|This article is about TV Series character. You may be looking for her Comic Series, Road to Survival, or Our World counterparts, or the Fear episode.|
- "I was a zookeeper. Shiva, she fell into one of the concrete moats in her exhibit. It was empty, the vets were on their way, but her leg was ripped open. She was gonna bleed out. The sound she made; she was in so much pain. I knew the risk. I had to try. And I got my shirt up around her leg, saved her life. After that, she never showed so much as a tooth in my direction. Keeping a tiger isn't practical, I know. She eats as much as ten people. She could yank the chain out of my hand. Hell, she could yank my arm right off. But she hasn't. She won't."
- —Ezekiel on saving Shiva.[src]
Shiva is an animal character in AMC's The Walking Dead. She resides in the Kingdom with her owner, Ezekiel. Shiva protects Ezekiel at any cost, as seen numerous of times. The reason for this is because Ezekiel saved her when she was badly injured in her enclosure, Ezekiel decided to save her and then they survived together through the apocalypse.
- 1 Pre-Apocalypse
- 2 Post-Apocalypse
- 3 Death
- 4 Killed Victims
- 5 Relationships
- 6 Appearances
- 7 Trivia
- 8 References
Shiva was an exhibit in a zoo where Ezekiel worked as a keeper. Shiva once fell in a concrete moat in her enclosure and badly injured her leg. With no veterinarians around, Ezekiel came to her rescue, wrapping his shirt around her open wound and stopping a hemorrhage. Grateful, Shiva never showed any signs of hostility towards Ezekiel afterwards.
Shiva is shown with Ezekiel as he sits on a throne in a theater auditorium chained at his side. She growls at Carol, but Ezekiel manages to calm her down, as she is not a threat. Shiva proceeds to sit down while Ezekiel introduces himself to Carol and welcomes her to the Kingdom. Ezekiel and Shiva later visits Carol. He offers her a pomegranate. She smiles.
Shiva is lounging around with Ezekiel as he observes the Kingdom from a second-story balcony. Nabila approaches him and is cautious due to Shiva being near him and keeps her distance.
When Ezekiel takes a regiment to aid Alexandria, Shiva joins them. As Negan Smith is about to kill Carl Grimes, Shiva appears and attacks a Scavenger standing near Carl, killing him and saving Carl's life. During the battle, Shiva kills a Savior, causing Negan to complain about her as he, the surviving Saviors and the Scavengers are forced to retreat.
As the Militia chases a Savior through the woods, Shiva appears and kills him. However, they discover that it is too late as the Saviors already know that they are coming.
Shiva is seen with Ezekiel after he and the Kingdommers killed the Saviors.
Prior to leaving the Kingdom with the others to assault the Sanctuary, Shiva is seen next to Ezekiel as he addresses the people.
After the attack, there is no sign of Shiva and Alvaro hasn't seen her since before the Kingdomers were slaughtered. Later, Ezekiel, having slowed the group due to his injured leg and inability to walk, tells the group to leave him, as they are surrounded with no way out. Suddenly, Shiva shows up and grabs a walker, killing it and throwing it into a barrel. The walkers then change focus to her instead of the group. Ezekiel cries out to her in horror, telling her to run, but it was too late, as she is brought down and devoured by the walkers. However, her sacrifice enables Ezekiel, Carol and Jerry to escape.
- Killed By
As Ezekiel, Carol and Jerry are escaping, they are slow to escape due to carrying Ezekiel, as he is injured. Shiva appears just in time to help them, taking down at least 3 walkers before she is overrun and devoured.
This list shows the victims Shiva has killed:
- Herself (Sacrifice)
- 1 unnamed marauder
- 1 unnamed Scavenger
- 1 unnamed Savior
- Numerous counts of zombies and possibly unnamed people
Ezekiel was Shiva's owner. He saved her from bleeding to death, after she fell into her moat. She never shown aggression towards him and showed trust. She ended up sacrificing herself so that he, Carol and Jerry could escape from a herd of walkers. Ezekiel was horrified watching this, and had to be restrained, as he would have ended up dying along with her. While depressed afterwards, he can often be seen holding onto her leash in the Kingdom auditorium.
Given that Jerry isn't afraid of Shiva, and Shiva likewise doesn't view him as food or a threat, it's likely they have a friendly bond. When Shiva was killed, he was greatly saddened and terrified.
Carol first met Shiva in "The Well", and was shocked to see a live tiger. She later watched in horror as Shiva sacrificed herself.
Daryl and Shiva are seen together in "New Best Friends" as Daryl sits next to her cage. Shiva seems to like Daryl, not viewing him as dangerous and allows him to pet her.
- "The Well"
- "Rock in the Road"
- "New Best Friends"
- "Bury Me Here"
- "The First Day of the Rest of Your Life"
- Shiva is The Walking Dead's first character that is not portrayed by a live actor. However, her actions are created by visual CGI effects embedded on a stuntman in a blue suit.
- Shiva is both the first animal to kill living survivors and walkers on-screen.
- In the episode "Chokepoint", the Kingdom is shown to have a banner and stuffed tiger on display in memorial to Shiva.
- Shiva is the first animal character in the series to appear in more than one season.