"Things Left to Do" is the ninth episode of the sixth season of AMC's Fear The Walking Dead. It is the seventy-eighth episode of the series overall. It premiered on April 18, 2021. It was written by Nick Bernardone and directed by Michael Satrazemis.
June digs a grave and rolls John's body in. She takes John's revolver and glares at Virginia in the distance. Hill orders her to drop the gun, then reports June to Virginia. June demands to know why Dakota killed John. Virginia says she doesn't know.
Back in Lawton, Strand rounds up Luciana, Sarah, Daniel, and Grace. A ranger forces June to kneel with the group. Virginia aims her gun at their heads and demands to know where Morgan is. When no one answers, she radios Morgan and threatens to kill Grace. Morgan shows up on horseback and reveals to the rangers that Dakota killed Cameron and that Virginia covered it up. Strand backs up Morgan and says that the rangers will die like Cameron if they follow Virginia. Virginia whips out her gun. Strand shoots her in the shoulder, triggering a gun battle. Hill escapes with Daniel and Grace as hostages. Morgan orders Virginia to call Hill back but Virginia refuses. Strand tells Morgan to hand Virginia over, but Morgan and Virginia get into a van and drive off together.
Morgan treats Virginia's gunshot wound at his old hideout and orders her to radio Hill to ensure Grace and Daniel's safety. Morgan tells Virginia that Dakota saved him at the Gulch in the hopes that he would kill Virginia. Virginia breaks down in tears and reveals that Dakota is her daughter. They hear Sherry's group arrive in the SWAT truck. They escape in the van.
Morgan and Virginia flee on foot when the van runs out of fuel. Sherry's group pursues them. Sherry corners Virginia. Morgan warns her that his friends will die if she kills Virginia. He overpowers Sherry and escapes with Virginia.
Morgan agrees to bring Virginia to his community, where she can reunite with Dakota. Virginia begs to run away with Dakota, but Morgan reminds her of all the evil she has brought upon his friends. They arrive at the dam.
Morgan brings Virginia into his community. Rachel sees Virginia and objects to her being there. Al radios Morgan from the guard post and reports that Strand has arrived with rangers.
Strand tells Al that the rangers want custody of Virginia. Sherry and her group arrive in the SWAT truck.
Al radios Morgan that everyone outside wants to get their hands on Virginia. Morgan says Grace and Daniel will die if they turn Virginia over. Strand vows to take her by force. Virginia offers to release Daniel and Grace and surrender to the rangers, on the condition that Dakota gets to live in Morgan's community. She also requests that Morgan be the one to kill her, so that she can avoid a painful death from the others.
Morgan brings Virginia outside and tells everyone the conditions of Virginia's deal. He orders Virginia to kneel, then raises his axe over her head. At the last second, he lowers the axe, unable to kill her. He declares that killing Virginia would make them no better than her, then retreats behind the dam with Virginia.
Morgan brings Virginia to Dakota in a church and leaves them alone. Virginia tells Dakota that she is her mother. She explains that she killed her parents because they didn't protect her and Virginia, and that everything she has done since then has been to keep Dakota safe. Dakota screams at Virginia for bringing her into the world.
Daniel, June, Luciana, and Wes arrive at the dam on horses. Morgan announces that he wants the killing to stop, despite Sherry's demand that they hand Virginia over. Morgan invites everyone to join his community. Grace, Sarah, and Rabbi Jacob arrive shortly after and join the community. Grace shares a sweet reunion with Morgan.
Rabbi Jacob gives June the note that John wrote when he thought he would never see her again.
Dwight asks Sherry to join the community, but Sherry says she wouldn't find what she is looking for with his people. She leaves with her group in the SWAT truck.
Alicia implores Strand to join the community. Strand refuses and says they need to protect themselves from the enemy that Virginia was concerned about. Alicia wonders if the threat is even real. Strand offers to show her.
Inside the church, June removes the bullet from Virginia's shoulder. Morgan and Alicia tell Virginia that they've agreed to let her and Dakota live but that they must leave the community and never return. June is left alone to change Virginia's dressing. She talks with Virginia about being a mother, then asks if Virginia protected Dakota even after she knew she was capable of murder. She takes out John's gun and blames Virginia for John's death. She shoots Virginia in the head, killing her.
Morgan and Alicia run inside the church after hearing the gunshot. June puts on John's hat and strides through the settlement as everyone watches. She wipes a blood splatter from her face.
June leaves the community and walks off toward the horizon.
- Carl Thomas as James
- Demetrius Grosse as Emile LaRoux (Archive Footage)
- Joseph Castillo-Midyett as Cigarette Man (Archive Footage)
- Stephen Brodie as Young Man (Archive Footage)
- Wyatt as Rufus
- Jenny Biggs as Lawton Ranger
- Michael D. Yuhl as Lawton Ranger
- Eric Smith as Lawton Ranger
- Ron LeBlanc as Lawton Ranger
- Flynn O'Connor as Valley Town Resident
- Morgan Brown as Valley Town Resident
- Maxie Ginn as Valley Town Resident
- Brian Towns as Valley Town Resident
- Carmella Harper as Valley Town Resident
- Unknown as Frankie
- Unknown as Morgan
- First appearance of Frankie.
- Last appearance of John Dorie. (Corpse/Flashback)
- Last appearance of Virginia.
- Last appearance of Lee. (Unknown)
- Last appearance of James. (Unknown)
- The title of the episode, "Things Left to Do", refers to the note Dakota left for Morgan after she saved him.
- This episode was made available for streaming to subscribers of AMC Premiere on April 15, 2021.
- This episode marks Alexa Nisenson's 25th appearance on Fear The Walking Dead.
- This episode marks the first time that the SWAT van's machine guns are successfully used since "... I Lose Myself". Previously, they had failed to fire in "Skidmark" and were used as a threat in "Ner Tamid".
- Dakota is revealed to be Virginia's daughter, not her sister.
- Strand becomes the leader of the Pioneers after the truth about Cameron's murder is exposed.
- This is the only episode of Season 6 where all main cast members appear.
- This episode was originally meant to air as the mid-season premiere; however the production of this episode was postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- When June kills Virginia, her face is clean but when she heads outside, there is a streak of blood that she wipes off.
- In the beginning scene as June buries her husband, a ranger extra can be seen standing in the background by the cars, but will inexplicably disappear and reappear in certain shots during that scene.