- "I stand before you today, at the start of a new tomorrow! A tomorrow made possible by the sacrifices of many over the years. Among them, a man whose mission was to build community, and strengthen the bonds between us. A man who had to destroy the very thing that connected us in order to save us. It took us far too long to fulfill the promise of what Rick Grimes and his son Carl envisioned. The same promise, that Paul Rovia, better known to most as Jesus, believed in when he brought us together those many years ago. We’ve always been bound to each other."
- —Ezekiel's speech to start off the fair.[src]
The Coalition is a network of survivor communities formed in Season 9 of AMC's The Walking Dead. It is a successor to Rick's original group and incorporates the Militia. Drawn up as an attempt to bring Rick's group and the communities together again after several events tore them apart, it shortly also became a united front against the threat of the Whisperers.
Following the presumed death of Rick Grimes, his group, who once saw itself as an unbreakable family, became divided, cold, and distant from each other following Michonne's decision to only look out for Alexandria's well-being after a group of bandits led by an old friend betrayed her and kidnapped Judith, forcing her to kill many children. Six years later, Ezekiel attempts to bring the group and the communities back together with a fair, where each community leader would sign a charter that agrees that each of the four remaining communities will agree to trade with and aid one another, promoting the re-establishment of society, and honoring Rick's legacy.
Following Rick's presumed death, Michonne has their child, a baby boy, and after an old friend comes to Alexandria's gates seeking refuge only to betray her and kidnap Judith, Michonne is forced to kill several children and decides to only watch out for Alexandria's wellbeing, causing the group to divide even further, becoming cold and aggressive to each other. Several former Saviors integrate into Alexandria after the fall of the Sanctuary, earning their trust and place within the group, Laura, D.J. and Frankie among them. Sometime later, Maggie leaves Hilltop to travel with a group of pioneers with her son to help build up another community. Six years later, Daryl has isolated himself from the rest of the world in search of Rick, and an older Judith saves Magna's Group from a herd and invites them to Alexandria. Despite Michonne's reprehension, they are offered a home at Hilltop, proving themselves as trustworthy allies as they travel there. When Eugene and Rosita attempt to increase Alexandria's radio signal to find more signs of life, they are attacked by a strangely intelligent herd of walkers, who were "whispering" to each other. Rosita manages to escape after leaving an injured Eugene in a barn. Aaron, Jesus, and Daryl go out to find Eugene, only for Jesus to lose his life when the Whisperers reveal themselves to the group.
After escaping the Whisperers with the help of Magna's group, the survivors make their way back to Hilltop to give Jesus a proper funeral, and run into a small group of walkers. They corner them at a bridge and unmask a young girl who begs for her life. Taking her back to Hilltop as a prisoner, they question her about her people. Failing to get any information from her, Daryl lets Henry talk to her, and the two begin to form a romantic relationship. Rosita reveals she is pregnant with Siddiq's child, and later Alden and Luke are captured by Alpha, the Whisperer's leader and Lydia's mother.
Alpha drags Alden and Luke before the Hilltop's gates, demanding Lydia's return in exchange for their lives, promising no conflict so long as she is returned. During the standoff, a Whisperer abandons her baby as it was crying and attracting walkers, but Connie saves it. Lydia is successfully exchanged for Alden and Luke, and Ezekiel, Carol, and Jerry make a trip to a movie theater to obtain a projector bulb, passing by a sign with a symbol on it. Henry follows the Whisperers to get Lydia back, and Daryl and Connie go out to retrieve him. Alpha's second-in-command finds and captures Henry, though Lydia signals she is now loyal to Henry, and when Daryl and Connie infiltrate the Whisperers, Lydia and Henry leave together. Jerry and his patrol are ambushed by the Highwaymen, who steal their supplies and send Jerry back with a message, demanding a list of supplies from the Kingdom or else they will make sure no one will make it to the fair.
Ezekiel, Carol, and Jerry confront the Highwaymen's leader, Ozzy, and despite a tense standoff, Carol successfully wins over the Highwaymen's service as escorts to the fair by offering them a chance to watch a movie. Meanwhile, Daryl, Connie, Henry, and Lydia are chased by Beta and the Whisperers, and the four hold themselves up in a office building, where they face off against their pursuers, and Daryl seemingly defeats Beta in a one-on-one. As they all arrive at the Kingdon, some Whisperers spot them, and prepare to report back to Alpha.
In the Kingdom, Ezekiel addresses the crowd and declares they’ve finally accomplished Rick, Carl, and Jesus' dreams of reuniting the communities. As everyone celebrates, Daryl, Michonn, and the convoy arrive. Carol scolds Henry for running away while Michonne greets Ezekiel, who’s shocked to see her. Carol and Ezekiel marvel at how much Judith has grown while Tara spots Lydia among the group. Tara is angered that Lydia is with them and they were only supposed to bring Henry alone.
Inside the theater, Michonne convenes the leaders and tells them she’s finally ready for Alexandria to help out. Gabriel announces Alexandria is willing to grant asylum to Lydia, but Tara warns if her mother retaliates it’ll be against Hilltop. Michonne reminds her that none of them were trusted when they were first introduced to Rick’s group, and Tara relents. They all agree to send some of their own to Hilltop to guard against any potential attacks from the Whisperers and Michonne decides to re-establish the charter, establishing that an attack against Hilltop counts as an attack against all of them. Ezekiel then retrieves the original charter as Tara and Michonne finally make up. They all sign the charter, and Michonne tells Gabriel he should sign for Alexandria as the head of the council.
Later that day, in the Kingdom, Alpha walks around the fair in her disguise. She observes the trading booths, paints and people celebrating. Ezekiel notices her and introduces himself. She presents herself as Deborah from Alexandria and asks him to show her around. Somehow, Alpha is able to kidnap Tara, Enid, Henry and several residents and has them be taken away to a stable in the woods.
In the stable, Alpha arrives as the kidnapped residents try to fight back and then proceeds to kill them all. However, she lets Siddiq live to warn the others and to try to divide the communities by scaring them. She then decapitates her victims and place their heads on pikes in the middle of a border, separating the Whisperer's land and the communities.
Sometime later, the Kingdom finally falls to a hard winter and its already deteriorating conditions. The Kingdommers move to the Hilltop with the help of people from the Hilltop and Alexandria. Despite a blinding and dangerous blizzard, everyone makes it to the Hilltop safely after crossing through the Whisperers' territory.
In the time since the fair, the Coalition has organized into a fighting force training for the inevitable return of the Whisperers and their horde. Following the crash of a satellite, the Coalition is forced to cross the border again to fight a fire, provoking Alpha to change the borders again. With the Whisperers back, paranoia spreads throughout the communities, heightened in Alexandria by Dante, a Whisperer spy disguised as Alexandria's doctor. Alpha chooses to take a long game approach, sending smaller waves of walkers to attack Alexandria, crashing a tree through the Hilltop defensive walls, causing trouble near Oceanside and poisoning Alexandria's water supply. During this time, after accidentally killing Margo while defending Lydia, Negan escapes from Alexandria and joins the Whisperers.
The conflict between the Coalition and the Whisperers begins to heat up when Siddiq discovers Dante is a Whisperer spy and is murdered by him. Dante is exposed and later murdered by Gabriel Stokes for his actions while Aaron attempts to turn Gamma to the Coalition's side. After Carol reveals Lydia's survival, Gamma, returning to her real name of Mary, defects to the Coalition and reveals the location of Alpha's horde while an enraged Lydia takes off. Ultimately, several members of the Coalition become trapped in the cave containing the horde. Though most escape, an explosion collapses the cave entrance, trapping Magna and Connie while taking out approximately half of the horde. Beta later infiltrates Alexandria to find Mary, killing several residents, including Laura. However, Mary is able to lure Beta away and he is forced to retreat by returning Coalition members. At the same time, Daryl and Alpha have a brutal fight that ends in a draw before Lydia rescues Daryl. Unable to kill her mother, Lydia rejects Alpha completely, causing Alpha to lose all inhibitions and declare all-out war on the Coalition.
Alpha and the Whisperers subsequently attack the Hilltop, using a plan suggested by Negan to prevent an easy retreat. Unable to call for help from the other communities in time, the Hilltoppers and Coalition soldiers stationed there are forced to hold out against a massive walker attack on their own. The Whisperers set much of the Hilltop on fire, including Barrington House, ultimately forcing the Coalition to abandon the Hilltop and flee. Many members of the Coalition are killed in the battle with Alpha deciding to add them to her horde to help replace the walkers lost in the battle. Upon later making contact with Judith again, Michonne is told that the Coalition managed to destroy most of the Whisperers' horde in the battle for the Hilltop. Magna is discovered to have survived and hidden amongst the horde, but is unsure of Connie's fate. Amongst those who lose their lives are Earl Sutton who was bitten in the battle and Mary who is killed by Beta after using herself as bait to lure a herd away from Alden, Kelly and her nephew. However, at the same time, Negan lures Alpha into a trap using Lydia and kills the Whisperer leader. Negan brings her zombified head to Carol, Negan and Carol having been working together the entire time to have Negan get close to Alpha and kill her.
- Gabriel Stokes (De-Facto Leader of the community/Head of the Council/Priest)
- Aaron (Councilmember/Lieutenant)
- Kyle (Councilmember)
- Carol Peletier (Former Co-Leader of the Coalition)
- Eugene Porter (Engineer)
- Rosita Espinosa (Soldier)
- Daryl Dixon (Soldier)
- Negan (Soldier)
- Judith Grimes (Soldier/Student)
- Lydia (Soldier/Student)
- Scott (Soldier)
- Gracie (Student)
- R.J. Grimes
- Socorro Espinosa
- Nora (Councilmember/Gardener)
- Gage (Soldier/Student)
- Mrs. Robinson (Gardener)
- Mary (Soldier)
- Laura (Councilmember/Prison Guard/Soldier)
- Siddiq (Doctor/Councilmember)
- D.J. (Guard/Road Patrol)
- Many unnamed Alexandria residents
- Yumiko (Soldier/Former Councilmember)
- Alden (Soldier/Former Councilmember)
- Jerry (Soldier/Former Councilmember)
- Ezekiel (Former Councilmember)
- Magna (Soldier)
- Luke (Soldier)
- Kelly (Soldier/ASL Teacher)
- Dianne (Soldier)
- Oscar (Soldier)
- Marco (Soldier)
- Bertie (Soldier)
- Connie (Soldier)
- Kal (Self-Defense Instructor)
- Quan (Soldier/Guard/Distiller)
- Earl Sutton (Former Blacksmith/Councilmember)
- Penny (Soldier)
- Felix (Soldier)
- Henry (Student/Apprentice Blacksmith)
- Tara Chambler (Former De-Facto Leader of the community)
- Enid (Doctor)
- Adeline (Student)
- Rodney (Student)
- Tammy Rose Sutton (Head Gardener)
- Many unnamed Hilltop residents
- Many unnamed Kingdom residents
- Cyndie (Leader of the community)
- Rachel Ward (Soldier/Fisher)
- Many unnamed Oceanside residents
- Alfred (Soldier)
- Margo (Soldier)
- Ozzy (Former Leader of the group/Road Patrol)
- Alek (Road Patrol)
- At least 12 unnamed Highwaymen
- Michonne (Former Leader of the Alexandria Safe-Zone/Head of Security/Councilmember/Soldier)
- Dante (Whisperer Spy/Former Doctor)
- Brandon (Former Prison Guard)
- Casper (Alive and Zombified)
- Martin (Alive and Zombified)
- Ozzy (Alive and Zombified)
- Alek (Alive and Zombified)
- D.J. (Alive and Zombified)
- Frankie (Alive and Zombified)
- Tammy Rose Sutton (Alive and Zombified)
- Rodney (Alive and Zombified)
- Adeline (Alive and Zombified)
- Enid (Alive and Zombified)
- Tara Chambler (Alive and Zombified)
- Henry (Alive and Zombified)
- Siddiq (Alive and Zombified)
- Alfred (Alive and Zombified)
- Felix (Alive and Zombified)
- Penny (Alive and Zombified)
- Hilltop Millwright
- Mary (Alive and Zombified)
- Earl Sutton (Alive and Zombified)
- At least 12 unnamed Alexandria residents (4 Confirmed Fate, 7 Alive and Zombified, 1 Alive)
- At least 2 unnamed Oceanside residents (2 Off-Screen)
- Many unnamed Hilltop residents
- Whisperer 1
- Casper (Zombified)
- Martin (Zombified)
- Ozzy (Zombified)
- Alek (Zombified)
- D.J. (Zombified)
- Frankie (Zombified)
- Tammy Rose Sutton (Zombified)
- Rodney (Zombified)
- Adeline (Zombified)
- Enid (Zombified)
- Tara Chambler (Zombified)
- Henry (Zombified)
- Siddiq (Zombified)
- Alfred (Zombified)
- Felix (Zombified)
- Penny (Zombified)
- Mary (Zombified)
- Earl Sutton (Zombified)
- Alpha (Alive)
- 2 wild boar
- 1 unnamed Alexandria resident (Confirmed Fate)
- 51 unnamed Whisperers (45 Alive, 2 Caused,1 Alive and Zombified, 1 Alive and Before Reanimation, 1 Before Reanimation)
- 2 unnamed members of the Coalition (1 Directly or Indirectly Caused, 1 Alive)
- Numerous counts of zombies
- As shown by the charter in "Bounty", the Sanctuary and the Saviors were originally meant to be a part of the Coalition. However, the Sanctuary fell since the charter was written and the Saviors disbanded with at least most joining the other communities or becoming a part of Jed's group.