Three months after the start of the outbreak, Lee Everett continues to survive in a world not kind to survivors. Now, with a group to take care of and food at a premium, will he find the means to keep them safe and fed?
"Starved For Help" begins three months after the conclusion of the first episode. The situation has gotten even more dire for the group of survivors. The food is gone. The electricity is gone. The tensions in the group are rising, and there is no end in sight.
The episode opens with Lee and a man named Mark out in the woods attempting to hunt for some food. Along the way, they hear someone screaming and run to investigate, believing it to be Kenny. They find a group of three people in desperate need of help; David Parker, who is caught in a bear trap; and two teenagers struggling to get him out. Kenny arrives, and everyone frantically tries to decide what to do next. Soon enough, the walkers hear the screams and, and the group is faced with the problem of how to free David. After checking the bear trap itself and finding out that it is been tampered with to not have a release latch, Lee takes the axe he has with him and tries to make a quick decision. Lee may try to hack at the chain connecting the bear trap to a nearby tree, pry open the trap with a branch or the axe or with his bare hands, chopping at the tree, and smashing the chain with a rock, though none of those tactics are successful.
Take too long or refuse to free David: If Lee is unable to free David from the trap, Kenny and Mark will stop him from any further rescue attempts and tell him and the teenagers to leave. As they try to make their escape, one of the teens that was originally with David, Travis, tries to go for one of the hunting rifles Mark is holding. In the ensuing scuffle, Travis takes a shot to the stomach. The group carries Travis back to their camp and are forced to leave David for the walkers.
Chop David free: Alternatively, Lee can choose to chop David's leg off. He passes out from the pain and blood loss, so Mark carries him with back to the motel on his shoulders. Travis is utterly revolted by the sight of David's detached leg, and is too sickened to notice a walker sneaking up behind him. Lee prevents Ben Paul from going back for his friend, leaving Travis to be eaten alive, much to Ben's horror.
This next part is non-determinant and happens regardless of the player's decisions:
Once the group returns to the motor inn, Larry and his daughter are upset to see that Lee has brought back even more mouths to feed. Lilly, who seems to have become the de-facto leader of the group, has already been pushed to her limits trying to ration out what little food remains and snaps at Lee for bringing back the two survivors. Kenny and Lilly argue, and Kenny states the group is not Lilly's personal dictatorship. If Lee sides with Kenny, he supports him for his choice. Supporting Lilly results in Kenny scolding Lee for choosing her over him, while staying neutral makes Kenny chastise him for sitting on the fence. Lilly gives Lee the day's rations, politely requesting or outright demanding him depending on who he sided with, and leaves it up to him to decide who to give them to.
Lee has been given four pieces of food (two packets of cheese and crackers, a piece of beef jerky and half an apple) to distribute out to ten people. At this point it is up to Lee to decide if he wants to continue building relationships with characters that are already friendly to him or to mend bridges with hostile characters. After Lee has distributed three of the pieces of food, there is yet another decision to make. Does Lee keep one for himself to stay strong at the risk of appearing selfish to the group, or does he take a personal risk and give it to someone else?
Lee talks to many members of the group, giving his axe to either Larry or Mark to help build the wall and fortify their position at the Traveler Motel. After, Lee helps Katjaa with the wounded, and asks Clementine about her hat which she had lost; later on agreeing to help find her hat. Once done, Lee will either be supported by those he helped, shouted at by those he didn't or glared at by all except Ben (who understands why Lee didn't feed him) and Clementine, who just wishes she could hopefully eat next time.
After deciding where all the food is going to end up, Lee focuses on the injured Travis/David, who is being tended to by Kenny’s wife, Katjaa. She tells Lee that she has done all she can but he has passed away. Just as Lee begins to say that it is a shame but at least there is one less person to worry about, Travis/David reanimates and tries to attack Katjaa. Lee saves Katjaa and then struggles with the zombie himself for a bit. After a short struggle, Larry, Mark, or Carley dispatches the newly reanimated zombie.
The group turns to Ben Paul, the other surviving teenager, and asks him why he did not let anyone know that his friend had been bitten. Ben insists that he was not bitten and realizes that the new group does not know the truth behind how humans are turned into walkers, everyone is already infected; a bite isn't required to turn.
Shortly after this realization, two other survivors, brothers Andrew and Danny St. John, arrive looking for gasoline. They tell the group that they own a dairy farm, and are willing to trade food for gas to keep their generators running. Mark, Doug/Carley, Ben, and Lee decide to bring some gas with them to check out the farm. If Lee disagrees, the group will hold a vote instead, which results in a unanimous 7 to 1 defeat for Lee. The four members along with Lee travel with the brothers to the dairy.
Along the way the motel group and the St. John brothers see and hide from a couple of bandits. The bandits argue and yell at one another over food, till one pulls out his weapon and shoots, killing the other bandit. The bandit still standing walks away from the corpse, and the group comes out of hiding and keeps moving to the farm.
At the dairy farm the group meets Andrew and Danny's mother, Brenda St. John. She welcomes the group and gives them a basket of biscuits. When hearing Brenda say the St. John's last cow isn't doing too well, Mark says that they have a veterinarian within the group, and that everyone is extremely hungry. Brenda says they should bring the whole group over to the farm and have a big dinner. The group agrees and sends Doug/Carley and Ben to get the others, with the basket of food.
Andrew asks for Mark and Lee to clear the electric fence, that surrounds the farm, of walkers, who have fused in with the fence, while he fills the generators that power the fence with fuel. Mark and Lee walk along the fence pushing, and in some cases, chopping, the dead off of the electrical wire. They then stumble along a couple of posts that are knocked down. Mark and Lee hop over the fence, and set the posts back up. At that moment, the fence turns on, leaving the two survivors outside of the farm. Several seconds later, Mark is struck in the shoulder by an arrow.
Bandits, who claim to have been cheated of food, open fire with their crossbows, while Mark and Lee hide behind a tractor. Lee gets it to move and the two use it as mobile cover, until they reach the gate. They run for the farmhouse, and the bandits back off. Lee talks to Andrew about the bandits while Brenda takes Mark inside to patch him up. The motel group arrives and sees the mess, and Lilly believes the farm is unsafe. Andrew states that the bandits and St. John's had a deal, and that as long as they provided food, the bandits would leave the farm alone. He says that the bandits have broken the truce, and that Lee and Danny should try and find where the bandits are sleeping.
Lee and Danny make their way into the woods, and after a short while, find a small camp. Danny checks the only tent while Lee checks the supplies. Lee finds all the boxes empty, and tells Danny some are from the farm. Danny says the bandits probably stole them. A few moments later Lee finds a video recorder, which Danny tells Lee to let him see it. Lee states that the batteries are dead and not to worry about it. Lee then checks the tent, in which he finds two sleeping bags, one kid sized, inside the tent. He then finds Clementine's hat, after which a woman, by the name of Jolene, sneaks into the bandit's camp. She tells the two men to drop their weapons, or she will shoot.
Jolene then dies regardless whether Lee chooses to kill her or not. Killing her does strengthen his relationship with Danny, however. Once arriving back at the dairy, Danny tells Brenda that nothing happened. Kenny and Lilly begin to fight about something, unknown to Lee. Lee then talks to Lilly and she exclaims that Kenny was suspicious of a room in the barn. Lilly thinks that they should just take their dinner and then leave. Lee then enters the barn door to find Katjaa, Duck, Andrew, and Clementine around the farm's cow. Lee gives Clementine her hat back, asking her if anybody suspicious was around the motor inn. Clementine then denies this and says that Lee would make a good dad someday, thanking him for bringing her hat back to her. Upon inspection of the locked door in the barn, Kenny arrives and says that he thinks something is up on the other side of the door. Lee and Kenny both agree to find out a way to open the barn door, noticing that a screwdriver is needed to detach the lock mechanism.
Andrew notices this and exclaims to the two to not mess around with the door. Thinking that he needs to be distracted, Lee picks up a multi-tool from a toolbox and shuts off the generator. Andrew comes out of the barn, not knowing what happened, and tries to fix it. Upon arriving inside the barn with the multi-tool, the dinner bell rings. Everybody rushes to the farmhouse. Kenny exclaims that he will make an excuse for him if he can see what the other side of the barn door holds, at this point the player can choose to either open the door or just leave for dinner.
If the barn door is pried, Lee is shocked. The entire room is filled with blood and torture devices. Andrew sneaks up on Lee and exclaims that the devices were used to skin animals. Hungry, Lee refuses to argue and the two head to the house for dinner. Upon arriving inside the house, Andrew exclaims that a lone walker got into the house awhile ago and that the hallway is barricaded from that incident. With everybody at the dinner table waiting, Lee asks where the bathroom is. Brenda exclaims that it is down the hall.
Lee goes upstairs and finds many unusual items, such as a bottle of morphine and blood stains on the floor. He turns on a power switch, which lights up a room connected to the bedroom. The room is blocked by a set of bookshelves. He moves it and opens the door. To his shock, he finds Mark with his legs cut off in a pool of blood. Lee asks Mark what happened and Mark weakly replies that the brothers skinned his legs and that is what they are having for dinner. Lee rushes down into the dinner room, and sees everybody about to eat. Depending on the players choice, Lee can prevent Clementine from eating the human meat. Lee exclaims that the farm is a human slaughterhouse and that Mark is upstairs, legless. Not denying it, Brenda claims that while growing up in rural Georgia, they were taught to not waste a thing. Danny exclaims that Mark would have died anyway. Lee tells Clementine to run, Kenny to grab his gun, or Lilly to grab a knife, but Andrew and Danny pull their weapons out and Andrew grabs Clementine by the hair. At this moment, Mark falls down the stairs and crawls all the way to the dinner table. Danny then butt-stroke Lee in the head, causing him to black out.
Lee awakens inside of a meat locker, with everyone except Duck and Katjaa. He asks Larry, who is pounding on the locked door, to calm down. Larry threatens to tell everyone who Lee really is, so Lee backs down. While trying to find a way out of the room, Larry seems to have a heart attack over all the stress the situation has brought.
Lilly runs over and tries to revive her father, while Kenny believes that Larry is already dead, and in a moment, may return as walker. At this point Lee must choose to either help bring Larry back to life, or to help kill him for the group's safety.
Help Lilly: Lee crosses over to Larry and begins to give him CPR, telling Lilly to check for a pulse. Kenny bellows that Lee is making the wrong choice and proceeds to drop a salt lick on Larry's head. Lilly cries over her father while Lee argues with Kenny. Kenny admits his disappointment, believing he could have counted on Lee.
Do nothing: If Lee does nothing, Kenny will push Lee to the ground calling him useless. The relationship between Kenny and Lee will be the same as if you tried to save Larry. Lilly would not hate you for not choosing a side.
Help Kenny: Lee agrees with Kenny and proceeds to pry Lilly away from Larry. Clementine cries, admitting she doesn't want to see. Kenny picks up a salt lick and smashes Larry's head in. Kenny and Lee try to console Lilly but she scolds them, declaring her hate of the two.
This next part is non-determinant and happens regardless of the player's choices.
Kenny states that they need to hurry and get out of the room to save Katjaa and Duck. Lee, using coins from Larry's pocket, unscrews the air conditioner in the room, and sends Clementine through the vent. A few moments later she opens the door. Kenny and Lee leave while Clementine stays with Lilly to comfort her in mourning her father. Lee grabs a weapon from the skinning room, and they attempt to sneak up on Danny, who is guarding the barn. Andrew comes over and talks to Danny, so Lee and Kenny hide in a stall. Andrew tells Danny to bring all but one in to butcher and package as meat. Andrew leaves, and Danny pulls out a bear trap that looks similar to the one David was stuck in, and places it in front of the barn door.
When Lee peeks his head out to look, he finds himself staring down the barrel of Danny's rifle. Lee grabs it and moves it to the side, just as Danny shoots. Lee hits Danny once with his weapon of choice, but the man recovers and knocks Lee down. Danny prepares to kill Lee only to suddenly be surprised by Kenny (if you helped kill Larry) or Lilly (if you did nothing or tried to save Larry). Regardless of who it is, they stab the man and knock him back to be caught in his own bear trap, detaining him. Kenny shouts to find out where his family is, but runs when he hears Katjaa scream. Lee grabs a pitchfork, and Danny tells him not to kill him, but keep him alive so they can eat him. Lee can choose to drive the pitchfork into Danny's chest, or into a bale of hay, angrily exclaiming "This is NOT how the world works now!" Clementine bears witness to either action, changing Lee's relationship with her. If the player chooses this choice and helped kill Larry, Lilly will chastise you for killing her dad but not a cannibal.
Kenny runs out to try and find Katjaa and Duck, and Lee runs into Doug/Carley and Ben. Lee tells them the situation and says they should sneak around the back of the house while Lee takes the front. He then enters the house, and finds Brenda holding Katjaa hostage. He asks her questions, why it came to eating other human beings to survive, what would her husband think, and she backs up. Lee keeps walking slowly to her, seeing Mark, now a walker, upstairs, struggling with the railing. Brenda ends up walking back into Mark's outstretched arms, in which he pulls her towards him and takes a bite. Katjaa and Lee run outside to find Kenny, who is yelling at Andrew, who is holding Duck hostage. Kenny makes a move, but is shot in the side of his stomach. Carley shoots Andrew's ear or Doug blinds him with his laser pointer. (Determinant) Stunned, he accidentally lets Duck go.
Lee rushes in and grabs for the gun. They wrestle and end up stumbling down a hill, both dazed by the fall. Andrew recovers first and kicks Lee in the face then activates the electric fence. He starts dragging Lee towards the fence, despite Lee resisting. If Lee tried to help save Larry, Lilly will shoot at Andrew just before Lee gets electrocuted by the electric fence. If Lee decided to help in killing Larry, Lilly will not take the shot at Andrew and Lee will have to struggle to get himself free from Andrew. Either way, Lee is free from Andrew's grip, quickly positioning himself on top of Andrew.
Beat Andrew: Lee begins to savagely beat Andrew repeatedly in the face. After several punches, Andrew's face becomes heavily bruised and disfigured. Lee either stops of his own accord or Carley/Doug convince him to.
Don't beat Andrew: Lee is too slow in his strikes, enabling Andrew to turn the tables and get on top of Lee, beginning his own assault. Lee manages to kick him off in to the fence, which electrocutes Andy to near death.
With Andrew detained, Lee starts walking away from the fight. Andrew, despite the electrocution or harsh beating, forces himself to his feet and starts antagonizing Lee by saying that he "ain't shit", encouraging Lee to finish the fight. Lee must decide the man's fate.
Kill him: If Lee didn't beat him, he picks up Andrew's rifle and shoot him straight in the head, declaring "it's over!", discarding the rifle soon after. If Lee did beat Andy, he kicks Andy instead, in to the electric fence - finishing him off. Lee proceeds back to the group, Clementine cowering from him in fear.
Spare him: Lee ignores Andrew's taunts and returns to the group. Andrew begins to breakdown in tears, now begging Lee to kill him. Clementine looks more neutral.
After the decision to keep Andrew alive or not, the farm gets overrun with walkers. Lee and the group decide to head back to the motor inn. On the way back, everyone is mainly quiet after the onslaught of things that happened back at the farm. Doug/Carley explains to Lee that they should have been there sooner, to which Lee agrees. Kenny wants a word in private with Lee. Based on the decision to help Kenny kill Larry or not, Kenny's relationship with Lee will either grow stronger, and Kenny will want Lee and Clementine to come to the coast with his family, or his relationship with Lee will grow weaker, with Kenny saying that they should stay out of each other's way for a while. Clementine asks Lee if what he did was right back at the dairy, to which Lee assures her.
Duck then hears a noise. Everyone creeps up on the noise, to which they find an abandoned car. The car is full of food and supplies, to everyone's amazement. Clementine, Ben and Lilly agree that the food is not theirs. Lee then agrees with their decision or not, which affects his relationship with Clementine. Katjaa finds a red hoodie in the car that looks to be Clementine's size. Clementine declines to wear it, but based on how Lee chooses previously, she either does not accept the hoodie or is forced to keep it by Lee.
Doug/Carley finds batteries in one of the boxes and gives them to Lee to use with the camcorder. To their shock, the camcorder shows a video of Jolene filming the group's stay in the motor inn, particularly focusing on Clementine, saying that she needs a mother to look after her. It is assumed that this is reason why she took Clementine's hat. Jolene then says that the real danger in this new world is the humans, not the walkers, stating that as long as they get food from the dairy (which is now overrun with zombies) Clementine will be safe. The bandits then find Jolene. She then addresses several of the bandits by name, cursing them and calling them, "rapist monsters", before the camera blacks out, ending the episode.
This list shows some of the choices made by players that were tracked by the game.
- For the complete in-game stats, see Video Game Statistics.
Savior: Did you chop off David's leg?
- Left David to die - 57%
- Chopped off David's leg - 43%
Interrogation: Who shot Jolene?
- Waited until Danny shot her - 60%
- Shot Jolene yourself - 40%
- Tried to revive Larry - 51%
- Helped kill Larry - 49%
Revenge: Killed both brothers?
- Didn't kill both brothers - 61%
- Killed both brothers - 39%
- Spared Danny - 45%
- Killed Danny - 55%
- Spared Andy - 80%
- Killed Andy - 20%
Survival: Did you steal from the car?
- Took the supplies - 51%
- Left the supplies - 49%
Who did you give food to?
- Clementine - 96%
- Duck - 95%
- Mark - 58%
- Larry - 42%
- Kenny - 41%
- Lilly - 29%
- Ben - 19%
- Carley - 15%
- Lee - 11%
- Doug - 3%
- Lee Everett
- Kenny Jr.
- Carley (Determinant)
- Doug (Determinant)
- Ben Paul
- David Parker
- Andrew St. John
- Danny St. John
- Brenda St. John
- Terry St. John (Photograph)
- Four unnamed Save-Lots Bandits
- David Parker (Alive; Zombified, Determinant)
- Travis (Alive; Zombified, Determinant)
- Jenny Pitcher (Alive, Confirmed Fate)
- Mac (Confirmed Fate)
- Mark (Alive)
- Franklin (Confirmed Fate)
- Danny St. John (Determinant)
- Brenda St. John (Alive)
- Andrew St. John (Determinant)
- 1 unnamed Save-Lots bandit
- 1 rabbit
This list shows the narrative consequences effected by choices from the previous episode.
- Depending on if you save Carley or Doug, the dialogues will change with Lee and the others; the relationships too, most notably:
- The argument about bringing the new people (Ben and Travis/Parker).
- How the group notices Andrew and Danny sneaking up on the group; Carley spotting them, Doug using a wired (makeshift) alarm.
- When travelling to St John's farm, Carley will mention her view on Lee being leader while Doug will voice finding a laser pointer during their last trip to the drugstore.
- The final showdown is also altered in how Andy is distracted and how Lee finds them; being either from Doug using his pointer for morse code or Carley sneaking up on a walker and killing it.
- Depending on if you tell Clementine about her parents finding them or not, Clementine will have different lines if Lee talks to her about her walkie-talkie.
- If Carley was saved and Lee goes to talk to her when travelling to St John's farm, depending on if you tell the truth or lie to Clementine in the drugstore, he will mention that.
- If you saved Shawn and sided with Larry back at the drugstore, Kenny will admit (when talking about leaving for the Coast) that he doesn't believe Lee cares about Duck, but if you saved Duck and sided with him; he will be thankful; asking him to leave with him in the RV. If you did the opposite of either, he will be neutral and will mention Glenn leaving the group and whether or not Lee supported Glenn's departure when discussing the possibility of leaving for the coast.
- Kenny will also say a different line in the meat locker based on these choices. If the player has shown loyalty towards Kenny, he will declare Lee always has his back. If the relationship is neutral, Kenny will state that Lee can’t be in the middle and must be on his side. Should the relationship be negative, however, Kenny will state that (although they don't see eye to eye) he needs Lee now.
- The player’s siding between Kenny and Lilly when fighting at the motor-inn will also affect the outcome. Siding with Kenny will result positively whilst siding with Lilly will result negatively. Should the player stay neutral or silent, however, the result will be as if he didn’t side with Kenny, although not as negative as siding with Lilly. The Player’s choice-of-words could particularly have an effect on Kenny’s choice-of-words when asked to search for Clementine in “Around Every Corner”.
- Kenny will also say a different line in the meat locker based on these choices. If the player has shown loyalty towards Kenny, he will declare Lee always has his back. If the relationship is neutral, Kenny will state that Lee can’t be in the middle and must be on his side. Should the relationship be negative, however, Kenny will state that (although they don't see eye to eye) he needs Lee now.
- Depending on what you told Clementine what the barn smelled like back on Hershel's farm, she will repeat what Lee told her when Duck comments on how the St. John barn smells funny, if Duck was talked to in the barn.
- Depending on if you save Shawn or Duck, the dialogues will change with Lee and Katjaa if Lee talks with her at the barn after Lee makes Andy get out of the barn, she's being thankful or angry at Lee.
- Depending on whether or not you gave Irene the gun, part of the deck on the second floor of the motor inn will be destroyed.
- This episode has 8 chapters.
- First appearance of Ben Paul.
- First (and last) appearance of Mark.
- First (and last) appearance of Travis.
- First (and last) appearance of David Parker.
- First (and last) appearance of Andrew St. John. (Unknown or Dead, Determinant)
- First (and last) appearance of Danny St. John. (Unknown or Dead, Determinant)
- First (and last) appearance of Brenda St. John.
- First (and last) appearance of Jolene.
- First (and last) appearance of Maybelle. (Unknown)
- First (and last) appearance of Terry St. John. (Photograph)
- Last appearance of Larry.
- This episode is retitled "Starvation and Help" in German, and "Hungry For Help" in Spanish.
- As of this episode, the group is now aware that everyone is infected.
- This episode takes place on the same day as Issue 7 from the Comic Series.
- Lee beating Andrew to a pulp (Determinant) is similar to Rick Grimes beating Thomas Richards in Issue 17.
- This episode underwent several changes in some characters, such as;
- Travis did not exist originally; he was added much later.
- Ben was a completely different character: he could use a rifle and was more scared than in the final. He also would tell what really happened to his classmates, and had to witness several traumas such as being forced to see rape. This was a major key factor left out due to Episode 3, whereas Ben dealt with the bandits to save a friend.
- This is the first episode where Clementine doesn't have any non-canon deaths, the second being "Around Every Corner".
- When giving out the food, everyone will accept the apple first time; even people who normally refuse food like Doug/Carley, but Lilly refuses the first time (if sided with Kenny or remain neutral) and Kenny will only accept if you have chosen to feed Duck.
- Also, out of all those people, Katjaa is the only one who cannot be fed.
- Giving out the apple will provoke a different conversation from most of the group; the crackers with cheese and the jerky will usually give the same conversation. (except for Larry)
- Examining the pictures and personal effects on the wall in the St. Johns' house will provide Lee with different dialogue during the stand-off with Brenda later in the game.
- This episode took the longest to develop after the game started off due to drastic changes in both the game mechanics and the storyline of this episode itself during early development.
- The abandoned car at the end of the episode belongs to the stranger, as revealed in "No Time Left".
- According to unused audio clips found in the game files, Lee was originally going to return to the motel himself to inform the group about what the dairy had to offer. They also featured a dream sequence of Doug/Carley questioning Lee on why he didn't save him/her, and that he wouldn't be able to save anyone.
- If Lee chose to attempt to save Larry in the meat locker and get to four chest compressions while performing CPR, Larry's mouth will twitch before the salt lick is dropped on his head.
- Failure to choose whether to help Kenny or Lilly will result in Kenny will pushing Lee to the ground calling him "useless", and killing Larry himself. The relationship between Kenny and Lee will be the same as if Lee tried to save Larry. Lilly would not hate Lee for not choosing a side.
- The title of this episode refers to the group seeking food from another group.
- Lee has 100 seconds to free David from the trap.
- If Lee takes too long taking off the screws in the barn, the player doesn't actually get to see what's in the barn and the game continues as normal.
- Also, if Lee decide not to open the doors, Andrew will call Lee for dinner regardless.
- It is revealed from the unused audio clips of this episode that the St. John brothers are the ones responsible for setting up the rigged bear traps found earlier in the episode. Also the one Danny sets up in the barn is the same as the one at the start.
- In the earlier development, the group was already aware of the bandits, as they had attacked after the events of "A New Day", but it was scrapped.
- Terence McGovern, the voice actor for Larry, is credited as "Terry McGoovern" in this episode's credits (though this was fixed in the Xbox One and PS4 editions).
- In the PC, Xbox 360 and PS3 version of this episode, Lilly's appearence is noticably retained to her pre-release apperanace. However in all the other versions of this episode (including the HD remaster collection), her appearance remains the same as it does in episode 1 and 3.
- Lee and Carley (if she survived) will joke about the battery puzzle from "A New Day", regardless of whether Lee helped her with it or not.
- If Lee chooses to loot the station wagon at the end and gets Clem to hold onto the hoodie on the grounds she can give it back to the owner should they meet the notification will read: "You convinced Clementine to take to hoodie for a while" instead of "the hoodie".
- If Lee chose to help kill Larry but spare Danny, Lilly's rifle will disappear when she scolds Lee, making it seem like she's carrying nothing.
- Lilly's vomit in the meatlocker is also not seen.
- When entering the house for dinner, Andy says the blockage by the staircase is due to a walker getting upstairs earlier. Also right before Lee & Mark go to check the perimeter Andy says that the fence stops walkers in three or four seconds. He uses the term "walker" in both of these sequences even if he did not learn the term from Lee before.
- Lee carries a duplicate of Danny's rifle (Charlotte) when he and Danny get back from the camp.
- If Lee asked about David, "Was he bitten?", but failed to get him out of the bear trap, will result in bringing Travis back to the motel, but Kenny will scold at Ben by saying "You said he wasn't bitten", meaning he's talking about David despite the fact Lee brought Travis with him. (Causing a vice-versa)
- When checking the fence perimeter, Lee's axe keeps disappearing and reappearing.
- If Lee saved Carley in "A New Day" and brought either David or Travis, she'll shoot their reanimated self in the head, but when they're dead, at the back of their head, an axe mark can be seen despite the fact they got shot.
- If Danny St. John shoots Jolene, a bullet hole will appear in her forehead even though Danny was to the left of her and she did not turn her head to look at Danny before she was killed.
- Throughout the confrontation by Jolene, her crossbow is loaded. However, after Danny shoots her, the arrow is missing and it looks like it never had one to begin with.
- If Larry is given the axe (if Carley is saved in Episode 1), he will claim later in the episode that he saved Lee's life, despite the fact that he did not.
- When Lee and Mark find a third walker trapped in fence, you can see there's clearly nothing between the silo and tractor, but when Lee get the tractor moving to escape the bandits, two walkers appear from nowhere. Lee claims they were the ones that they pushed down earlier, despite that they are in the wrong location, wearing different clothing, and too close together to be them.
- Lilly is covered in Larry's blood after Kenny crushes him if Lee tried to help her but Lee is clean despite being as close to Larry as she was.
- If Andy manages to get in some punches whilst fighting Lee his fists will be covered in blood but Lee's face is injury free.
- If Danny is killed and Andy is spared (and vice-versa) Clementine will act as if Lee killed both of them despite the fact that he didn't, however when she mentioned it as "Those men" she may have ment Larry and the brother Lee killed, if Lee chose to kill Larry, since she probaly wasn't very friendly with Larry it's possible she would address him as "a man". However if Lee didn't kill Larry this remains a inconsistency.
- If Leechoose to help Lilly save Larry, it will sometimes give Lee the option to press on his chest again after Kenny crushes his head.
- If Lee punch Andy until his face swells up, his reflection in the puddle beneath him shows his face in normal condition.
- As Lee enters the house for dinner Duck is heard saying "Biscuits?! Wow!" but there are none to be seen (they could have simply been eaten extremely fast though).
- If Lee choose to finish off Andy by shooting him, Kenny can be seen on the hill lying down when he was shot, even though he is right behind Lee with the rest.
- If Lee stop Clementine from eating the meat, her fork jiggles about.
- Also, even if Lee gets Clementine to spit out her meat she will still act as though she ate some.
- If Lee enters the barn, despite the fact that it is day time, the open doors behind him will show that it is night time outside when he enters. Once Lee leaves the barn it will be day time again.
- If the player enters the second stable from the left (the one Kenny stands next to), Lee has the option of looking at a hay bale. If the player prompts the "look" button, Duck will appear from behind Lee, saying that he wants to jump on the hay. This is normal, but if this action is taken after everyone leaves to have dinner in the house, Lee will look at the hay bale, hear Duck's voice, but nobody will be standing there.
- Humorously, Lee talks to the invisible Duck.
- Sometimes, when Lee sneaks up to the house, the dialogue between the St. John's and Katjaa will be delayed. Brenda may scream at Katjaa at the same time she questions Lee on who he is.
- The color and pattern of Andy's clothes are different from when he holds Duck hostage and when he fights Lee.
- When the group gathers at the gates (if Lee continued punching Andy), Ben is not seen with the group.
- A follow up error occurs here if Lee stops punching Andy without Carley's/Doug's intervention, where Clementine stands in a different position than where she was before and Ben is still not present.
- If Lee picked up the multi-tool before first entering the barn, he may not be able to talk to Katjaa after getting Andy out of the barn.
- If Lee picked up Andy's rifle and spared him (meaning he takes the rifle with him), when the group reaches the forest, Lee does not have the rifle anymore.
- When first talking to Lilly after she arrived at the farm, she will claim that you backed her up when she confronted Lee about bringing a severely injured person to the motel, even if you chose the neutral option and didn't take her side at all.
- Doing nothing when choosing Shawn or Duck in the previous episode (which will count as having saved Duck in the statistics) leads to continuity errors that may continue into this episode. It might happen that Kenny will scold Lee for not helping Duck at the farm when they're talking about Kenny's idea of leaving in the RV, but later on, when talking to Katjaa in the barn, she will thank Lee for saving Duck at the farm.
- In The Collection version: When Larry gets his face bashed in, there will be no blood on Lilly but in the original version there was on on her neck and face.
- Sometimes when Lee is grabbed by the zombified Travis and fails the button sequence, he will respawn and will be unable to move. Instead, Lee just teleports around the camp, halting further progression in the episode.
- If Brenda is spoken to inside the house before Lee and Mark check the perimeter, the doorway to the dining room will be missing, as are the awards on the wall.
- Sometimes when giving out food Lee will somehow end up with 3 sets of cheese and crackers.
- If Lee failed to save David, saved Carley in Episode 1, and told the St. John brothers that he decided not to leave the motel, Travis's zombie model can be seen standing through the back of the pickup truck where he died.
- If Lee tells the St. John's that he is the groups leader and fixes the swing, after Andy says "No wonder you're the leader of your group", Larry and Lilly glitch back and forth for a second.
- While deciding Danny's fate, if the player takes too long, Danny will look down and close his eyes, as if anticipating a killing blow. If Lee decides to kill him, his head phases towards Lee without any indication of having turned his head.
- If Lee chose to shoot Andy instead of sparing his life, Kenny's model would be seen laying in the background, as Lee about to and shoots Andy.
- When Brenda holds Katjaa hostage, she holds Lee at gunpoint every three steps he takes. When Lee talks to her and chooses his conversation option, the player has a split second chance to talk to her again immediately after. If Lee chose the aggressive option ("Put the gun down, bitch!") in the first option, Brenda will not shoot during the second action. Lee will be unable to move after this, however, halting further progression.
There are some sequences that didn't get to the final cut of the episode.
- During the bear trap incident, the situation was completely different. Travis was not present and Lee, Kenny or Mark had to help Ben shoot the walkers while one of the three cut off Mr. Parker's leg. If Mr. Parker was saved, the story would progress as normal, but if he was left behind, Lee would have been left with an additional choice whether to leave Ben behind as well. If David was left behind, Mark would get shot in the head at the dairy by the bandits after he and Lee finish clearing the fence at the St. Johns dairy, requiring Lee to get back to dairy alone, Mr. Parker would then be found taking up Mark's role of being the dinner.
- Lee and the group could choose to bring gas or not. If Lee said no, then Andy would come back with some food every day until the group said yes. Ben would stay behind due to the traumas, Kenny replacing his role in joining the trip to the dairy. Lilly was more acceptable to the newest member, teaching him the basics.
- There is a dream sequence present in the game data, whoever you didn't save (Doug/Carley) came back to haunt Lee in his dream asking why they weren't saved, and that Clementine will die because of his actions. The senator that Lee killed is mentioned, his name revealed to be Sam. They end it with "Do you think you can save me this time?" 
- When the group arrived at the farm, the group could either take the biscuits or leave.(Refusing them apparently results in a hilarious dialog between Mark and Carley/Doug) Lee could also freely leave the farm and back to the motor inn if desired.
- When first arriving at the dairy, Lee could have initiated in dialogue with Danny, where he reveals that he and Andy are responsible for the bear traps in the forest and that they are rigged to not be opened. Lee could bring the incident with David to him.
- Kenny could have initiated in more dialogue with Lee after he returns from the hunt with Danny. Kenny's dialogue include his lines from the teaser trailer about the possibility of war. Kenny would also mention to Lee about what he saw in the barn, which he would come to the conclusion that they are keeping food.
- When Duck and Kenny are playing on the swing, a walker would have appeared and would be electrified by the fence.
- There was more to Jolene. Depending on Lee's choice she could mention another bandit called Paul, and her daughter Danielle.
- There's an unused audio clip where Brenda tells Lee about her husband's fate. She says that a bunch of walkers got into the house somehow, and attacked Terry, thus killing Terry.
- The dinner sequence was much larger, as an unused sub-quest occurred where Lee had to cut Clementine's food or let Lilly/Kenny do it. Lee could also choose to add more salt or pepper to Clementine's plate or let the two above do it. There were several retakes of a prayer, and Lee at this point had found out that Mark/David was dinner.
- Originally when Lee excuses himself to wash his hands, Lee could have picked up some pills from the cabinet.
- Additionally, Lee could give them to Lilly when she tries to revive Larry.
- Larry's death was much sadder as he in his dying breath apologized to Lilly for not being able to protect her and her mother.
- When Lilly tries to revive Larry, she would have said her line that can be heard in the teaser for Starved For Help.
- When Kenny tries to convince the others to put Larry down, Lee had the option to restrain Kenny in an attempt to stop him from crushing Larry's head, however Kenny would overpower Lee.
- After killing Larry, Kenny had much more dialogue in meat locker that included apologising to Clementine for making her witness Larry's death, he also would suggest to Lee about removing the AC unit rather than the player discovering it themself.
- When deciding Danny's fate, Lee had an additional option to simply knock him out.
- The group was scattered at first after the revelation of cannibalism, Lee found Kenny first, who was shot beforehand, and then Lilly before trying to rescue Duck and Katjaa.
- Originally the group did not find a station wagon, the food was in the barn. After Doug/Carley and Ben saves Lee and the others and after Andy's fight, they all took a box and went back to the motor inn. The supply room was replaced with a bloody tub, metallic equipment and jars containing organs instead.
- If the player decided to help Larry, later when the group is in the forest and Lee gave his answer to Clementine about the St. John's fate, Lilly states that she already knew about Lee killing the man who slept with his wife. She accepts that as believes Lee is making the right decisions. This was scrapped for unknown reasons.
- If Lee made every choice that goes against Kenny as much as possible, he would tell Lee before finding the station wagon that he is leaving without both him and Clementine.
- Additionally, after the survivors took the food you could go around asking everyone how they felt about today's events in the motor inn. If Mr. Parker was left behind but taking Ben he'd tell that it was a horrible fate for his teacher as he was a good man.
- The teaser for "Long Road Ahead" was going to be longer, but was cut down most likely to prevent spoilers.
- Main article: Starved For Help/Transcript
- For all obtainable achievements and trophies, see Achievements.
The episode was well received. IGN's Greg Miller noted the episode's high level of immersion and intensity, as well as the continuing character development of Lee, stating "I really was Lee, and he wasn't the man I thought he was" The episode received a Metacritic score of 84.
- ↑ SFH Shoot Andy Glitch
- ↑ Cut outcome of leaving David behind.
- ↑ Cut scene of Lee having a nightmare about Carley/Doug.
- ↑ Cut scene of Lee coming back to Motor Inn with the biscuits.
- ↑ Cut conversation with Danny about the bear traps.
- ↑ Cut conversation with Kenny (at 1:19).
- ↑ Cut scene of a walker being electrified by the fence (at 3:47).
- ↑ Cut scene of Lee giving pills for Lilly to use in an effort to save Larry.
- ↑ Cut scene of Lilly's line from the teaser being used.
- ↑ Cut struggle between Kenny and Lee in attempt to stop him from killing Larry.
- ↑ Kenny's cut dialogue in the meat locker.
- ↑ Cut option of Lee knocking Danny out (at 4:03).
- ↑ Cut scene of Lilly confiding with Lee that she knew about his past.
- ↑ Cut scene of Kenny telling Lee that he is leaving him.
- ↑ Original "Long Road Ahead" preview teaser
|Episodes of The Walking Dead Video Game|
|Season 1||"A New Day" • "Starved For Help" • "Long Road Ahead" • "Around Every Corner" • "No Time Left"|
|"400 Days"||"Vince's Story" • "Wyatt's Story" • "Russell's Story" • "Bonnie's Story" • "Shel's Story" • "Epilogue"|
|Season 2||"All That Remains" • "A House Divided" • "In Harm's Way" • "Amid The Ruins" • "No Going Back"|
|Michonne Series||"In Too Deep" • "Give No Shelter" • "What We Deserve"|
|Season 3||"Ties That Bind - Part 1" • "Ties That Bind - Part 2" • "Above The Law" • "Thicker Than Water" • "From The Gallows"|
|Season 4||"Done Running" • "Suffer The Children" • "Broken Toys" • "Take Us Back"|