasion of Walkers, she professes her love for him and he gives her one of his guns to take with her on the road. The next morning, she does leave.
In the past, Madison takes Strand and Naomi on a run for supplies where Strand confides with her about his feelings towards Naomi and how he feels he hasn't changed as he hid supplies in a getaway car for a quick escape if things went bad. Naomi leads them close to a FEMA shelter before going on without them. She is nearly cornered by the dead until she is rescued by the two. Naomi reveals that she was responsible for the shelter falling when she hid her sick daughter while she went to look for antibiotics. She returned to find her daughter turned bit everyone inside. Mel and the Vultures vacate the parking lot upon realizing that Madison's group will survive longer than expected.
John and Morgan come across a member of the Vultures which the corner and soot off his finger. They warn him of Alicia and her group's plan to ambush them. At the meet spot, Alicia and her crew prepare to fight as a van with Mel and his group approach. As the group prepare to face off, Laura, AKA Naomi, arrives and an incensed Alicia shoots at her only to hit John instead.
In the past, Charlie returns to the stadium for help when Mel is injured. Charlie explains that she and Mel parted ways with the Vultures after Mel got into a fight with Ennis. Madison agrees to bring Mel to the stadium's infirmary, despite Nick's concerns that it might be another trap. As Ennis mounts a Walker army, Madison decides to send Mel away after he attacks Naomi but keeps Charlie with them. At Charlie's insistence; Alicia, Luciana, and Nick go after Mel to bring him back. As they return, Ennis' convoy arrives and they release the dead after and start an oil fire to prevent the survivors from escaping.
In the present, as gunfire ensues, Morgan and Naomi take John to Al's SWAT truck and they also save Charlie from Luciana's wrath. Naomi instructs Al to drive to the stadium. Alicia sees Mel crawling on the ground and kills him before her Luciana and Strand head to the stadium to kill Naomi and Charlie. Al's SWAT truck arrives at the stadium where Naomi explains the stadium infirmary still has supplies to save John. Al plows through the stadium gates where the stadium is filled with charred Infected.
Al clears a path for Morgan and Naomi to get to the infirmary but Alicia's group arrives and exchange gunfire. Alicia makes it to the truck and holds Charlie hostage for a brief moment until she and Al fight once more. Alicia finds boxes of ramen and demands to know where she got it from. She finds a tape where Al interviewed Madison when she thought she lost her family. Madison, in the video, says she will do whatever it takes to preserve her children's humanity.
Morgan digs his way out of the tunnel and comes face to face with Alicia. Alicia aims her gun at Naomi. Morgan convinces Alicia to relinquish the weapon and she breaks down in tears. As both groups come together, they reveal how the stadium and everyone there was destroyed while Madison sacrificed herself so that her family could escape. Naomi reveals to John her real name: June. Al lowers her camera and writes "Madison" on the interview tape. The group eats ramen around the campfire.
After the events with the Vultures, the group has drifted apart. Morgan and Al each live alone, John and June help raise Charlie who is traumatized and guilt ridden, and Strand lives in an abandoned mansion with Luciana and Alicia although the two barely see her anymore. Morgan decides to head back to Virginia with Al driving him, and he extends an invite for the rest of the group but all decline. He finds Alicia who is trying answer a call for help on a note and she is devastated when the person is already turned.
A hurricane forms and everyone gets caught up in it. June and Naomi drive in the SWAT truck and are battered. John and Strand look for Charlie, while Luciana chases her away before she decides to go after her after the former leaves her a gift. Alicia leaves Morgan behind to head off on her own.
Alicia takes refuge in an abandoned house to escape the raging storm. However, Charlie has also taken refuge their too. Alicia has reservations with Charlie being there, calling her garbage deserves to suffer a long life with guilt. Eventually, Alicia forces Charlie to help her fix up the defenses and later holds her at gunpoint after finding in Charlie's bag. Charlie heads upstairs where she steps onto a balcony and walks right up to the impaled walker, which grabs her, but Alicia pulls her away just in time. She realizes Charlie is suicidal. As the winds intensify, the girls end up trapped in a flooding basement. Confident that they will die in the basement, she begs Alicia to shoot her so that she doesn't turn but Alicia can't bring herself to do it. The Walker on the balcony falls onto the doors, breaking the lock. Alicia and Charlie escape. After the storm is over, they each go to their respective shelters only to find everyone gone. They decide to set off on their own.
Morgan wakes in Mississippi after taking shelter in a pickup truck where he encounters Wendell and Sarah. They explain that they are truck drivers who deliver supplies. Morgan worries about the friends he left behind and vows to find them. However, when he gets to a bridge, he decides to turn back. He saves Jim Bauer from Walkers and it is revealed the Wendell and Sarah tied him up and left him for dead after he refused to share his beer recipe and that they stole the truck for themselves. They ask for the location of Morgan's community in Virginia, but Morgan remains silent. En route, the truck stops and Jim accidentally knocks Morgan into the herd's path. Morgan jumps on top of a car. The trio leave him there and he manages to escape and catch up with them They confront him about providing false directions. Morgan agrees to take them to his community if they pick up his friends in Texas.
A filthy woman, Martha, listens to a radio broadcast from Morgan and talks to her Walker companion on going to Texas.
June and Al are stranded in the middle of a road as the SWAT truck has no gas. They locate a truck and find a box telling them to take what they need. Suddenly, the SWAT truck drives past Al and June. Al chases after it, dangerously speeding the truck, which maneuvers around a refrigerator and causes them to pop a tire and spin out. Al, who's getting sicker by the second, reveals to June that all her medicine is in the truck. June tracks the SWAT truck and the thief whom she threatens at gunpoint to leave. June radios Al to ask where the medicine is but learns there is no medicine and she just wanted her to get the van back. Al confesses the tapes in her van are all she has left of the people she used to know and love.
Morgan eventually reaches June on the walkie and her and Al meet him at a mile marker. June radios the thief, Quinn, to tell him that he can come with them, but he is killed by Martha's Walker who she lets go and replaces with the reanimated thief.
John and Strand end up stranded on small island. John makes a raft in order to get to land and find Naomi and Charlie. Strand is disinterested believing that it is doomed to failure. A gator prevents them from swimming across and presents a hazard on the raft. Using a battery from a pickup truck they use the Walkers ad bait to keep the gator at bay. They get midway but the radio horn cuts out. Their boat gets attacked by the gator and quickly fills with water. Strand fires his gun to distract the walkers while they swim back to the island.
Meanwhile, Luciana searches for Charlie in a library but instead finds an old man named Clayton trapped in a car crash. After trying and failing to free him, he simply asks for a last request, one last beer. On the road, Luciana searches for beer everywhere but doesn't find anything. Suddenly, Luciana discovers the box Morgan had left on the road, with a beer left inside. Luciana returns to Clayton with the beer and he happily tells her he’s glad she didn't give up. She asks what job he used to have and he tells her he drove trucks, before passing away in the car. She finds Morgan who has become aware of Martha's psychotic intents. As the look for the others, Martha chases them in Al's SWAT truck and opens fires the machine.
As the smoke clears, Morgan's group escape the truck before it explodes. Wendell shoots Martha in the chest and Morgan puts down Quinn before June can get bitten, Martha escapes in the SWAT truck. The group make their way to a hospital where they find a set of walkies in a hospital room. Despite Jim blaming Morgan for the state they're in, he kills a Walker. Morgan suggests they head up the stairs while Al looks for a generator to turn on the elevator. The rest of the group make it to the roof where June discovers that he had been bitten on the back.
Meanwhile, Alicia and Charlie continue to make their way to Galveston where the girl bicker over whether or not to save Morgan. Alicia explains that she wants to take Charlie to the beach because she needs something good to happen. They hear water nearby and see something across the lake.
Alicia and Charlie head to the city to find a boat to rescue John and Strand but encounter Martha. After a brief standoff, Martha passes out from her wounds. They tied her up in the SWAT truck which they use to rescued the stranded duo.
At the hospital, Jim remains on the roof while the others locate Al. Instead, they find Al's note telling them she's going to try to escape, along with instructions on protecting her tapes if she dies. Morgan leaves to find her while the rest stay behind. From the roof, Morgan tosses a walker off the ledge an onto a car, attracting the walkers away from the hospital entrance. Though Morgan implores them to leave, the group rally to get Morgan off the roof using a firetruck. Martha escapes during the effort. As Walkers close in, Jim tells Sarah his beer recipe before jumping of the roof to distract the Walkers. Later that night, Martha takes Jim's now reanimated corpse.
The group pickup an unconscious Al in the city where she discovers a tape from Martha to Morgan. In the video, Martha tells Morgan that she's disappointed in him and vows to make him strong. Morgan decides to help her despite John telling him that she's a lost cause. He meets her at a mile marker where she started her vendetta and drags her to a car before killing Jim's corpse. June, at the truck stop with the group, tells him on radio that everyone is sick and Martha causes the car to crash. She reveals her walker bite from Jim saying he must either kill her or she will kill him. She snidely reveals that she poured antifreeze in the water. Morgan suddenly loses it and starts choking her in anger before stopping himself. He handcuffs Martha to the car and hobbles away.
At the truck stop, the group slowly succumbs to the poison until Morgan gets into radio contact with them and June tells them alcohol will dilute the effect of the antifreeze. Morgan arrives with Jim's beer in a truck and the group is cured. The next day, Morgan puts a reanimated Martha down and after reading Clayton's journal, Morgan decides they're going to continue helping people where they are at.
- Kim Dickens as Madison Clark (7/16)
- Frank Dillane as Nicholas Clark (8/16)
- Alycia Debnam-Carey as Alicia Clark (14/16)
- Maggie Grace as Althea Szewczyk-Przygocki (12/16)
- Colman Domingo as Victor Strand (13/16)
- Danay García as Luciana Galvez (13/16)
- Garret Dillahunt as John Dorie (14/16)
- Jenna Elfman as June (12/16)
- Lennie James as Morgan Jones (15/16)
- Kevin Zegers as Melvin (6/16)
- Sebastian Sozzi as Cole (5/16)
- Evan Gamble as Ennis (5/16)
- Rhoda Griffis as Vivian (4/16)
- Alexa Nisenson as Charlie (12/16)
- Tonya Pinkins as Martha (6/16)
- Aaron Stanford as Jim Brauer (6/16)
- Daryl Mitchell as Wendell (6/16)
- Mo Collins as Sarah Rabinowitz (6/16)
- Jackson Beals as Bill (1/16)
- Matthew James as Hardy (1/16)
- Rob Mello as Thin Survivor (1/16)
- Kenneth Wayne Bradley as Douglas (4/16)
- Jason Liebrecht as Edgar (2/16)
- Tammie Baird as Ingrid (1/16)
- Tommy G. Kendrick as Slim (1/16)
- Nasir Villanueva as Ryan (1/16)
- Soleil Patterson as Molly (1/16)
- Charles Harrelson as Quinn (3/16)
- Rachel Mary Dudley as Stevie (1/16)
- John Eric Bentley as Hank (1/16)
- Brian Duffy as Proctor Nineteen (Archive Footage, Corpse)
- Anthony Box as Purvis
- Unknown as Ellen
- Heidi Pascoe as Walker
- Isaiah Cox as Walker
- Christina Sky as Walker
- Marque Hernandez as Walker
- Luis John Soria as Dell Diamond Resident
- Don Daro as Vulture
- Michelle Masker as Vulture
- Craig Alan Ries as Vulture
- Dameon Pedroza as Vulture
- Jason Bischoff as Vulture
- Grace Gilliam as Vulture
- Chris Silcox as Truck Walker
- Joseph Marshall as Walker
- Liz Vera as Walker
- Bill (Off-Screen)
- Hardy (Off-Screen)
- Thin Survivor (Alive and Zombified)
- Ennis (Alive and Zombified)
- Nicholas Clark
- Rose (Alive, Confirmed Fate)
- Ellen (Alive, Confirmed Fate; Zombified, Flashback)
- Clementine (Alive, Confirmed Fate)
- June's Husband (Confirmed Fate)
- Ingrid (Off-Screen)
- Edgar (Alive and Zombified)
- Slim's Wife (Confirmed Fate)
- Twisted Round (Confirmed Fate)
- Douglas (Flashback, Confirmed Fate)
- Vivian (Flashback, Confirmed Fate)
- Cole (Flashback, Confirmed Fate)
- Madison Clark (Flashback, Confirmed Fate)
- Lumber Yard Survivor (Alive, Confirmed Fate; Zombified)
- Benelli (Confirmed Fate)
- Purvis (Alive, Flashback; Zombified)
- Quinn (Alive and Zombified)
- Hank (Alive and Zombified, Flashback)
- Stevie (Alive, Flashback)
- Jim Brauer (Alive and Zombified)
- Martha (Alive and Zombified)
- At least 2 unnamed members of Leland's Group
- 1 unnamed robber (Confirmed Fate)
- Many unnamed FEMA camp survivors (Alive, Confirmed Fate)
- At least 18 unnamed Vultures
- At least 38 unnamed Dell Diamond residents (Confirmed Fate)
- 1 horse
- 4 unnamed family members (Alive, Confirmed Fate; Zombified)
- Charlie's parents (Alive, Confirmed Fate)
- 3 unnamed truck drivers (Alive, Flashback)
- 1 dog
- The season premiere of Fear The Walking Dead is featured on the same night as the Season 8 finale of The Walking Dead.
- This is the first episode of the entire series that is played in Select Movie Theaters, as a part of Fathom Events.
- This marks the first time a new episode of Fear The Walking Dead and The Walking Dead have been aired on the same night.
- This season marks the first season of the show with Andrew Chambliss and Ian Goldberg as showrunners since replacing Dave Erickson.
- Below are the changes made to the main cast in this season:
- Lennie James (Morgan Jones), Maggie Grace (Althea), Garret Dillahunt (John Dorie) and Jenna Elfman (June) are cast as series regulars for their first appearance this season.
- As of "People Like Us", Kim Dickens (Madison Clark) and Frank Dillane (Nick Clark) have been removed from the opening credits.
- Lennie James is billed first in the credits.
- This season takes place about two years after the events of "Sleigh Ride".
- This marks the biggest time jump in the Companion Series continuity so far.
- The production site is at Austin, Texas.
- The Dell Diamond Baseball Stadium is the key location in the first half of the season.
- A character from The Walking Dead is confirmed to crossover to this season of Fear The Walking Dead.
- It has been confirmed on Twitter that Colman Domingo, who plays Victor Strand, directed the twelfth episode of this season.
- The season premiere featured cameos of three of the main characters from The Walking Dead: Rick Grimes, Carol Peletier, and Paul Rovia.