|This article is about the Fear episode. You may be looking for the location.|
"USS Pennsylvania" is the fifteenth episode of the sixth season of AMC's Fear The Walking Dead. It is the eighty-fourth episode of the series overall. It premiered on June 6, 2021. It was written by Nick Bernardone & Nazrin Choudhury and directed by Heather Cappiello.
In a race against time to stop Teddy's plan, motives are revealed and convictions are tested as Morgan and his allies infiltrate and make their way through the beached submarine that holds the tools for Teddy's destruction.
Valley Town has been abandoned, with Morgan being the last person to leave. As he exits, he looks back somberly at the settlement. Meanwhile, inside the USS Pennsylvania, Dakota is being interviewed by Teddy. Teddy observes that Dakota saved Morgan's life so that he would give her a fresh start and a family, and asks if he did. Dakota denies this, and explains that Morgan founded a settlement where she could live, but that her mother did the same thing ten times over, and yet Dakota never felt comfortable there. Teddy concludes that this was because both of them wanted Dakota to be somebody she isn't, and remembers that what she really wants is someone to love her the way she is. Dakota asks if she can find that person in Teddy's new world, but he assures her that she already has, pointing to himself. Dakota wonders why Teddy trapped Alicia in the bunker if he saw something special in her, and Teddy confirms that he did, but explains that he loves what Alicia will become. He adds that this is something neither of them will ever be, as they are both "conclusions", so there is no room for them in the new world. When Dakota asks what will happen to them, Teddy calmly reveals that they will die with everyone else on the surface. To ease Dakota's worries, Teddy asks if she would rather pretend she is someone else for a chance at a longer life, or spend whatever time she has left as herself. She chooses the latter, much to Teddy's satisfaction. Just then, the power comes on as Riley enters the room. He says that they will need to power the diesel motors for the sub to have full functionality. When Dakota asks how he knows this, he reveals that he served as a weapons officer on the sub. When Teddy shows the keys around his neck, Dakota chuckles to herself, as the Pioneers also used keys symbolically as something that will "unlock the future". Dakota asks if Riley and the others know they will die, but Teddy says that they are aware. She asks how he got the cult to follow him to their doom, but he claims that it's easy to get people to follow you by offering them something they really want to believe in, and be wiling to die with them. Back outside Valley Town, Morgan grabs the axe he planted in the ground and joins the others on their approach to the sub.
- Wyatt as Rufus
- Jimmy Romano as Garza
- Mallory Thompson as Cultist
- Unknown as Morgan
- Unknown as Thompson
- Unknown as Wright
- Unknown as Farley
- Unknown as Stewart
- Unknown as Waters
- Unknown as Power
- Unknown as Johnson
- Unknown as Brown
- Unknown as Rogers
- Unknown as Nelson
- Unknown as Riley's companion (Photograph)
- Garza (Zombified)
- Thompson (Zombified)
- Wright (Confirmed Fate)
- Farley (Confirmed Fate)
- Stewart (Zombified)
- Waters (Zombified)
- Power (Confirmed Fate)
- Johnson (Zombified)
- Brown (Confirmed Fate)
- Rogers (Confirmed Fate)
- Nelson (Confirmed Fate)
- Cox (Confirmed Fate)
- Green (Off-Screen, Zombified)
- Riley's Companion (Confirmed Fate)
- 1 unnamed cultist (Confirmed Fate; Zombified)
- 135 unnamed USS Pennsylvania crewmembers (Confirmed Fate)
- First appearance of Garza. (Zombified)
- First (and last) appearance of Thompson. (Zombified)
- First (and last) appearance of Wright. (Corpse)
- First (and last) appearance of Farley. (Corpse)
- First (and last) appearance of Stewart. (Zombified)
- First (and last) appearance of Waters. (Zombified)
- First (and last) appearance of Power. (Zombified)
- First (and last) appearance of Johnson. (Zombified)
- First (and last) appearance of Brown. (Zombified)
- First (and last) appearance of Rogers. (Zombified)
- First (and last) appearance of Nelson. (Zombified)
- The title of the episode, "USS Pennsylvania", refers to the beached submarine that the Doomsday Cult are interested in.
- The submarine's name is visible in the picture of Riley that Morgan finds in Riley's old bunk.
- This episode was made available for streaming to subscribers of AMC Premiere on June 3, 2021.
- Riley is revealed to have been the weapons officer for the submarine which is how the cult knew of the submarine and how to use its nuclear missiles.
- Valley Town is abandoned by its residents due to the threat of nuclear destruction.
- Morgan retrieves his axe from the ground before abandoning Valley Town, using it again for the first time since "Things Left to Do". The axe is later broken by Victor Strand, leaving Morgan's staff and the broken-off axe head.
- It's shown that an unknown catastrophe befell the crew of the sub, leaving most of them as walkers. Dwight and Sherry find four crewmembers who are dead in their bunks, two handcuffed together for some reason. In one part of the sub, the radiation levels indicate exposed radioactive material, but none of the crew show signs of having died from the radiation and most of the sub has safe radiation levels to the point that Grace is surprised by how low they are even without a breached reactor chamber.
- Morgan and Strand are cautious while facing off against a reanimated cultist who died of radiation poisoning and use a cloth-wrapped knife to put her down that is subsequently abandoned. This is a reference to the first half of Season 5 when Morgan's group was warned about the danger of facing radioactive walkers.
- Teddy and Riley succeed in launching one nuclear missile containing ten warheads before Morgan and Strand can stop them. Riley and Teddy state that the warheads are targeted for locations in Texas, including possibly the border and Valley Town.
- Despite Thompson being put down when the group first enters the ship, he is later seen again with two other zombies chasing after Morgan and Victor.