|This article is about the TV Series character. You may be looking for her Comic Series, Novel Series, Assault, Social Game, Road to Survival counterparts. For other pages with the same name, see: Sophia|
Sophia Peletier is a survivor of the outbreak in AMC's The Walking Dead. She is the daughter of Ed and Carol Peletier. During the initial outbreak, Carol, Ed, and Sophia evacuated to Atlanta for safety, but ended up joining a camp of survivors. While at the camp, Sophia sparked up a friendship with Carl Grimes and Eliza Morales.
Sophia Peletier was a shy, quiet and smart young girl. Although her personality was not well shown, it is assumed she was very nice, as stated by Carol in "The Grove", who said that "[Sophia] didn't have a mean bone in her body". It can also be said that she was good at making friends, as she was close to Eliza Morales and Carl Grimes, who seemed to care about her deeply.
Southern United States
Sophia was born in 1998 and grew up under the loving care of her mother and the verbal and physical abuse of her father, who consistently neglected her. When she was an infant, Sophia used to wake up at 3:00 a.m. every morning and cry, causing her father to become irritated and stay with a friend until she calmed down.
Throughout her childhood, Sophia and Carol were victims of verbal and physical abuse from Ed. At some point, Sophia was taken by Carol to a shelter in Atlanta in an attempt to get away from Ed, but after a day and a half, they went back to him. After they went back, Ed beat them both very badly.
During the onset of the outbreak, Sophia and her family traveled towards a supposedly safe-zone in Atlanta. On the way, they got caught in a traffic jam and befriended Shane, Lori, and Carl. Sometime after the city was napalmed by the military, they formed a campsite outside the outskirts of Atlanta, along with other survivors.
Sophia is first seen around the survivors' camp living with her father, Ed, and mother, Carol. She stands beside her mother as they watch everyone, except Merle, return from Atlanta safely and reunite with their families. She is then seen playing with Carl, when the pair find a zombie eating a deer. They scream, running back into camp, prompting the men to investigate and kill the zombie.
Following Jim's strange behavior, the group go to investigate what he is doing, Sophia among them. Lori tells Jim that he's scaring Carl and Sophia. While Jim is tied to a tree (in an attempt to calm him down), Sophia and Carl are being tutored by their mothers. Sophia leaves with Carol and Carl to clean fish with Shane. Later, after Ed is beat up by Shane when he witnesses him beating Carol, her and Sophia give him some water in the family tent. Ed tells Carol to leave Sophia with him, but Carol refuses to leave her alone with Ed, despite his insisting manner. Later, when a few dozen walkers attack the camp, Sophia hides in her mother's arms, crying. She is not upset at all that her father was one of the victims.
Just after the zombie attack, Sophia is seen resting with the other survivors. She attends the funeral for the fallen campers. After being deemed unsafe, the group decide to leave the camp. Upon leaving, says goodbye to Eliza Morales, who then gives Sophia her doll as a gift.
The group decide to travel to the CDC. Upon arriving, they supposedly find it abandoned. However, after further investigation, Rick discovers that somebody is indeed still inside. He begs this unknown person to open the door. Just before the group leave, the door opens, shocking everyone.
Sophia and the others enter the CDC with relief and awe on their faces. After been shown around the CDC and assigned their rooms, she and her mother, along with the rest of the group, settle down. She is later seen eating and playing checkers in the recreation room with Carl before going to bed. Towards the end of the episode, Sophia is seen crying with her mother after Dr. Edwin Jenner informed them of the building's imminent self-destruction. Carol says she does not want her daughter to die like this, prompting Jenner to let the group free. Sophia flees with the others to escape, but the glass won't budge, trapping them inside. Sophia shrilly squealed, "The glass won't break?!" Rick then uses a grenade to break though the glass. Afterwards, she procedes to enter the RV and watches as the CDC explodes. After recovering from the shock, the group then head in the direction of Fort Benning.
After the RV breaks down, Sophia is seen gathering supplies from abandoned vehicles on the Vehicle Jammed Highway, along with her mother Carol. After noticing a herd coming their way, Rick urges the group to hide under the cars on the highway. Sophia looks at her mother, terrified, as the herd passes through. When she thinks the herd has passed, Sophia attempts to get up, but is given the unwanted attention of two walkers who were still passing through. Terrified, Sophia exits the highway and runs into the nearby woods, the walkers on her tail. She is soon found by Rick, who urges her to stay by a creek while he distracts and kills the zombies. She nods, saying that she will, however when Rick and the rest of the group return, she is nowhere to be found.
Following her disappearance, the group are very concerned and determined to find Sophia. They send out multiple search parties into the woods to find her, to no avail. After Carl is shot, the group are forced to leave the highway and go to Hershel's farm. They leave a message on a car in case Sophia returns to the highway, saying "Sophia, stay here, we will come back every day"
Sophia appears in a flashback at the beginning of the episode, where she was seen playing checkers with Carl on a highway at the beginning of the outbreak, when the Peletier and the Grimes family first meet.
After learning that walkers are being kept in the barn on Hershel's farm, Shane breaks open the door of barn, where dozens of walkers spill out of. Shane and the group take out the walkers. As the last walker emerges, stumbling out of the barn, the group are stunned and shocked to see that the walker is Sophia. Carol, beyond devastated, tries to run to Sophia, however Daryl stops her. The group look on in shock and sadness as Sophia slowly approaches them. Rick takes lead from Shane, walks up, and shoots a reanimated Sophia in the head, ending her suffering.
In a hallucination, Rick walks through a floor full of the corpses of his friends and loved ones, among them Sophia.
- Killed By
- Zombies (Alive, Off-Screen)
While Sophia is trying to find her way back to the group, she is attacked and bitten on the left shoulder by a walker and either dies of the infection or blood loss. Eventually, a zombified Sophia is found by Otis and is put into Hershel's barn.
- Rick Grimes (Zombified)
After Shane opens the barn and all the walkers are gunned down by the group, a zombified Sophia slowly walks out and is shot in the head by Rick.
|✔||Appears||✔||Voice is heard|
|👁||Appears with no lines||✔||Appears in a flashback|
|✔||Appears as a walker||🖼||Appears in a photograph/video|
|✔||Appears as a corpse||✔||Appears in a hallucination/dream|
- On Talking Dead, Robert Kirkman reveals that it was Otis who had placed Sophia in the barn and that she was already a walker when he found her. Since Rick nor Shane never mentioned that they were in the woods looking for a girl, and saving Carl became the main focus, Otis left for the high school and never returns before this discussion has a chance to take place.
- He also mentioned that the scene where Otis placed the zombified Sophia into the barn was actually shot, but never made it to the final cut.
- This means that Sophia was already dead by the end of "What Lies Ahead" since Otis left for the high school shortly after meeting the group in "Bloodletting." Thus Sophia presumably died on the day or night of her disappearance.
- Also during Talking Dead, show creators reveal that they shot the barn scene twice. Once with Sophia looking normal, the way the survivors wanted to see her, and the zombified version, which is the version that was aired in "Pretty Much Dead Already".
- Sophia was bitten on the shoulder, which is what made her turn. Just before leaving her to kill the walkers chasing them, Rick makes a comment about keeping the sun over her "left shoulder" if she runs back to the group. When she is found as a walker, it can be seen that the walker that attacked her had bitten her on the left shoulder. It is unknown if this was done on purpose by the writers or was just a coincidence. This would mean that if Sophia understood Rick's instructions, she could have been bitten when she was on her way back to the highway.
- However, when her tracks disappeared, Daryl stated that only Sophia's tracks were around. Rick specifically asked if there was signs of walker tracks when Sophia changed from following his directions.
- In The Walking Dead Social Game: Chronicles, there is a mission in Chapter 3 where the hero player and Kara check out the highway for Sophia after hearing Rick's group calling her name while in the woods.
- In "The Grove", the puzzle on the table during Carol and Tyreese's conversation was a picture of Sophia with her rainbow T-shirt, as revealed by Melissa McBride on the following Talking Dead episode.
- Unlike her comic book counterpart, she had never started a relationship with Carl Grimes.
- In "Look at the Flowers", Sophia is mentioned by Alpha during Carol's hallucinations.
- Sophia is one of the twelve TV Series characters whose comic counterpart lacks a known last name. The others being Shane Walsh, Glenn Rhee, Carol Peletier, Tyreese Williams, Eric Raleigh, Negan Smith, Lucille Smith, Yumiko Okumura, Max Mercer, and Ezekiel Sutton.
|Language||Dubber||Other Characters Voiced|
|Czech||Klára Nováková||Meghan Chambler|
|French||Lucille Boudonnat||Beth Greene|
|Spanish (Latin America)||Luciana Falcón||Michonne Hawthorne (3-9A)|
|Spanish (Spain)||Cristina Yuste||Lizzie|