"The Door" is the eighth episode and mid-season premiere of the sixth season of AMC's Fear The Walking Dead. It is the seventy-seventh episode of the series overall. It premiered on April 11, 2021. It was written by Andrew Chambliss & Ian Goldberg and directed by Michael Satrazemis.
John carefully cleans his gun at his cabin and periodically shoots walkers coming out of the river. He writes a note with Scrabble tiles, "Goodbye June", then aims the gun at his head. He stops to shoot another walker outside, then goes to investigate.
John rows a canoe upriver to track down the source of the walkers. He finds a bridge swarming with walkers.
On the bridge, John finds the walkers penned in by a makeshift fence.
John searches the general store and finds Dakota and Morgan, who is wounded. Dakota and Morgan explain that they barricaded the walkers while fleeing from Virginia's rangers. They hear someone outside and hide.
Marcus, one of Virginia's rangers, enters the store and sees John's name on the DVD check-out list. He goes outside to alert Hill via walkie. Dakota tells John that he should have shot Marcus, but John argues that there was no need.
Back at John's cabin, Morgan urges John to join his community, but John refuses to leave the cabin. Morgan ignores a radio call from Virginia but picks up when he hears Grace's voice. Virginia threatens to kill Grace and all of Morgan's friends at Lawton if he does not return Dakota.
Morgan tells John they must lure Virginia to their turf before she harms their friends. John refuses to kill anyone but offers to help Morgan and Dakota cross the bridge.
Morgan and Dakota load up a car. Marcus gallops toward them on horseback and shoots, then lassos Morgan and drags him through the woods. Dakota tries to drive after Marcus but the engine is damaged from gunfire. John shoots Marcus dead.
John buries Marcus and regrets that he didn't kill Marcus back at the general store. Morgan finds a rusty truck to replace their damaged vehicle and says he just needs a couple of parts to fix it.
John and Dakota salvage parts from an abandoned truck at a nearby cabin. John explains that his father moved to a secluded cabin when he was a child and was barely a part of his life.
John removes the front door of the neighboring cabin to use at his cabin, which lacks a front door. Dakota tries to assuage John's guilt over Janis' death and points out that people kill each other and die all the time in their world. John accuses her of sounding like Virginia. Morgan confronts John about his suicide mission after decoding John's suicide note from the Scrabble tiles. John is not dissuaded.
Back at John's cabin, Morgan again tries to dissuade John from killing himself and implores John to join his community. John sidesteps Morgan's plea and suggests they clear the walkers on the bridge.
John, Morgan and Dakota drive onto the bridge. John and Morgan kill walkers from the back of the truck as Dakota slowly drives through the herd. The truck stalls. John fixes the engine, narrowly avoiding walkers. Dakota slams the gas pedal and crashes through the barricade, sending walkers over the bridge.
Morgan gives John an old photo of his father that he found while fixing the truck. He again urges John to come with him but John refuses. Morgan radios Virginia and tells her to meet him at the general store. He also tells her about John's cabin to prevent John from going back. John yells at Morgan.
John and Dakota search the bridge for a missing truck part. Dakota stabs a walker when it grabs her. John recognizes the knife and realizes that Dakota killed Cameron. Dakota tearfully explains that she killed Cameron after he told Virginia about her secret passage out of Lawton. She defends her actions and insists that killing Cameron was no different from what other people do to get their way. She aims her gun at John. John urges her to lower the gun and promises to keep her secret. Dakota shoots him and pushes him into the water.
John sinks to the river bottom and finds the photo of his father. He swims back to the surface and floats downriver.
Morgan rejoins Dakota on the bridge. Dakota turns her gun on him. Morgan sees the knife and realizes Dakota killed Cameron. Dakota orders Morgan to bring her to his community as planned. Morgan grabs the gun and holds his axe to her neck. Dakota reveals that she was the one who saved him at the gulch and nursed him back to health. She says that the only reason she saved him was because she wanted him to kill Virginia.
Virginia arrives at John's cabin with June and Hill. Morgan radios Virginia and explains that John is floating toward the cabin after Dakota shot him. He offers to talk with Virginia only after she finds John and helps him.
June runs outside when she sees John's body wash up on the river shore. John crawls toward her: he's turned. A heartbroken June stabs him in the head with a knife.
- First (and last) appearance of Mr. Dorie. (Photograph)
- Last appearance of Marcus.
- Last appearance of John Dorie. (Alive)
- Last appearance of McNeill's Bait & Beer.
- The title of the episode, "The Door", refers to John talking about using it to keep the passed locked out, and later using a door to float down the river after being shot by Dakota.
- This episode was made available for streaming to subscribers of AMC Premiere on April 4, 2021.
- This episode marks Maggie Grace's 25th appearance on Fear The Walking Dead.
- This episode was originally meant to air as the mid-season finale; however the production of this episode was postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- This episode features several callbacks to "Laura":
- John has to put down several walkers that wash up at his cabin due to a hole in the bridge and must travel upriver in his canoe in order to fix it. In addition, the jeep that he and June used to block the hole can be seen in the background on the bridge. However, the truck that had crashed into the river appears to be gone.
- John watches movies rented from McNeill's Bait & Beer where his reviews are written on a sheet of paper that Marcus finds.
- On Talking Dead, it was confirmed that the movie John watches is Meet John Doe, which was the first movie John and June watched together.
- John has isolated himself from the world until someone shows up to bring him back again.
- John spells out a message to June using Scrabble tiles.
- Dakota mentions that "somebody stocked the shelves with everything that I needed" in order to patch Morgan up. While at Bill's for the first time, June had rearranged the medical supplies in order to make it easier in case someone came by needing them.
- June finds the zombified John in the exact same way and position that he had found her aside from June still being alive, it being daytime instead of nighttime and John not being slumped over a canoe.
- The events of "What's Your Story?" are mentioned several times.
- It was revealed in this episode that Dakota killed Cameron for him telling Virginia that she was sneaking in and out of Lawton. However, Dakota didn't expect her to kill Janis and had encouraged John's investigation in the hopes that seeing Virginia obviously covering up for someone would create doubt amongst her people.
- The broadcast of this episode ends with a notice warning people that if they or a loved one has expressed thoughts of suicide, to call a suicide hotline.
- This is the first episode since "No One's Gone" to feature a death of a main character.
- In the Memoriam on Talking Dead for this episode, the walker that Dakota kills is credited as Dakota Would've Gotten Away With It Too, If It Weren't for This Meddling Walker in a reference to Scooby Doo. In addition, the message at the end is spelled out with Scrabble tiles in a reference to "Laura" and the messages that John and June would leave for each other using the tiles.
- Grace is about seven months pregnant now.
- John's guns were sent to him by his father whom they used to belong to.