Hi everyone! I think this is the first time I've made a blog post in 6 years LOL. Anyway, today's topic is in regards to the labels we use for spouses (husband/wife) in the character infoboxes - I've discussed this recently with Admin Keep and the rest of the admin team is aware of what's to come. Currently, we use "former" in the infobox when a character who has a spouse dies. Now I've ignored this for quite some time but this term is simply incorrect, as "former" suggests the person has divorced their spouse, and I did some poking around and found several sources that provided some insight, here's a selection of what I found:
- "There is no indication whether that wife is alive or dead. "Former wife" is used for a person who was once the wife and isn't now. It is usually not used for a person who died while being the wife. So the "former wife" would be a divorced wife, with no indication whether that former wife is alive or dead."
- "If you are divorced, your former wife/husband is you ex-wife/husband. We often just say 'ex-'. If you are dead, your surviving wife/husband is your widow/widower."
- "Former wife" is used for a person who was once the wife and isn't now. It is usually not used for a person who died while being the wife. So the "former wife" would be a divorced wife, with no indication whether that former wife is alive or dead."
- "As defined by virtually every dictionary in every language, "ex" means former. The death of a spouse of partner does not nullify a marriage or relationship - that sort of nullification involves a divorce or a breakup."
I proposed to the admin team that we modify the character infoboxes across the wiki to remove "former" since it can be ambiguous/incorrect in certain cases, and use the following terms:
- Ex-Wife & Ex-Husband for those who are divorced.
- Late Wife & Late Husband for those who had a spouse who died.
- For example, Carol Peletier would have Late Husband in her infobox regarding Ed Peletier.
- For characters who had a spouse when they died, can leave as is (ie. Wife or Husband). It’s not typical to add “Former” next to the spouse name.
- For example, Lori Grimes would have Husband in her infobox regarding Rick Grimes, not Late Husband or Ex-Husband or Former Husband. Rick was Lori’s husband at the time of death.
This would clear up a lot of confusion and provide more accurate terms when it comes to labeling marriages in the infoboxes for characters.
Lastly, Admin DalesRV suggested we remove (Deceased) in the character infoboxes and instead use the † symbol, as this would be visually appealing and prevent the tag (Deceased) from being broken up in some cases due to space.
Please feel free to make these updates to characters as you come across their pages & infoboxes on the wiki. That is all!
Your Friendly Admin,