|This article is about the Video Game character. You may be looking for his Road to Survival counterpart, the other Road to Survival character or the Comic Series character.|
Nothing is known about his life before or as the outbreak began except that he may have known Jonas before the apocalypse occurred.
Zachary is first encountered on The Mobjack alongside Randall. Back at Monroe, he is present when Randall locks up Samantha and Michonne in a room. Whilst Norma is interrogating Michonne and Greg, Randall begins to beat up Michonne, causing Zachary to rush upstairs and help Michonne back to her chair. He pleads with Randall to stop, staying the interrogation "isn't working", only for Randall to turn on Zachary.
After Greg and Michonne go to Jonas's quarters, Randall begins to lay into Zachary, insulting his work ethics and attitude, and commands him to interrogate the captives. He reluctantly does so. Being watched by Randall, Zachary points the gun between the siblings and Michonne, nervously asking them questions. After being taunted and provoked by Randall some more, Zachary takes aim at Samantha, only for Greg to be shot. Randall is furious and takes Zachary out of the room.
After Michonne and Samantha kill the zombified Greg, Zachary worriedly re-enters the room. Michonne immediately beats him down and his gun falls to the ground, where it is picked up by Samantha. Alternatively, Michonne does not lash out, allowing Zachary to draw his gun only for it to be snatched away by Sam. (Determinant) She aims it at him whilst he pleads his innocence. Michonne has the choice whether to wrestle the gun off of Samantha, sparing Zachary; or let her shoot him. If it's the latter case, she shoots him in the head, instantly killing him.
If Zachary was shot in the previous episode, he will be present at the beginning of this episode as a corpse.
However, if Zachary was spared, he will thank Samantha for not killing him, and will promise to help them escape. As Jonas re-enters the room, the two will embrace. The two then leave with Michonne and Samantha. They will soon encounter a guard named Joe, and Jonas will help Zachary distract him so that Michonne can reunite with Pete. After this distraction, his fate is left unknown as he is not seen for the rest of the episode.
If Zachary was not killed in episode 1, he will be present when Norma and the remaining Monroe colonists arrive at the Fairbanks' house. In turn, Jonas will not feel the need to shoot Berto in retribution for the death of his boyfriend; instead, an enraged Gabby will end Berto's life due to her frustration surrounding the efforts Monroe has gone to in order to retrieve Randall. Zachary can be heard reacting after Gabby is shot by Pete in turn, calling out for her along with Jonas.
After both groups fail to use pacifism to negotiate the exchange of group members, Zachary can be seen attempting to enter the gates along with the rest of the colonists as walkers approach and crowd them in. Once the gate has been broken down, he can be observed defending both the house and the colony from the walkers that have entered through the breach.
After Michonne is attacked by Norma and her head is shoved into the collection of water in the ground, Zachary comes to Michonne's defense, hitting Norma across the back with a large branch, pleading for her to stop attacking Michonne. Norma responds by turning around and shooting him in the head with the handgun that Michonne had previously dropped on the ground when attacked, killing him. His corpse is then left to be devoured by walkers.
Death (In Too Deep)
- Killed By
After the interrogation with Norma and Randall, Randall gives his gun to Zachary to make Greg, Samantha, and Michonne talk, since he wasn't getting any answers. Randall forced him to do something about the situation, and this led Zachary to aim at Samantha. Greg then moves in front of her, and is shot and killed by Zachary. Randall leaves with him, and when he comes back he sees Greg's corpse. He gets nervous and tries to explain to Samantha that it was an accident and that he didn't meant to shoot him, and Samantha gets his gun and asks Michonne if she is with her. If Michonne accepts, Samantha will kill him in revenge.
Death (What We Deserve)
- Killed By
- Himself (Caused, Sacrifice)
If Zachary is spared in In Too Deep, he will appear with Norma's group when they arrive to the Fairbanks Residence. During the gunfight, he attacks Norma in an attempt to save Michonne, but is immediately shot in the head by her after doing so. His death is shortly avenged by Michonne.
This list shows the victims Zachary has killed:
- Greg Fairbanks (Alive, Accidental)
- Himself (Caused, Sacrifice, Determinant)
- Numerous counts of unnamed people (Indirectly Caused)
- Numerous counts of zombies
- "Jonas! I thought you'd have more time."
- —Zachary to Jonas.[src]
Jonas is Zachary's boyfriend. When Zachary returns to Monroe, Jonas is happy that he returns safely. Jonas is very deeply saddened if Zachary is killed, and will kill Berto as a form of revenge (Determinant). If Zachary was saved by Michonne, he will embrace Jonas and the two will assist Michonne, Pete, and Samantha in escaping the community if they ask. Jonas can be heard calling out his name in the background after Norma shoots him, clearly in shock and despair at having witnessed his death.
- "Look, whatever you're gonna do, Randall..."
- —Zachary to Randall.[src]
Randall harasses Zachary for his sexuality and for not doing anything beneficial in Monroe. Zachary doesn't like the way Randall treats Michonne, Samantha, and Greg. If he is spared, Zachary admits that he should've killed Randall instead of Greg.
- "It was an accident, I swear okay-- I swear!"
- —Zachary pleading for his life to Sam.[src]
Samantha loathes Zachary for accidentally murdering Greg. If Michonne saved Zachary, he helps them escape from Monroe, and after seeing him embrace Jonas, Samantha will feel horrible and will thank Michonne for stopping her murder attempt. If Zachary was killed, she will feel regret shooting Zachary when watching Jonas cry over his death.
- "Leave her alone! She didn't --"
- —Zachary defending Michonne from Norma. (Determinant)[src]
- "Norma, please. Okay, this isn't working."
- —Zachary to Norma about Randall.[src]
- "Gabby, it wasn't her fault! "
- —Zachary defending Michonne from Gabby. (Determinant)[src]
- "Leave him alone, okay? He's just a kid."
- —Zachary defending Greg from Randall.[src]
- Zachary and Jonas are the second homosexual couple in the game, the first being Walter and Matthew.
- Zachary is one of many characters to be an amputee in the Video Game series, with two of his fingers removed, being chopped off. Screencap
- It is unknown why or how this happened as it was never mentioned and barely visible.
- Zachary is the only character who dies in different episodes but in the same way, killed by a shot to the forehead.
- Zachary is one of twelve LGBT characters to appear in the video game, the others being his former boyfriend Jonas, Matthew, Walter, Paige, Javier García, Paul Monroe, Violet, Minerva, Clementine, James, and Charlie.
- Zachary is one of the many characters with a determinant status in one episode, only to have a dead status in a later episode, the others being Carley, Doug, Ben, Alvin, Peter, Nick, Randall, Badger, Rufus, Ava, and Tripp.
- Zachary (Determinant) is one of the eight characters to appear in all three episodes of Michonne, the others being, Michonne, Pete, Samantha, Gabby, Randall, Norma, and Jonas.