- "I'm sorry. It's just... the watch dogs... I guess they found a puppy. (...) Yeah. I guess it just... it just got to me, ya know. It was so little. You don't think about babies any more, but... after a while you just kinda accept... this is it. But then... you know... there it is. You see it and you want to protect it. ...And now it's gone."
- —Shel to Becca. (Determinant)[src]
Shel is one of the six protagonists of the Telltale Games' The Walking Dead: 400 Days and determinately a returning character in Season Two. She has her own personal story. Shel is introduced as the older sister of Becca.
Nothing is known about Shel's life before or as the outbreak began, other than she has a younger sister named Becca and that during one of Becca's birthdays, Shel face-planted her face into the cake.
Shel, her little sister, Becca, and Annie can be seen running away from walkers outside the prison bus Vince is in. They were seen with another girl (possibly their friend) who was then devoured by a zombie.
When an unknown intruder who can't speak English breaks into the camp and steals food, Roman and Boyd argue whether the intruder should be executed. When the group can't decide, Roman makes Shel decide the fate of the intruder. Stephanie and Boyd vote to let the intruder live while Roman, Clive, and Joyce believe the intruder should die.
Depending on the choices the player makes, Shel can choose to either let the intruder go, in which causes the attack of Gil's Pitstop and Boyd's death, or kill him on the spot.
After the decision the player makes, Shel is filled with regret and/or guilt for what happened 23 days ago as it has now affected the group.
Roman meets with Shel and reveals Stephanie was caught trying to escape with some of their supplies. As punishment, Stephanie is locked in a truck with Roman insisting she must be killed, as an escaped member of the group cannot be trusted to keep their location a secret.
Depending on the player's choices - if Shel agreed to keep the intruder alive, Roman states her decision was wrong and it cost Boyd's life, so now she has to pay for it. If Shel decided to let Roman kill the intruder, Roman reminds Shel of the agreement that was made.
Shel explains the situation to Becca about Stephanie, and she is upset, but angry at her. Shel then opens a drawer as she sees a gun and keys to the RV, causing the two sisters to briefly argue. The player then decides whether to take off in the RV with Becca, or go through with the execution.
Shel accepts Tavia's offer (Unknown): If Shel accepts Tavia's offer, she appears in Season 2 along with her sister, Becca.
Shel stays at the camp (Unknown): If Shel stays at the camp, she will not appear, leaving her status unknown.
Shel will only appear in this episode if she goes with Tavia. She appears as Clementine is going with Bonnie to do her first chores and is then encountered as Becca asks who the girl is. Shel defends Clementine saying she's had a rough day and is new. It is unknown what happened to Shel and Becca during the walkers attack on Howe's Hardware.
Depending on the choices the player makes in "Day 259" will determine Shel's choice in either going with Tavia or stay in the group's campsite
Left in the RV
If the player chooses to leave the gas station in the RV, then Shel will join Tavia, with Becca joining her out of fear of Roman.
If the player chooses to kill Stephanie, then Shel will agree with Tavia's offer if Tavia brings up the existence of other children at the settlement. If this is not mentioned, Shel and Becca choose to stay at the campsite.
This list shows the victims Shel has killed:
- Roberto (Caused, Determinant)
- Boyd (Indirectly Caused, Determinant)
- Stephanie (Determinant, Off-Screen)
- Possibly numerous counts of zombies
- "In Harm's Way" (Determinant)
- Shel, along with Bonnie, Vince, Wyatt, and Russell, were introduced via Vines from the Telltale Games official Twitter account in early June 2013.
- Shel and Becca both make a cameo appearance in Vince's Story, seen running away from pursuing walkers outside the prison bus. This chronologically makes Shel the only protagonist of "400 Days" to appear in a story before being introduced in her own.
- Shel makes the most appearances out of the five playable characters in "400 Days", appearing in Vince's Story, her own story and the Epilogue
- Shel's story is the most unique one in the game thus far, by representing numerous "onlys" for "400 Days":
- The only story where no walkers are killed.
- The only story to start in a stable refuge.
- The only story where all deaths are determinant.
- The only story with living characters that had first appeared in Season 1.
- The only story where events of Season 1 are mentioned.
- The only story where you can freely move in 8 directions the whole time when not engaged in dialogue.
- Shel's story has no death scenes; it can never result in a game-over, thus making her and Tavia the only playable protagonists with no non-canon deaths.
- They are also the only protagonists who did not get the chance to kill any walkers in their respective stories.
- While Shel decides to kill Stephanie or leave in the RV, she reveals that Becca and her survived on their own for a while.
- Shel is the sixth character Cissy Jones has voiced, the others being Katjaa, Jolene, Linda, Brie, Dee, Norma, and Vanessa.
- Unused animations show that Shel is holding a AK47 in "In Harm's Way".
- Suggesting that she was originally a guard for Howe's but then it was scrapped for unknown reasons.